The PSPGo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tennisking1o1, May 30, 2009.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You're right.

And wrong.

They aren't game systems. But they aren't different in that one is an entertainment device and the other productivity.

iTouch/Phone (the platform is BOTH devices, btw, hence why I put it that way) is a mobile platform, not just an entertainment and/or productivity platform (they both, after all, run many of the same apps, as they are the SAME platform as I stated). And since they are the type of mobile devices that they are, they are "all in one" sorts of devices, hence not game systems as game systems, by definition, are primarily designed to run one type of software (in that case, games).

Exactly...but not in the way you're thinking.

To be in direct competition with PSP and DS, Apple would have to release a portable game system. They have not. They instead have released a mobile platform that is a viable platform for games.

Frankly, iTouch/Phone is more in competition with Android enabled devices, BREW headsets, Windows Mobile enable devices, and the upcoming ZuneHD than with dedicated game systems like DS and PSP.

Not really.

For an example, one need only look at the market for gaming on the PC platform. PCs are not dedicated game systems...they aren't game systems at all. And, NO, those "gaming PCs" do not count, as a PC is a PC, NOT a game system. PCs were NOT designed to run one thing above all else, and that is still apparent even in the "gaming PC" mold. They instead became a viable platform for games, despite the fact that they were not primarily designed for games. Hence why the industry still separates the PC gaming market from the video game home console market.

But to my point, PCs, although not game systems, have games that are every bit as "deep" as their home console brethren. Mobile platforms, like iTouch/Phone, can have the same against portable game systems. iTouch/Phone wasn't designed primarily with gaming in mind, but it has become a viable platform for games. And it can, in fact, have "epic" "deep" experiences...but it's all a matter of differences in consumer market, however, and developer interest in creating such "deep" games.

2. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't think you need to buy it at all, Hodapp.

From what I've read, this PSP Go is simply the PSP...sans UMD drive, and including an extra memory card slot. It seems PSP Go is a redesign, not a new "next gen" PSP. It's meant for those that don't currently own a PSP. Sony seems to be positioning it as an eventual replacement of the current 3000 model (as the 3000 model replaced the 2000 before it, which replaced the 1000 before it), not a "next gen" PSP.

Seems it'll have the same internal hardware, with the only differences being a "shrink" in said hardware, and the usage of digital downloads as the only game sales solution. Your current PSP has the same capability to use digital downloads (as seen with the recent releases via PSN for PSP), so you wouldn't need to buy this new hardware at all, really.

It'll probably sell for less than the current model due to the exclusion of the UMD drive (which is one reason...THE reason, really, PSP was always over the price of the portable game market "magic price point" of $149.99).

And that idea of it being just a new model of the current PSP is probably why it won't have two analog nubs or a touch screen. It's just a PSP...in new clothes.

3. TimothyR

TimothyR Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I heard in a video that the PSP 3000 was still going to be on the market when this comes out... ?

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The PSP is freakin' ancient. When's the next generation coming out? I mean, Nintendo limits itself to one remake (GB Advance -> GB Advance SP - Nintendo DS - Nintendo DS Lite). Sony has gone from PSP, PSP slim, PSP 3000, and now PSPGo?!

5. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    GBA > GBA SP > GBA Micro
    DS > DS Lite > DSi
    PSP (1000-3000 were sort of minor upgrades) > PSP go

:D

6. Dismiss

Dismiss Active Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Well, I only play on handheld systems when I absolutely have to (vacations or business trips, mostly), but when I do, the PSP always comes first compared to my DSL and iPhone 3G. Contrary to what many people are saying, I consider PSP games on average to be more "worthy" of my gaming time than other systems'. It's not only the superior graphics, the gameplay just seems more "substantial" on the PSP, for lack of a better term. I'd rather have a handful of games like Tekken DR, Vice City Stories and Rock Band Unplugged than a slew of abstract puzzlers I can hardly tell apart. That said, the PSP is a system begging to be modded. The difference is beyond comprehension.

Oh, and concerning the PSP Go, it's probably an attempt to attract the media crowd, and not a real gaming upgrade.

7. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    The difference between Nintendo's portable game systems and Sony's is that Nintendo's portables cost far less to manufacture, and thus have a lower MSRP upon release, but also, because of low manufacturing costs, have to go through less time on market in order to be profitable for the company. Hell, Nintendo, iirc, didn't lose any money on each hardware unit sold in the DS line, nor the GBA line beforehand because they sold them on day one for profit.

Sony, on the other hand, went with a totally different (and, IMHO, wrongheaded) business model of making high cost portable hardware that cost them money with each unit sold, and they need to keep the hardware on market longer in order to make it profitable and offset the earlier losses. Hence all the revisions. Each revision is (supposed to be) lower cost to make.

But they've made a bit of a gaffe on this new revision. No way it should've been priced at $249. It's just a very strange move.

8. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    i def be checking this ut and also purchasinf FF7 opn psn tonight for psp

9. Kiwii

Kiwii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    #49 Kiwii, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
    Obviously Sony only made the PSP Go to compete with iPod Touch.

I feel bad for Nintendo wii. Sony and Microsoft made Motion Controls. Made me mad because Nintendo was first. Too bad Nintendo gave up on making awesome/good games for the wii. My Wii is just an iPod Charger now.

10. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Um...Metroid Other M?

wait...Team Ninja is developing that one, with Nintendo (naturally) publishing.

Well...at least there's New Super Mario Bros. for Wii and Mario Galaxy 2 to look forward to from Nintendo EAD. Shame that those are the only Nintendo-made games that were big announcements. Kinda makes me wonder just what the hell Intelligent Systems, NST, and Retro Studios are all up to. I mean...Nintendo does remember that it has other 1st party dev studios...right?

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Please include a screen with a decent response time.

....Please?

12. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Knowing Sony, the screen will wind up being as bad if not worse.

And I pause at the fact that TV output hasn't been alluded to in the reports on PSP Go.

I have a feeling silly ass Sony will wind up taking TV output out of the hardware, and TV out was the reason I got a friggin' PSP. It's like...a hybrid portable/home video game console.

13. Kiwii

Kiwii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    The only good games are the ones Nintendo makes themselve. :S

Xbox's control free thing looks pretty awesome and fun to try out.

14. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    It's only the psp-1000 that bleeds. The other ones are fine. And btw I saw someone before say that they are making it eventually as a replacement for 3000. They're having both and it's not a replacement. The price officially is 250. I was considering maybe if it was 150. At 250 not a chance.