Universal The Quest HD (By Redshift)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 27, 2016.

1. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Just picked up the game. Maaaan am I late to the party. It was pure curiosity that I was looking for an RPG I can play in portrait mode so googled for The Quest high res then HD appeared! And it's even on sale OMG! Never finished the SD version before because reasons.

2. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Enjoy! It's an incredible game for sure! :D

3. slighmd

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Definitely! I used to play this on my iPhone 3GS or 4, I can't remember lol. Now I'm sure to finish the game

4. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    I really like the HD version too! I started playing the original back in the day, but never finished it. I got back into it once the HD version released on iPhone, and now I can't put it down. The little improvements they added besides the graphics make the game even better than before. :)

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Do they have quest markers and such? I hate walking around not knowing where to go.

6. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    If you're referring to quest markers the way games like Order & Chaos do if, then you definitely won't find that here. This is an old school dungeon crawler that doesn't do a lot of hand holding. It does have a really good quest log that helps keep you going in the right direction, though. Plus, the HD version added the ability to place your own notes on the automap too. This was a BIG plus for me, personally. :) It's also handy to take screenshots of the NPC's conversation when they give you a quest because there's often specific details about that quest that won't show up in your quest log.

If you ever get stuck, though, there's an excellent The Quest Wiki available:

http://thequest.wikia.com/wiki/The_Quest_Wiki

7. slighmd

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    No hand holding here iirc. Just like the Might and Magic, Lands of Lore and EoB games. It requires you to read so you know where to go, maybe take notes as well

8. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015

I bought it largely on your positive comments and recommendation in the Exiled Kingdoms thread when it went on sale earlier this month, and I'm very glad that I did. I also own the Gold version of the original and it just didn't hook me, despite having an appreciation for older titles like Daggerfall and Morrowind.

I'm already playing both a thief and ... I guess you could say a battlemage (strength/intelligence with heavy armor/weapons and magic) type character, although I think of him in my head as more of a dark knight or death knight. I'm enjoying both playthroughs immensely. This game is probably the best reimagining of old school CRPG's that I've seen - even moreso than Exiled Kingdoms, in that there is ample opportunity to succeed by being clever, which always feels almost like cheating but not quite. That's a pretty cool feeling to have.

Plus like you said, the quests are structured in a much more interesting way than I've seen in most other CRPG's. I've even found things in my playthroughs that I don't even see mentioned in the various walkthroughs and FAQ's I've referred to sparingly so far to avoid wasting too much time banging my head against the wall. The quests are even well-written enough to be morally ambiguous so you're not facing obviously delineated moral choices like "pet puppy or kick puppy," which I think are typified by games like Fable, if you've ever played that.

My only complaint is that I'm suffering a great deal because of all of these damn RPG's going on sale, and you're cheerleading I feel is leading my life to ruin. Seriously - I've bought Exiled Kingdoms, The Quest HD, The Quest IoiaF HD, Sirilim 2, Pixel Heroes, and Card City Nights recently due to both sales and recommendations like yours.

You're at least partially responsible for this mess.

9. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Ha! I'm guilty as charged! :D

Glad to hear that you're really enjoying The Quest, though. I totally know what you mean about always finding new things too. Having multiple (and actually interesting) ways to complete quests is very rewarding too. It not only gives you a reason to replay the game to see how the "darkside" is, but it actually makes you think before choosing what to say to an NPC. Sometimes it means a specific NPC will leave the game for good or stop doing business with you based on your actions. There's not many games with game changing decisions like that available (especially on iOS). I also really enjoy the ability to double cross NPCs. I find their precious item and just decide to keep it for my own if I want to. Sometimes it's really worth not completing a specific quest in order to do so. For instance, Sohea's Mortar quest provides you with her own personal mortar & pedestal which is actually equivalent to a master grade one which you can't find until much later in the game. I always just keep her's for making my potions until I can purchase a master's mortar. :) Sneaky, sneaky!

10. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    *smacks forehead*

I'm way too much of a do-gooder by default when I play games like this, although I've been doing plenty of "evil" things with my two characters, which frustratingly hasn't translated into enough of a shift in terms of my alignment for my liking. I mean, helping a mage bring otherworldly evil from another dimension into the world should give me a huge push towards the darkside or it should at least sufficiently counter all of the little errands I've been doing like clearing up a toxic cloud blanketing a village and rescuing someone from Xena and her minions.

Fortunately becoming evil is as easy as going around whacking people with your sword and then paying one of the reputation cleaners around some scratch to make sure your background file disappears from the provincial office's records department, although I'm kind of hoping some of the decisions down the line allow me to become evil the old fashioned honest way.

