The PlayStation Phone: THE iPhone Killer?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by superbad, Oct 27, 2010.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    The problem isn't the phone, it's the distribution system that matters, and I just can't see Sony making something to rival the Appstore for customers to quickly get games. And no one's going to run to Best Buy everytime they want a game to play on their phone.

2. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a direct download system on the phone that isn't too dissimilar to the PSN store. Perhaps there will also be a store front on the PS3 which can be synced to.

A lot of people are getting used to playing games on their phone now, but are realising the restrictions brought about by the lack of physical controls. There is potential for the PlayStation phone, but for each Sony success there are many failures. It is hard to know which way this one will go.

3. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
  4. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

#24 Vester, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    I think the PSP phone will be good, idk about you.

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Sony PS3 275,000,000 polygons per second
    Xbox 360′s 500,000,000 polygons per second

If it's so much more powerful how come the 360 pulls off nearly double the polygons and the 360 graphics seem to better on most comparable games. I know on paper the Ps3 should be better but the end results don't seem to be working that way.

I was nearly going to buy a ps3 for Gran Turismo though then they did the whole other OS stunt and I decided I'd just keep to Forza.

I do like Sonys PSP but I actually hate the company for the way they pull stunts like rootkits on music cds, removing features in firmware updates and all the other tricks they pull on their own customers.

PSP great system for it's time, PSP Go not so much, This phone seems a bit to close to the Go! to be successful.

6. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    #26 Donovan1209, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Hodapp, honestly, are you a fanboy? You are already predicting it'll bomb and it hasn't even been ANNOUNCED! At least give it a chance, it could be good, or at least decent.

The main reason the 360 multiplatform games are slightly better on 360 are the lazy devs, I mean look at Bayonetta, or Black Ops.

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
  8. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Yah, um, no. The one upside to the PSP Phone is it has actual BUTTONS! :eek:

9. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Rough translation

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That post from Hodapp is pretty old. It did seem worse at the time than it does now although it's yet to really prove it's worth... just throwing the words "PSP" and "phone" together is a good enough reason for anyone to be critical.

I agree with the ugly statement though. Good or bad, it looks worse stylisically than the PSP Go (and iPhone), which I think looks kinda neat. It doesn't seem to be that much of a step up design-wise, which is probably going to suppress interest levels since a) it's not new and b) non-tech minded people won't know the difference. I guess all the hype is in the stats... but we don't know them.

11. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
  12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Sony Ericson phones - crap

The PSP in recent years - crap

The PSP phone - double crap

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You forgot Android: triple crap ;)

14. lord-sam

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Oh god! I didnt bother reading as far to see it's Android!!

Super beyond crap crapness.

15. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
  16. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
  17. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    yeah i think it looks good. some people will complain about the thickness but hell i have big hands. my ipod is pushing being to thin as it is for me. its just to bad they had to go with sony eric... they are bad with updates.

chris.

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm actually starting to think this should've been the PSP2, tbqh. Sony would sell the phone version, and then a stripped version without the phone part ala iPhone and iPod touch. Only instead of a smartphone and pmp based on the same tech on a mobile platform that is a viable game platform (but neither being game systems) this would be a game system in two SKUs: one with smartphone features and one without.

Chances are it would sell for a lot less sans the phone part, especially compared to the beast that is the actual PSP2/NGP. They might've actually been able to undercut Nintendo.

Of course the specs would have to be bumped up a bit from Snapdragon or whatever they're using, but it would still be less expensive than the actual PSP2/NGP because they wouldn't bump it up so high. NGP is overkill.

19. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    looks like a horrible attempt at trying to gain some portable smartphone market share, only sony fanboys will get this, it seems too gimmicky to actually sell. hopefully sony will realize that they shud just stick to dedicated gaming devices

20. lord-sam

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Has anyone else noticed that tue phones name, Sony Ericson Xperia Play, can be abbreviated to SEX Play?

Subliminal or what!