The Quest or Undercroft?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Garbagemaster, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    In your opinion, which is more enjoyable? I know...one's free and the other is 4.99. Just wondering in terms of fun and playability.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    They're both awesome! ;)

Understory has the Dungeon Master 2 gameplay down, faster gameplay, a party, but is much more linear.

The Quest has a hugemongous open 3D world, many expansions, a great quest system, more to do overall, but suffers from "Rambo" symdrome IMHO. Thankfully another level 0 expansion has been written - The Cursed Chess Set.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If you want depth and have enough patience (I don't) then go for the Quest. For sheer fun, Undercroft without a doubt.

4. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    get Undercroft as it is free (and awesome) - but I prefer The Quest.

5. FraggleJP

FraggleJP Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    You can't go wrong with either, I'd say. The quest has more depth and is a very rewarding, great game. But I find myself playing Undercroft more. I think it has the edge for fun, a certain je ne sais quoi.:)

6. pmckean

pmckean Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Both are worth your precious time. Undercroft feels like a tighter 'story' to me, and I personally prefer the graphics but The Quest has plenty going for it.

7. Undercroft is free... Get both.
    I like them both - only the strange zoom with graphics in UC makes me feel a bit funny o.o
    TQ doesn't have this problem and the world is more expansive.

8. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Undercroft has regularly little puzzles or sort of enigma or problems to solve. Nothing very difficult but good enough to add a lot of charm to exploration. I didn't played much the Quest but didn't notice this in it and the exploration seem to me a little tedious.

Undercroft isn't linear but proceed by successive area and use realistic blocking parts to unlock more exploration parts in an area. But it's far from the linearity of many RPG and it's not free like some sandbox RPG.

I suppose I should try play again the Quest... and finish a day Undercroft. :D

9. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I prefer The Quest for its complexity and openness, but Undercroft has a lot going for it as well. Someone mentioned the simple puzzles, which is a good instance. As everyone else has already said, both are worth having.

10. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks for the great input everyone :)
    Sounds like instead of one or the other, I'll order up the Undercroft appetizer. When I'm ready for the main course, I'll get The Quest.