The Quest - official Mission Pack 'Islands of Ice and Fire'

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Chillingo, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SceneKidChaos

SceneKidChaos New Member

May 10, 2009
    Mages can hit insanely high numbers... But spells get really expensive later on, once u get attack magic over 100. But seriously, Sylons Amulet plus Archmage Staff plus a good magic boost potion and then firing off Lightning Storm! kills anything I think.

Anyways yeah officially beat the game on all races WHERES THE EXPANSION!!!

2. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    The EXPANSION is finally OUT! :D

You can access it from Mithria harbor at any time (which means that you must reach Mithria harbor first of course). You can also come back to the original areas any time (I mean from the place you arrive to, not from anywhere and it costs money, but at that time in the game it shouldn't be much problem). So you don't have to finish all your quests and explore every area in the base game, you can take a peek right now.

However be warned, it is quite a rough place, the "official" recommendation is to be at least level 14, but I would say it doesn't hurt if your character is at least level 15 and well equipped, and especially, have high magic resistance. ;) (Not a problem for a lot of you I think :))

It is recommended to play the game as intended (as an expansion to The Quest) and not start a new, expansion only character. You cannot take your expansion character to the base game.

Happy gaming!

3. fantomik

fantomik Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    Just saw it on pandorabox :) But technically speaking -- when I buy the expansion will it be seen as a separate icon in my springboard or it just unlocks some functionality in already bought "the Quest" application? (if it is a separate app, how is the character sharing between them work as all apps are sandboxed as far as I remember?)

Cheers,
    f.

4. james C

james C Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Yeah i was wondering about that too. How exactly does it work?

5. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    It is really simple how the expansion works. :)

When you start it, there will be an "Enable expansion in The Quest" menu point. Tap it, answer yes, and that's it. You'll see. :)

You can delete the expansion app afterwards.

6. aendaman

aendaman Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Wicked, be getting it tonite.

7. fantomik

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    Thanks for the explanation :) I'll get the expansion today.

Cheers,
    f.

8. tharald

tharald New Member

May 22, 2009
    Problem enabling expansion

I am having problems enabling the expansion. I have upgraded the original game. When I launch the expansion and click "Enable expansion in The Quest" and continue on the warning, I get a message saying (translated from Norwegian)

"Limited URL
    URL was not loaded
    thequest:exp1"
    plus a lot of characters.

I have a jailbroken original iPhone with the newest 2.x operating system.

Any help? I would like to play as an expansion and not as a standalone.

Sincerely, Tharald

9. fantomik

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    Do you have internet connectivity on the iPhone? (without some proxies etc...) As it seems the Expansion needs to send your iPhone identification numer (or other uuid which identifies your device) to dev's server, then original "the Quest" game contacts the same server and gets the information that you enabled the expansion.

Cheers,
    f.

10. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    It should work if you have the latest version of the base game (2.0). Try to reset your iPhone and make sure it is not full (if you have at least around 60 Megabytes free, that shouldn't be a problem).

Maybe it doesn't work because your iPhone is jailbroken. Try "un"-jailbraking it.

You might try to delete both the base game and the expansion and redownload them (maybe one of them became corrupted), but you'll lose your save games then, of course.

And if you still have problems, please write to our support email address. :) You can find it by going to our website "www.redshift.hu", and clicking the "Contact Us" link.

11. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    No, the game doesn't need internet access. :) This URL handling works entirely on the iPhone.

12. fantomik

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    Interesting :) So it is possible to communicate between two sandboxed applications using some custom uri schemas?

And sorry Tharald for misleading you :-/ It was my best take ;)

Cheers,
    f.

13. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes, we use it to transfer the saved games from the Lite version to the full version, and to enable the expansion in the base game. :)

14. fantomik

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    Hmm... then it would be also possible to forge the "save game url" to get quite powerful starting character ;) But it is only a thought... ;)

Cheers,
    f.

15. tharald

tharald New Member

May 22, 2009
    Re: Problem enabling expansion

Thanks for the answers. I need my phone jailbroken, and Id rather keep my old Character, so I guess I'll play the standalone:)

-Tharald