Universal The Quest Keeper (By Tyson Ibele)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Nope everything's fine :D

2. tornadogaming

tornadogaming Active Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Hi Tyson,Great job on the game. We've enjoyed our first taste of The Quest Keeper very much.
    Thanks also to the guys on this thread for bringing this one to our attention.

For those like us who are coming in a little late in the piece, here's our review:

3. Miaaaou

Miaaaou Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Request: could we get in Some chests, maybe of other colours, a bit of our health/life back once we died once?

4. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Hey there great game!

2 issues:
    1. In the angel mode I reached a point where a block of a bridge was falling after using a safe point which made it impossible to progress.
    I reloaded like 5 times after dying but every single time the block was falling down befor I could step on it even with the shortest route possible. It fell after I reached the tile 2 tiles way like: bridgeblock - block - me.
    2. In the second mission my view was blocked from a tree which made me unable to see like 2x3 blocks, so I had to guess where to go (with the new viewing angle).

I will add screenshots later.

5. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Great game which makes me want to play zombox even more :)!

6. tysonibele

tysonibele Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! Screenshots are ideal when it comes to helping me address issues.

The health chests/powerups are a great idea - I put them on the todo list.

Thanks for the review TornadoGaming! I enjoyed hearing both your and your son's reactions :)

7. PrgSkidmark

PrgSkidmark New Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Keep Spikes lowered shoes

I love The Quest Keeper. I'm glad to have found it via the TouchArcade post. I have also paid to remove the Ads as its so worth it.
    I like the shoes that keep the spikes lowered and the staff to lower the gates.
    I have found in 2 occurrences the spikes killed me. I think the circumstances the spikes came up and killed me when there were 2 spike squares side by side and I ran over the first and the second was in the process of coming up.
    The new update in top down mode is really cool addition. I love your involvement and I can't wait for all the new additions.
    Doug

8. Seiza616

Seiza616 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I have to say, overall the game is tremendous and it is much better than Crossy Road in my opinion.

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Quest Keeper has potential. The main reason I think Crossy Road is so popular is because you can tell a lot of thought went into the sizing of sprites. Everything is balanced so that your character, obstacles, and placement squares are not too far or near in view - Quest Keeper not so much.

The other major thing Crossy Road nailed is how rolling logs function. There's a balance between how they speed up, slow down to align in front of your character, how you can jump in anticipation of a log rolling in your path and make the jump in a floaty fashion that fits with the game. Logs are completely broken in Quest Keeper, so much so you begin to think to yourself why even continue playing with how frustrating they are. Yes I believe in gaming challenges, but game designs specifically mobile games should ramp up those challenges - rivers/logs in Quest Keeper don't do that.

Some people might respond stating, don't worry you can unlock upgrades that slow down logs, slow your character, ect., ect. And the major question I have to ask is, should I have to? When it comes to a game, any game - shouldn't unlockables add value to what is already there, or should they allow me to control gameplay? Would Super Mario be as iconic as it is today if we had to grind 1000 stars on the first level to upgrade his running speed down because we could not make the first pipe jump?

In no way am I bashing Quest Keeper, I think it's extremely charming, but I think a lot of us here are passionate about gaming and I would love to hear your thoughts.

10. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks for that review, Cilo.

Not sure what you mean by the sizing of the sprites. I think things in QK are pretty consistent in size. Do you mean the distance you can see ahead?

As for logs, while they're not broken as you say (I haven't heard any reports of people finding them bugged out or anything). You raise a very fair point: there's no ramp in their difficulty. Right from the start they move quickly. I have put on my todo-list to have their speed only ramp up as you progress much further in the level. I think it's very fair to say that right now they move too fast at the beginning, and may be too challenging for playing who are just learning the mechanics.

Cheers!

11. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    i am sorry but can anyone pls tell me how to change the view? i dont really understand the script in the app store, thanks.

12. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    There is a blue square in the top right of the screen. Tap it :)

13. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #113 Cilo, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    IMG_6619.PNG IMG_6618.PNG

@tysonibele I would say it's a combination of both. Look at these two screens in comparison - I'm playing on an iPhone 5 btw. Look at the space between objects, the tilesets are drastically different. Yes I understand they aren't the same game, I am just pointing out how that detail will hinder engaging gameplay. Also look at the draw distance and placement of my character. According to Crossy Road, I am 8 tiles into the game which is at a very fair point in the beginning and I can clearly see my path mainly because my toon is at a respectable point on screen. Now look at the screenshot of Quest Keeper where you can see I have not started the level yet. However, I am already at a halfway position on screen making gameplay choices more difficult due to game design, not how I am playing. I could comment on how a new game has a very high chance of throwing you a path like the one in that screenshot, and you will have to run into a block for some time to plan your route, but I am sure that will change once I unlock Crossy Cleats.

May I point out one major positive about Quest Keeper that I love - the screen is not constantly moving downward. You have plenty of time to work through obstacles and enjoy the game.

14. PrgSkidmark

PrgSkidmark New Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Unopenable chest

I found a red chest that will not open. It's the first I have found like this. I hit it from all sides. The chests before and after it opened fine. I have attached a screenshot.
    Doug

Attached Files:

15. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    Ah, you're the second person to find an un-openable chest. I'll review the code and try to figure out what's going on :)

16. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I too have run into an unopenable chest.

17. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks for your detailed review, Cilo, as well as the screenshot comparison to help explain your points. I take all critique to heart and will see what I can do to rectify some of the problems you list.

18. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I can't believe this is already updated with portrait mode and a ton of fixes. Can't reccomend this enough.

19. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Portrait mode is the way this game should have launched. Awesome now.

20. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Not just me then. I lost about 1000 coins, several different outfit items, unlocks for 5 quests and a few relics. I was on 3 hearts, now I'm back to one.

I had no network connection the first time I played after upgrading. Don't know if that's related? Otherwise it was a normal upgrade.