A few random questions:

1) Can I just stow my excess crap in any old barrel and it'll be there forever? I've read conflicting reports indicating that any container is safe while others have mentioned specific ones like the one in the ruined crypt.

2) If I sell a unique or special piece of gear or item to the vendors, does that item have a chance of popping up in that shop or all shops' inventories from time to time indefinitely? I've also read some online comments indicating that selling a dropped item that wouldn't show up in shops before to one of said shops would ensure it appears in the shop(s) inventory from that point on.

3) I encountered an oddity with my Seiry rogue character. Out of the blue I went into inventory for something one time and noticed that I had a ton of gold. Like, a huge ton of gold. To the tune of $32,000. Now I'm only to the point of having done most of the quests in Vastares aside from the governor's one and have only really cleared everything from the upper peninsula where you begin the game down to the line going east and west from Vastares with one of two paths carved not too deep into the dwarves' territory.

How in the heck did I end up with so much gold? The only thing I've done out of the ordinary is play the card game against the innkeeper in the Vastares central court, to a much greater degree than I have with my other character, who hasn't as of yet woken up one morning to a Leprechaun's inheritance quietly stuffed into his purse in the night.

Is it a glitch? Did I accidentally execute some cheat or exploit? Did I just hit an achievement for playing the card game that when triggered effectively makes the game go, "Oh, eff it! Here's a crap ton of money. Stop playing the stupid card game and just get on with it already!"

11. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Glad you are enjoying the game. :)

1) There are special 'permanent' storage containers (not many) in which you can store things indefinitely. There is one where you've mentioned it (with a helpful plaque). All other containers get reset after you've been away for more than a week in game time. If you return to the map/level before that the timer resets, so actually you could keep your stuff in any old container but you'd need to return on the clock if you didn't want to lose them. :)

2) All shops have a setting which kind and quality of items they sell (randomly). It doesn't matter what you sell to them.

3) You can win a nice sum by playing cards, also some items can fetch a pretty price. 32000 doesn't seem like a normal glitch (like for example four billion would). And I've never heard about a 'gold gaining' glitch from anyone. (Maybe no one reported it for obvious reasons. :D)

12. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    #472 macatron, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Also, here's a link to a thread I posted a TON of useful stuff in.

http://linux.redshift.hu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4733

13. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    I don't know. It felt like I went from like 4-5k to the low 30k range instantly, but who knows. Maybe I just sold off lots of expensive items without really paying attention to the accounting.

Hello developer!

Since I have your attention, I wanted to ask you...

*spoilers*

Can I become the heir of Vastares if I have a high enough persuasion and personality by having the master thief open the chest bypassing the others and forging a fake will with me as the heir?

14. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Nope, you'll just get thrown in jail. Sorry. LOL!

15. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    Missed opportunity IMHO. ;)

Thanks again for your responses, mac.

16. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah, I agree, but it'd be pretty difficult to be a governor so early in the game with so many quests still to complete. :D

You're very welcome! I hope it all comes in handy. :)

17. alerator7777

alerator7777 New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Can't take the quest

I've got a question.Does this game lack some of the quests from the original "The quest"? For example, I read on the game wiki about a quest called "Holy Chrism" that should have been given by Alessandrea Donnen in the crypt of Donnen dinasty and "Bones of St.Vastar" that should have been given by Abbot Merik in the monastery of Vastares, but I don't get the quest through the dialogue with them, and even the question, I should ask them to get the mission is absent in the dialogue window.Does that mean that these quests aren't included in the new version of the game, or am I doing something wrong?

18. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Strange. I've personally completed the "Bones of St.Vastar" quest on the HD version, so I can at lease attest that it's in there. Not sure why you're not seeing the dialog path, though. The only thing I can think of is that you missed talking to one of the NPCs necessary to enable the quest.

19. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Thor's Hammer HD Expansion Confirmed!

Hello fellow Questers! I recently saw a post from Catacomber stating that they plan on making their next expansion, Thor's Hammer, for the HD version of the game! That would be make it the first HD expansion after The Islands of Ice and Fire. This is REALLY awesome news, and I hope it's just the beginning because I'd LOVE to see more expansions in HD. :D

Here's a link to the post:

http://www.catacomber.com/index.php/forum/the-quest-base-game/5105-lockpick-ability#10959

20. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Holy crap! That is fantastic news. #
    Hopefully it will actually happen and it's not just a pipe dream.