Universal The Quest HD (By Redshift)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 27, 2016.

1. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Thanks! I'll definitely buy it on iPhone.

2. Arcsx3

Arcsx3 New Member

Feb 21, 2015
    If you bought a sandwich and it was good. Then you went back to the sandwich shop and they made it an even better sandwich would you have to buy that one too?

3. Arcsx3

Arcsx3 New Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I'll definitely buy it as soon as it's updated for my IPhone 6+

4. one21gigawatts

Jul 19, 2015
    #44 one21gigawatts, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    I don't suppose this includes any of the expansions that were previously released? I picked up pretty much all of the previously available content and would love to be able to use it, instead of having to rebuy everything.

Beggars can't be choosers though - just happy the HD version came to iOS. It's my preferred platform for stuff like this.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like my questions were answered in previous posts - can't wait to re purchase this bad boy.

5. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    While your review is generally very positive, I'm hesitant to hit "buy" mainly because of this issue. During your beta testing did you get a response from the developer regarding whether or not this would be addressed and a timetable?

6. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Actually, the Quest logs never update. :) I know it sounds strange, but The Quest was designed quite a while ago, and was explicitly designed to be old school, no hand holding. The game won't tell you every step where to go, there are no directional arrows to your next objective, etc. You get a textual description of what the quest is, and that's it. Finding your way around is part of the fun.

That said, the quest descriptions have been polished since The Quest was first released and most quests are not complicated at all. The textual quest descriptions will tell you where to go and who to talk to. Even in case of the more involved ones, there is usually a straigthforward way to do them (maybe not the best one). Also there are no mazes and you can't really get lost on the world map. And if you are stuck on a quest, there are guides for everything on our forums.

(And finally, The Quest 2 will have a more detailed quest system. :))

7. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Wow. Great analogy. It's hard to argue with that logic. I'm inclined to go with another sandwich, based on how great the first one was.

8. NaughtHere

NaughtHere Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    I think making the HD version universal would be brilliant. You can rename the non-hd versions The Quest Classic and The Quest Classic: Gold Edition. The new ones can be The Quest HD and The Quest HD: Gold Edition.

I think making more distinct icons for each product would also really help. Right now with all the expansions and versions all having the same 1-2 icons, it can be more difficult telling them apart at a glance.

Also, as soon as you make the HD version for iPhone, I'll be buying it.

9. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Oh man and it was a damn good sandwich, bread toasted just right, cheese melted just so mhhhh can't wait for the next sandwich

10. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    This is the first game thats come along thats made me update my ios from 8.1 to the latest 9.3!
    Thats how much i rate this game, i never wanted to update but for this i just has to.
    The immersion and gritty, creepy gameplay i get from this is well worth buying again.
    Anybody on the fence....you will not be dissapointed!!!✌#️#

11. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Great rpg, must buy.

12. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    So I know this question is taboo and what not but what do you think the timeframe for the iPhone version of this will be like 2 or so months?

13. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I sure hope not. It's quite the work, redesigning all game screens for the much smaller view, but hopefully it'll take only a week or two. :)

14. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Wow nice I like that time frame, once again redshift awes me with their cometment to fans what with all the patches the base game has gotten, the expansions (some thanks to zarista) and the fact that you still update a game that has been on the AppStore for as long as it has. Any other Dev team would have stopped the updates two maybe three months in but you all still update, really thanks, it's good to see devs that actually give a damn about there product

15. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Showing my age, but the earliest RPG's, Ultima, Bards tale, etc, placed the burden of quest tracking entirely on the user. In an age before Internet, wikis or even printed game guides, knowing what to do and where to go was often the biggest challenge.

16. Azi

Azi Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2014
    If this HD version comes out on iPhone, I'll instantly buy it. Purchased The Quest Gold before but sadly the graphic turned me off. The HD looks amazing and I'd love to play what's considered one of iPhone's greatest RPGs.

17. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    This was worth the wait. It's just beautiful.

18. denisvjcr

denisvjcr Active Member

Oct 2, 2012
    The game reminds me of might and magic series , I'm buying this.

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Hmm. I've downloaded the standard one twice now on my phone and deleted twice. Just could not get into it. There's certainly some that love it.
    I just couldn't put up with the first person stepwise play. Turning in circles to turn around just made me feel claustrophobic within the game (couldn't think of a better way to explain it).

But seeing all this again. I will download the standard edition on my 6+ and try once again.

20. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I would be leaving behind Bioshock, and all my emulators (iDOS 2 Daggerfall/Scummvm adventures, snes/nes/gba etc..)

I am tempted by this, and I own DotT (also cannot play on iPad because ios 9 req)... Really torn by this!!