iPad The Quest or Rogue Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by gunslinger, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    The Quest is deeper but Rogue Touch is cheaper (but its only introductionary price and its so simple without any NPCs and side quests).

2. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I've been asking myself the same question.

I'm afraid that Rogue Touch is too simple but that the Quest may be too complex for a mobile game.

3. preuve

preuve Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    #3 preuve, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
    Personally, I don't have enough time to play a full blown RPG on the iPhone. Rogue Touch is simple to pick up and play but yet addictive if you like dungeon crawling games. If you have played and liked playing a Roguelike game before such as Nethack, Angband or ADOM, I think Rogue Touch is the way to go.

The developer is very active on the forums and looks to be bringing more content to enhance the original Rogue experience.

There are no NPC's and only 1 quest but it's addictive!!

4. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah and I really like how things are shaping up with Rogue Touch (sure I'm biased as a HUGE roguelike fanatic). If I understand CommanderData's intent correctly his first and immediate focus will be to fully optimize the interface based largely on players' feedback BUT THEN (and likely not as quickly) add a little new content after a while. Not too clear if this will come by way of new beasties, items, or whatever, but it should prove interesting (and, again, he seems really open to constructive feedback).

5. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    You guys just convinced me, I'm downloading Rogue Touch now, The Quest will have to wait a little while.
    :)

6. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support and vote of confidence in Rogue Touch! Funny you mention updates... I'm about to start a thread with version 1.1 info for you all :)

We're actually going to be giving you some control enhancements and bonus items in the first update. Watch for the new thread for more info shortly!

7. Kirtas

Kirtas Active Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I couldn't decide either so I bought both of them. 95% of my playtime since then has been with Rogue Touch.
    I know I'll get to the Quest eventually (maybe tonight), it's a great game also . It's just that Rogue offers that old school feel thats been working for the game for the 20+ years its been around.

8. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    I would actually get both ---- I bought them both and they are great games. Rogue Touch looks like the dev is very active here and will keep improving his game which is already pretty solid. If you want more involvement and want to spend more than 2-10 minutes on a game get The Quest. For under 10$ splurge and buy both ---the summer is coming soon. Get ready to relax now.

I live in Canada so I have to have hope that we will get summer this year

Mabey buy Rogue Touch is you are strapped for cash and then get The Quest on payday!

9. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    rouge has been out for like a year and it's free u shud have tried dat b4 buying rouge touch

10. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I played nethack while administrating unix many years ago and tried the free iphone version. Its good but i like the Rogue Touch developer activity so i think im in :) But looking forward to The Quest sale ;)

11. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

The Quest is amazing. Very deep and very well done. The controls are great, and I can really get into this one. Just go get it.

12. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    the quest. my favorite game so far.

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    In my opinion, The Quest, is the best RPG out now--if you like true hardcore RPG games. However, as others have indicated the game requires a lot of time invested to really appreciate the complexity offered. Once you play through there’s not much replay value unless you create a new character—such as going from a ranger or fighter to a mage. While many quests are simple the interface and RPG element controls take some getting used to. You can raise money by playing card games, make your own potions by mixing elements you find in the world, increase various skills and player attributes—completely develop a unique character. The world is 3D from a first-person perspective but monsters and other interacting beings are 2D, but that combination does work for me. There are also a lot of animations as well as weather and day/night effects. It’s like old-school Elder Scrolls. Given all this the game is well worth the money.

Rogue Touch, on the other hand, offers a simpler interface from a top-down perspective. It’s less expensive and requires less vested time. The dungeon is auto-populated which may add to the replay value.

14. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    buying quest now
    :D:D:D:p:D:D

15. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I haven't had the opportunity to play Rogue Touch yet, but The Quest is a very well developed, intricate game. If you have the time to put into it then you should find the experience very rewarding. I would agree that there's not necessarily a lot of replay value, but you can easily dump 30-40 hours of game time into it trying to do all the quests. For $6 that's a pretty good deal. Also, if all goes well they are going to update the game some day to support expansions just like the Pocket PC and Palm versions of the game does. And, I believe that if this happens, the current set of expansions will work on the iPhone (though you shouldn't hold me to that).

16. Mhans13

Mhans13 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    yeah I haven't gotten rouge touch yet but the quest is ridiculously in depth. if you have time to kill then deffinitly get the quest.