Universal The Quest HD (By Redshift)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 27, 2016.

1. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    I too would like to know whether this is the 'complete' version or merely the first part.

I'm guessing its just the first part however. They've done a thorough job of skirting references to the expansions, and this would leave them an open door to sell additional IAP/expansions/whatever.

I liked the game on my ipod and ipad1 back in the day, but am not about to pay a second time. HD or not, its the same game. (unless of course its complete, then you can have my money :))

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    It is likely this is just the very first part. Don't mind. Just do not make the additional contents into separate app(s)!

3. ibis_87

ibis_87 Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    Manager
    Moscow, Russia.
    Wow, out of nowhere and looks promosing. I vaguely remember starting to play the very first version on my N-Gage back in the day (it was a Series 60 version, I believe, not an N-Gage-specific one), but never finished it. The impressions were very positive, though.

4. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I know it's a long shot, but I'm really crossing my fingers a compatibility patch will allow this to run on iOS 8! I need to play this HD version (been waiting forever it seems) on my iPad Air, but I hate to leave iOS 8 and my emulators :(

If this gets iOS 8 support I will instabuy the crap out of this RPG Gold!

5. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Hi people, Elendil here, will try to answer your questions.

First, thank you for your enthusiasm, and we hope anyone who buys the game will enjoy it very much!

For anyone new to the game: as said before, it is quite old school, no hand holding. You'll need to read quite a lot and look around to find things, for example. There are usually more than one way to solve problems, and not all of them can be obvious. That said, I think it is not hard to play at all, if you take it one step at a time. :)

This is the main, updated game, just like on PC/Mac. In fact, it's a port of them, so save files are compatible between PC/Mac and the iPad. The saves are not compatible between the iPhone and this version, sorry.

I don't have any hardware with iOS8 and all supported iPads can be updated to iOS9, that's why I choose iOS9 as the targeted version. I don't think Apple allows lowering the targeted iOS version (also potential bugs and testing problems), so I don't think the game will support iOS8, sorry.

Speaking of hardware, the game is quite resource intensive. ;) That's the price for the graphics. There are two options in the settings which can improve performance and battery usage, especially the first: "limit fps to 30".

Now, on to expansions.

This is the base game, without any expansions. But that is quite an adventure in itself, as you know (and new players will find out). Initially, we planned to add our own expansion as an in-app purchase, but we found out at the last minute that only apps without any in-app purchases can be in the "Pay Once And Play" category. We think The Quest belongs there, as it is not the usual "free" mobile game, with in-app purchases.

We'll release our own expansion "Islands of Ice and Fire" as a standalone app, which will be able to enable itself in the base game, just like how it's done with the iPhone version.

All other expansions are by third parties. I'll be honest: it's not likely they will be released for The Quest HD. Most (all?) of them contain quite the amount of new graphics, lot of which was drawn by our graphic artist (Sylon). He is very busy with The Quest 2 and not likely to have the time to redraw them. There are other complications, as well. All in all, there might be other expansions, but we cannot promise more than Islands of Ice and Fire. (Which is still quite an expansion. :))

Connected to this is why it's only for iPads? Initially, we would have very much liked to update The Quest for the new graphics. However, this turned out to be unworkable. There is just two much difference between how the updated game works and how the original game works, graphically. In addition, the updated version would have needed to support all released expansions, naturally. But that presented yet more serious problems, not to say how jarring the mishmash of old and new graphics would have looked.

So, there you have it. The Quest iPhone version will remain, for all those expansions (I hope I don't tell something I shouldn't, but a new one is comming. ;)), and The Quest HD is here for new players and anyone wishing to experience the game in glorious HD. :D

And lastly, as was mentioned, you can add your own portraits to the game, here is how: http://linux.redshift.hu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4471

Have fun!

6. christianX0

christianX0 Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Male
    Sweden
    Will The Quest HD ever get an iPhone version?
    Please?
    Pretty please?
    Pretty please with sugar on top?

7. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Outstanding job. This has always been, and still is, my absolute favorite game on iOS. I can't wait for the next expansion!

My one request would be to include iCloud saving if possible. It is quite frustrating to lose months of advancement when I have to reset my phone or get a new one and forget to export the data manually.

8. ibis_87

ibis_87 Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    Manager
    Moscow, Russia.
    Wow,so convincing! Purchased :)

9. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I really don't understand why this is iPad only. I know there's an iPhone version already, but the iPhone could just as easily benefit from the new HD assets. I'm confused...

10. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thank you very much!

Also to eugenemcardle.

11. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I also think it should be supported for iphone also. Why not both?

The old version is iphone only? Yes, but could be played on Ipad. The new one is unplayable on iphones, though. Makes no sense to me.

Despite that, congratulations for the seemingly outstanding job. ;)

12. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    #32 Elendil / Redshift, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    For those who are asking why doesn't the game run on iPhone: We tought it would be even more confusing if there were three iPhone versions of The Quest (The Quest, The Quest Gold and The Quest HD).

But now, seeing your questions, we'll definitely think about updating The Quest HD to support iPhones too.

13. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Sweet will buy this once it is on iPhone I own the original and all the expansions and the one on steam now this question is going to seem silly but can you still do all the expansions with your hd char I understand that the expansions arnt hd, I'm just wondering if I can carry that char over

14. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Great news!!!!

15. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I remember buying this on my original iPod 3 and playing it on every break during highshool oh god the memories. Every Idevice I have ever owned has had a app folder dubbed the quest with the game and all the expansions(yes I know you can delete them after activation it's just I like keeping them to have, like trophies on my iOS wall lol)

the quest is one of the best games I have ever played in my life story content it's all there. Put up there with the greats like daggerfall ultima underworld, tes oblivion, and mortal online as one of the games that defined my gaming life thank you for your hard work and dedication to us fans.

16. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    As I've written, the save files are not compatible between The Quest (on the iPhone) and The Quest HD, sorry. (The saves are compatible between The Quest on PC/Mac and The Quest HD.)

17. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Can't wait to see how good the Amazon queen that my char always bangs looks in hd lol

18. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Ok cool it's all good there's like 60+ hours in the base game thanks for the info

19. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Are there any new portraits for chars in the hd verson?

20. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009