The PSPGo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tennisking1o1, May 30, 2009.

1. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Hey Guys. I don't know if you've seen it yet, but the PSPGo has been leaked. It's kind of a shame that Sony couldn't keep it under wraps until E3, but they also didn't protect it as well as they could have.

Here is a Picture. It does look a lot like the Mylo, which could be good or bad, depending on your personal preference. I think the lack of a second analog stick, still.., is a horrible mistake. I know I won't be picking one up, especially since I have only touched my old PSP1000 once in the past year

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You can say that again. A few years ago when all the homebrew stuff was really big I hacked my PSP, installed some emulators, had no desire to play Final Fantasy 6 for the 100th time, and it has been collecting dust ever since.

If I were Sony I would have invested the money that went in to this redesign in to building a game library that was worth playing. It is absolutely beyond me what has gotten in to Sony lately. They had a console dynasty that I honestly thought would run all the competition out of business with both the PSX and PS2.

What happened?

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Oh also, if this new PSP has a screen with the same ghosting issues that has plagued the PSP since launch day, I am going to lol harder than I've ever lol'd in my entire life.

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The Commodore 64 is sexier than... whatever this is.

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The sliding design looks good, but I'm not too sure about the nub placement, it seems a bit cramped. And I still can't believe that they haven't added a second analogue stick, Sony must be crazy. I'm trying to sell my PSP at the moment, it is new and in the original packaging because the insurance company gave me it when our house got robbed and they stole my PSP, lol. It was kind of good in a way, I didn't want the damn thing anymore when the App Store launched :D

6. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yup, same here. Just collecting dust.

I know, Sony has really dropped off. They might as well make some apps ;) They'd make more money on those then new games they make for this PSPGo thing. :rolleyes:

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I don't understand how Sony didn't realize that the reason the PSX and PS2 were such amazing successes is because during the last couple years of each console's lives you could buy a whole system bundle with a couple games for what, $150? Not only that, but both had libraries that were absolutely massive with all kinds of "Greatest Hits" games to be had for $20.

Then they release the $600 PS3 with $60 games, don't even get me started on the cell processor and the bluray drive. All they had to do was release a spiritual successor to the PS2 with slightly better graphics, slap it on a box for around $250, and they would have laughed all the way to the bank.

The things that have left me scratching my head about the PS3 don't even come close to the things that have me scratching my head about the PSP. The biggest "feature" of the PSP is its absolutely massive screen in comparison to every other handheld on the market at the time. ...But, they throw in a screen that has the response time of first generation LCD's? Throw in an analog nub but put it in a place that's incredibly awkward and uncomfortable to use for any length of time.

And it wasn't until the PSP Slim that Sony figured out that if they give the PSP a bigger cache it won't need to be spinning the UMD all the time. UMD's as a whole don't even make much sense. It seems like Sony wanted to position the PSP as some kind of portable movie player, but optical media is terrible for anything portable. I can throw my DS in one pocket, a couple cartridges in my other pocket and just let them rattle around with my keys. Can't quite do that with an optical disc!

Gah, my brain.

8. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009

My psp has been gathering dust too, but i'm gonna pick it up this fall when the big stuff starts rolling. In the video we see lbp psp for the first time, which will probably be a launch game for the psp go. We're also getting jak and dzxter, gran turismo, a new metal gear solid john koller mentioned in the video, motorstorm psp (which looks actually really good I have the ps3 version and its fun), tekken, soul calibur, pixel junk monsters deluxe, rock band (coming out soon, ign gave it an 8.something), and assassins creed, plust patapon 2 just came out and loco roco 2 came out in february. Thats a damn good lineup for one fall. They admitted they went about doing the psp wrong, but they are making up for it now. And in regards to your comment about the UMD; it was to avoid piracy, but it didn't work. And the ps3 is great now. I was gonna get ps3 or 360 last august and i ended up going with ps3 cuz the exclusives appealed to me more. Sony's strategy seems to just be that they are building up a massive exclusive library. From last october we got little big planet, resistance2, killzone 2, now we're getting Infamous, (which is insane awesomeness I have it, it might be the funnest game I've every played) God of War 3, Heavy rain, uncharted 2, new ratchet and clank game, probably a new game from team ICO (shadow of the collossus creators), and probably some other surprises.

9. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm definitely excited about the PSP games coming out. Gran Turismo Mobile? Do f***ing want.

Now on the actual system itself, the PSP Go is growing on me. Ihated how it originally look, but after looking at it a few times in the video, I think its pretty slick. I'm disappointed at the lack of a 2nd analog nub, and no OLED screen (well, this hasn't been denied, but it wasn't mentioned in the video). However, if the price is right I'll be definitely getting this. 16GB internal sounds great with support for expandable memory. I shouldn't have any problems with running out of space. However I was looking at this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: http://kotaku.com/5273302/portable-size+off-how-the-psp-go-measures-up

Its a lot smaller than I imagined it being.

10. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Wow, you guys actually leave your PSP collecting dust? I think there are awesome games out there for the PSP like

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

Resistance Retribution

Rock Band Unplugged

And a few others. I still use mine daily because it's kind of a waste just leaving it there when you can play fanastic games.

11. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

hahaha

12. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    This

Anyways... I ONLY want a PSP to play the Kindgom Hearts game when it comes out... Stupid ensemble

They've now use like, 5 consoles for one game series...

13. Kiwii

Kiwii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Wow.... You can so tell Sony is trying too hard...
    shrank size like a iPod Touch.
    And a 2 piece like a ds.

I really think this new design is ugly.... as heck.

14. brendons

brendons Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    you know...

i never understood why nobody at least TRIED this.... i mean, even if it does fail, i'm surprised nobody has showed any interest (sony, nintendo, etc.)

what about something like a PSP, especially if it's a two-piece... why not have a joystick? not like, a standard joystick that just sits there, but maybe have a button that pops it out for using and you push it back in when you're done.

think of the GAMING possibilities :eek:

just my two cents :rolleyes: i wouldn't mind if it was a bit chunkier if it had a usable joystick or two

15. TimothyR

TimothyR Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I don't have a PSP yet, so I think I'll get this new designed model when it comes out.

I want a PSP for the awesome casual games (LocoRoco, LEGO movie-based game series, Ratchet and Clank, etc.)

And of course... LittleBigPlanet portable. HELL YES.

16. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    #16 Bruno, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
    I sold my PSP (the first one, I do ot even care about the number) and my DS Lite.

Actually I traded at GameStop for money to buy iTunes Gift cards.

Do you think that Sony and Nintendo should be worried about Apple?

They are terrified. And they should be. The difference is not that big in similar games (look at AC for example, and Puzzle Quest....). However, the price is ridiculously lower.

All of you are right about the success of PSP or DS or whatever relies on game library. I would just add price as a key factor.

But one thing is for sure, Neither Sony or Nintendo will just wait and see what can happen.

The major bet from both Sony and Nintendo is that AppleStore does not have good quality games. That is an open environmento with a lot of crap. I kind agree with that. Most of the games are terrible at App Store. Most of the games are not playable (awful controls, and frame rate issues). Sooner or later this will kill the shopping frenezy of App Store.

I started my journey on this. I only buy a game if:
    1. They have a game play video
    2. They have lite version
    3. The developer does not keep changing prices and making us fool
    4. The game is made for iPhone / iPodTouch (ports are not acceptable)
    5. There are some good impression on the game here or any other web site I trust.

Currently, App Store is receiving my money, but a new God of War or a Super Mario game could turn the tide very easily........

17. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

DSi > DS Lite > DS > iPod touch > unnamed Chinese game console #1 > ... > [keep going for several days] > unnamed Chinese game console #12428 > PSP

I don't consider the iPhone a gaming console. I don't even really consider the iPod touch one, but it does play games. The iPhone is productivity device. iPod touch is an entertainment device. That does include the games on the App Store.

18. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

An Apple Store is a building that sells all things Apple. I do believe that you are referring to the App Store. It stands for "Application Store" Not Apple Store.

19. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    dont forget ff dissidia

20. Kiwii

Kiwii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    One thing to add is.
    iDevice has Cracked apps. Wel....
    PSP and DS can be hacked and get free games, and 1 game is over $30.
    iDevice's best games are $10 if not lower than that.