The Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    No decent games in the next few weeks for me.

I love driving games but have no interest in drive club as I think it'll be arcadey and I like sim games like rFactor.

My PS4 is actually getting some play though, what with Rogue Legacy and Diablo 3.

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Both great games. I have each character at various levels on D3 with my level 70 getting the great gems and bounties. I find the bounty store less than stellar though.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm quite looking forward to Drive Club, SoM is reviewing really well but saving money for Far Cry 4, Unity I want but dont want two big games at once, may splurge for GTAV again if it's a decent price.

4. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Finally finished this (it's not that long, just had a lot of distractions). The story isn't all that bad really, delivery is better than content. A few new things that are minor but fun, the new off story mission types are good but only because of the ranking pool with timer type setup, not so much the missions themselves.

Not grounding breaking in any way, but had some fun with it.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Spelunky PS4 is great! The game is the same, of course, but nice improvements, especially replays on high scores you can watch! I really like that. Also little tweaks like some sounds come out of the controller and that actually proves nice. Not a huge deal, but a fun little improvement. I hope the replays feature comes to Vita and PS3 too.

6. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Spelunky is indeed much fun, I never understood the acclaim looking at videos and reading reviews, but it's really well done once you actually get you hands on it and play it.

7. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Now Driveclub... most incompetent release I've personally experienced, the 3 preorder packs won't download, the first 3 days I had no online connectivity at all, considering their focus has been on connectivity you can image half the game being redundant without it. Getting online is more common now but still pretty poor, my club I managed to create with a few friends and had levelled up (some cars unlock specifically to club rank) has now totally disappeared (and cars it'd unlocked now locked again), whether or not it returns remains to be seen.

Despite all that, it's actually quite a good racer; the penalty systems seems really unfair at first, but once you improve its fine (although wouldn't hurt from a bit more tweaking), the AI seems to amplify this with its aggressive approach, but again you learn how not to force them into a ramming situation. Tracks are varied and well thought out, cars look great and sound is satisfying. It's not as next gen as I'd have wanted it but it still probably the best looking racer that I've played that is aiming for a realistic look. Would I recommend it? Not yet, I'd wait until they sorted the server issues and added the weather patch. But regardless of all the issues I've found myself sinking a fair few hours in that I normally wouldn't so it must have something going for it.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yeah! It's one of my favorite games of all time. However the PS4 version has a bug with LAN play PS4+Vita (and I guess other consoles, but can't test that). If the shopkeepers are angry and you come to one with a servant, they'll free the servant. Once they do this the game gets out of sync and you'll soon get disconnected from each other. I hope they fix it soon. Was having fun with my kids but that bit us twice. I reported it on twitter to mossmouth and blitworks, but they didn't respond. But this is almost the same as a bug the PS3+Vita had, but there the game froze and they didn't respond to my report then, but then not long after there was a fix. So hopefully they'll get it fixed quick.

9. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Having a huge problem with my PS4 connection.

It's showing connection speed of 4-6mbps down, 5-6mbps up.
    But I have an 80/20 fibre connection. Sure I know wifi is never as fast as wired but using a speedtest app on my ipad, the ipad shows 50-55 down, 18-19 up. And that is when it's placed right next to the PS4. Yet the PS4 still only shows 4-6 down, 5-6 up????

What's going on?

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think that's called "PSN".

11. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Okay, so I've tried Blue Estate.
    Mechanics? Pretty good. The swiping to push away Tony's hair is annoying, but thats about my annoyance with it. It just needs to be a little bit brighter, just to make enemies easier to distinguish. I'd like to see it's mechanics again.

I do not like the story though. It's just not my thing really. Eh, happens.

I'm gonna try Natrual Doctrine next, as my library did have it. I hope it's good.

Also, anyone else hyped for Far Cry 4?

12. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I had high hopes for Blue Estate but it had a lot of annoyances yes. Pity because the aiming mechanics actually would have worked in a better game.

Far Cry 4 looks right up my alley, I don't overly care about the story but if it builds on what FC3 offered (which it sounds like it has) I won't be disappointed. Lotsa guns, vehicles, vaste environment, explosions, wildlife and general carnage, what's not to like.

13. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #173 Nekku, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    I'll buy a PS4 tomorrow (yay) which is bundled with Destiny and will get Diablo 3 (really excited to finally get my hands on this. Can't wait to play it) at the end of the month. So, from now on I'll have a look on this thread. ^_^
    I know Destiny doesn't live up to its hype but I hope it gets better over time.

14. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I'm loving Diablo 3, playing on hard mode. I'm level 57 and on Act 3.

Just took Asmodan down in 9 secs flat. Haha

15. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Sunken a bit of time into Shadow of Mordor, some brief thoughts; climbing and scaling feels more natural than AC, combat is good and very similar to Batman but doesn't require quite the degree of accuracy to succeed, leveling is par for course and what you'd expect (new moves, abilities, etc), riding mounts is fun, Nemisis system is great but having 1 or 2 captains turn up at a time would be more believable than some instance of 4 or 5 who each have their own intro, AI is a bit blind but welcomed due to the fact nearly everything wants to kill you (the world has no real safe zones that I've encountered, there is no respite), player model is a bit naff stylistically (just personal preference) but everything else is modelled well, death has a real penalty due to the power shifts.

Overall good game, not a classic and sometimes gets a bit annoying due to hostile nature of the world, but generally well done and fresh enough from other games (although it does borrow from a few different titles) to be worthwhile. Like no other Lord of the Rimgs game I've played, which is a good thing.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    PS4 2.0 is out (at least in US). Anybody update yet? Any issues?

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #177 crunc, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Some people are definitely having problems with the renamed "Rest" mode. Sometimes you can't get the system to power up. I've had a bunch of friends who already ran into this. We haven't yet, but I'm going to forgo using Rest mode until an update is out. If it happens to you you have to be to unplug the PS4 and then plug it back in. Then it should power up. I'd avoid using Rest mode until they fix it. Hopefully soon.

EDIT: apparently press and hold power button on console for 30 seconds will force the power off - no need to unplug. That is, if you can remember which button is which on the console….

Having said that, 2.0 seems pretty solid otherwise. I like the new free themes available. Spiral is pretty cool. I haven't tried Shareplay yet but some of my friends have and they report good results. Also apparently the sound quality of headsets is greatly improved, even with the pack-in headset, though I haven't tested this out myself yet.
    : apparently pressing and hold power button on console for 30 seconds will force the power off - no need to unplug.

18. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Once you get over the hostility of Mordor and start gaining a few abilities and upgrades it actually becomes pretty addicting, been enjoying it over the weekend. It's a hard game to define, while there's a few surface similarities to other games it's definitely it's own beast.

I think I'm around a 16 hour mark now and feel like I'm really only scratching the surface in many respects.

19. september

Sep 14, 2012
    #179 september, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Killzone gets Radec Academy this week for the old timers. I'll be curious to see how it plays without so much spam.

Also EU blog has Decembers and January's PS4 titles announced,

December

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
    Secret Ponchos

January

inFAMOUS: First Light
    The Swapper

20. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014