The Pod Drop - ipod repair

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by nickels, Dec 19, 2008.

1. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    Well, I researched the heck out of this company and they seemed both legit and great from reviews. So, I called them and asked about my iPhone with a messed up home button. The guy told me they would check it out and get back to me, but it should be around $85 to fix it. I sent in my iPhone, and they called to say it arrived. I couldn't talk so I had to call them back the next day, when I did they said they hadn't looked at it yet and they'd get back to me. Then Monday came and went, nothing. Tuesday I emailed them and they replied they were working on it and they'd be calling me soon. Tuesday ended, no call. Same with Wednesday. Thursday I called and got a tech who told me that when they replaced the button and put it back together the display didn't work. He'd fix it that night and get back to me. Thursday night came and went, then so did Friday. Saturday I sent them an email expressing my displeasure with the lack of communication and amount of time this is taking. I call on Monday, and get a message that there was an accident and they'd be closed for a few days. I finally got a hold of the guy again on Thursday (yesterday) and he said it still wasn't working right - no vibrating. He said he was going to work on it again and send it out today. He told me the cost would be $125 since it was so complicated, and that they were losing a ton of money but that was their fault.

So, their site says 48 hour turnaround. My iPhone arrived at their store on December 5th and they may or may not have sent it back to me today, December 19th. They quoted me 85$ and the final cost was $125. It has yet to be seen if I will get my iPhone back before Xmas, as it is a gift. It is also going to be interesting to see if it actually works when I get it back.

Even though they were nice on the phone, I am less then thrilled with them. They never called me like they were supposed to (told me three times they would call me and never did), they never told me the repair cost till it was done so I didn't get a chance to decline the fix, fixing it cost $40 more then quoted over the phone, and they took over two weeks to do a repair that should have been done in a couple of days. Not too mention, they replaced so much internal stuff that I lost all data on the iPhone.

If you need your iPhone or iPod repaired I think twice before using this company.

Yeah right!

2. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #2 Kuratsu, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    Did you try using you're warranty first? My friend got a new iPhone through an exchange with his warranty and he had the same issue as you.

Thanks for the info though. I'll keep that in mind.

3. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    This is for out of warranty stuff - otherwise use the Apple Store.

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Drops and cracks are not covered by warranty. Not working home buttons and loose screens are. The home button not working and loose screen happened to me and I got them replaced.

5. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    How would you define a loose screen?

6. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Well in my case, the screen got loose literally. When I took it to the genius bar the "genius" actually saw that it was coming off. Cracks are not covered though.

7. LauraLou

LauraLou New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    gosh that stinks, it's so hard to find a reputable company on the net. i was really happy with ipodjuice.com though for future reference. they kept in touch with me all through the ipod repair and the price was just what they quoted. had it back in my hands in about a week too good as new.