Universal The Quest HD (By Redshift)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Trauma Nurse
    Phoenix
    This is my third time buying this game. Worth it the first time way back for my Dell Axim x51v, then on my iPhone, and now for the iPad. I know English is not the developers native language, however, the story line is compelling enough to sustain three playthroughs (even with some grammatical errprs) and the gameplay mechanics are solid and enjoyable. Looking forward to the Quest 2. BTW, will buy again when the Android version comes out!

2. Aerion

Aerion Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    This is a great game truly in the spirit of MM6, beautiful UI too.

I could be neurotic, but what disturbs me is that the row with the health bar, mana bar and portrait is not centered, all other rows are, looks unfinished somehow.

Bought and recommended!

3. fusermarucs

fusermarucs Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Fantastic news - I was disappointed when I saw it was iPad only. I hope you'll be keeping the portrait layout option from the orgiginal game: it is one of the few 'proper' games on the iPhone that you can play one-handed! Looking forward to this now - thanks Elendil :)

4. SPM21Bucky

SPM21Bucky Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Male
    #64 SPM21Bucky, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    I purchased The Quest Gold years ago and it never left my devices. I played it on my iPad more than I ever did on my phone. This updated version looks great, but some of the movement buttons seem really small. I find myself sometimes moving in a wrong direction, I don't remember having that problem before (in the Gold version). I was hoping that expansions would be released in app so that I could use this character, much like the Gold version, but I can understand wanting to be in the pay once and play list. Too bad IAP is such a huge turn off for some, especially when it's pretty much like another whole game in the main game app. So many people feel every update to a game should be free, but there is so much extra content in these games, no way that much work can be free. I'm hoping that expansions for The Quest 2 will be in app, I really enjoy a growing world more than having a bunch of separate apps for different parts of the same game. Great work, really enjoying the HD version!
    Edit: Almost forgot, love that we can add our own notes now...wish I could see my points of interest on the mini map, but being able to click on the map and see them is a huge improvement, in my opinion!

5. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    You can do that with all expansions for The Quest, not just the ones already in The Quest Gold! Just select "Enable expansion in The Quest" on the main menu in any of the expansion apps (while having The Quest Gold installed). This should start The Quest Gold, which will notify you of this. Restart The Quest Gold and you can go to the expansion with your existing character.

6. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Then in a week or two, my silver shall line your pockets! Can't wait - but as my iPad is jailbroken, I'm not willing to update to iOS 9 and lose that. iPhone 6S is running 9 so it's the only way I can enjoy this in HD for now.

Are you sure about Apple not permitting backward compatibility? Seems a little....erm.... backward to me. And knowing how many people hold on to old versions of iOS because they want to avoid bugs or don't want to lose certain functions from old builds, you shouldn't use the assumption that everyone can update to iOS9 and therefore they will - possibly cutting yourself out of the more tech savvy customer base there.

7. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    I've looked into it, and it seems I can lower the iOS version requirement in a new build.

Anyone with iOS8 willing to test? If so, please write to us with your device type (iPad only) and your iOS version. (To write, click "contact us" on redshift.hu)

8. PerfChick

PerfChick New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Release in Europe?

Cannot find Quest HD in my app store. Will it arrive in Europe too?

9. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    It should be available everywhere.

Try searching for "the quest redshift".

10. PerfChick

PerfChick New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Thanks. Found it and bought it. :)

11. spsummer

spsummer Active Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Just a quick question on gameplay... Are there a lot of "puzzles" in this game? There were a couple in Grimrock that ruined the game for me. Thanks

12. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Honestly,I'm suggesting new TQ peeps in here to buy the original iPhone "classic" version if you want to play all the great expansions such as Hero of Lukomorye series,Mitrhil horde series,Asteroids,Celtic,etc since it will be pretty much impossible and way too time consuming to upgrade their graphics just like the original game's graphics.

Expansions contain a lot of puzzles (and that's great) but the main game is not so tricky,you've got catacomber.com website with all the necessary info about solving hard quests,I believe that all the quests in this version of the game are equal to the quests from the old version (it seems obvious) , so it should not be much of a problem to check that website out if you got stuck on some quest :)

13. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I would absolutely LOVE to help test a build with iOS 8 compatibility! Also, I will be immediately buying this for my iPhone 6S as soon as the Universal update drops! Sending PM for iOS 8 build testing!

14. tarek

tarek Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    When did the original come out? I swear I've played this before, but a long time ago on my iPhone. Or is this a different game? Might have to go back and check my purchases.

15. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    It came out about 6-7 years ago I think.I remember playing this when I was just a kid,good times...brings so many memories.Live long The Quest,live long Redshift,live long Zarista!

16. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It came out in early 2009 on iOS, before the AppStore was even a year old. I come out originally for pocket PC a couple of years before that. The game is nearly 10 years old, and no one else has made a mobile RPG that matches its strengths in all that time.

17. Magellan

Magellan New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    The classic version is the best mobile RPG period! I would definitely buy the HD version day 1 if it's released for iPhone 6.

18. ibis_87

ibis_87 Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    Manager
    Moscow, Russia.
    Could people who have played the game give a couple of pointers on gameplay?

I've left the initial village to find the mayor mentioned in the storyline. I chose the warrior class, so I bought some equipment for the money I had in the beginning (a helm and a shield). I had no problems fighting the initial raider ladies on the way to the town in the south, but around mind way there orcs and cloacked raiders appeared, who seem to be more powerful than me. Dealing not enough damage and running short on potions, I dashed to the town and made it, but I'm kinda trapped: a crowd of enemies waits for me at the gates and kills me as soon as I try to go out.

Was I supposed to grind first? Is it impossible to just follow the storyline? I have nothing against using my head to find out the best solutions to quests, but grinding is what makes me furious. If side quests are enough for gaining enough power for the main quest, that would also be fine with me. But wandering around and just killing monsters is what bores me to death

19. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    Don't worry, no grinding is necessary in the game. :)

It's not clear to me, but it seems you've started going south right after you've started the game? If so, that won't really work. You can't try and do only the main quest, unless you're very experienced in the game, and even then you might have problems.

There are many sidequests in the initial town (Matras) and around it. You should do them and only then head south. Generally it pays to find all the quests in a place and only proceed when you've done as much as you can. If you play slow, do all the quests (and explore alchemy and enchanting), you can become very powerful. ;)

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    ^ What he said. The amount of time you can spend doing quests and getting more powerful in just the initial town is basically how long many full iOS RPGs are. Seriously. Get rid of the stench, look into the rich guy's missing wife, find the Amazon cave, meet the ranger guy and his family, etc. etc. You certainly don't have to do everything possible, but don't just rush to the finish line. It's not a race.