The Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The only souls-like I've played is Bloodborne. I respect it, but didn't really enjoy it. It's hard and repetitious.

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I understand completely where you're coming from. Those type of games aren't for everyone for sure.

3. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Nioh is great. It feels more like a Ninja Gaiden game than a Souls game in my opinion. It's faster paced and emphasizes combos more than blocking and trading attacks. I'm probably not going to play it over the weekend though. I just picked up FFXV because it was on sale for the series' 30th anniversary, and will start that instead.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've played a little of FF XV. It's pretty dull so far and the car is sooooooo slooooow which doesn't help. Maybe it picks up later but so far it's go from point a to point b. Slowly. The combat is fun enough when it happens though.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    That's funny. I enjoy the traveling and exploring parts, but the battle mechanics are way too action-orientated for me. I wish I could turn on a turn-based battle option. But I'm in my mid-30's, so the PSX titles were my favorites. It's interesting to hear different opinions on this one, though.

6. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Yeah, the driving/exploring was one of the main things that made me interested in the game in the first place. An open world FF seems like a cool change of pace from what I'm used to.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Ok, but get rid of the stamina thing so you can run everywhere all the time, and don't make the car so slow. Then the exploring would be more fun. I'm not big on turn-based RPGs, so I thought maybe I'd like this one since it's action-oriented, but so far I don't much.

8. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I actually just opened a second accessory slot for Noct this morning and then equipped something that totally does away with the stamina bar, the Stamina Badge, I think. So, now I do run everywhere without having to let go of O right before it runs out to boost it full again. When I had to do that I would watch the stamina bar instead of my surroundings. But now, with Stamina Badge accessory equipped, I don't have to worry about stamina.

9. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    You get fast travel in the car FYI. I enjoyed it some of the time to check out the surroundings but other times I was in a hurry. I'm on the last mission in the game and I feel it's a wonderful game overall. The combat gets better the more you play and get a better feel for it.

10. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I've only played a little ninja gaiden in the past but I've heard the comparisons. However guarding is a big aspect of the game with stats dedicated to it along with guard breaks. It's definitely a more refined battle system than any souls game so it's probably their NG influence there. I'm level 65 now and close to the end. Love it!

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've played 3 or 4 hours of Horizon: Zero Dawn. It's real good and also probably the prettiest game I've seen on the OG PS4. Definitely worth the $38 I paid (well, that includes also paying about $38 for Red Dead Redemption 2). Was a visa checkout deal at Best Buy a while back.

13. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    FFXV's A King's Tale is finally released to the non-preordering public. It's free right now, and is a fun classic arcade beatemup with Double Dragon style gameplay but with a few FF twists. Definitely a fun distraction.

14. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Omg Torment is so freaking good.

15. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Cannot wait for Patapon Remastered and Parappa the Rapper Remastered. Great news about Superbeat Xonic! I wonder if it will be cross trophy/cross buy.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Still really loving Horizon. It's, for me, the best AAA game I've played in quite a while. It's a joy to play.

17. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I enjoy it as well and it's definitely the best looking game on ps4. That said it feels awfully familiar to play and it hurts the game for me. I played a lot of Far Cry Primal and Horizon feels like a much prettier quasi futuristic version. I'm surprised the comparison isn't made very much in the media. It's still a great triple A game I'm just having a harder time pushing through it than I ever thought I would pre-release.

18. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    #1078 Sash-O, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Just bought a PS4 for my dad's upcoming birthday. They had a great deal for the slim version last week, it was only 199€!

Now I have to test it, as his birthday is in april.:D

Bought Abzu & played the first two levels, this game is absolutely beautiful!
    Looking forward to play it more this week!

Seems like there are a lot of indie games on sale at the moment...man, too many good games on every platform!

Broforce 4€
    Child of Light 4€
    Guacamelee 4€
    Hotline Miami 2 3€
    Nidhogg 4€
    Not-A-Hero 4€
    Pixeljunk 3€
    Rogue Legacy 4€
    Valiant Hearts 4€

Adr1ft 8€
    Headlander 7€
    Lovers in a dangerous spacetime 6€
    Party Hard 5€
    Ronin 6€
    Steredenn 6€
    Titan Souls 5€

Caladius Blaze 12€
    Firewatch 10€
    Hyper Light Drifter 11€

should I get one for myself!?:confused:

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime might be my favorite local coop game. I highly recommend that. Not as great solo, but still fun.

Guacamole is amazing. Fantastic game!

20. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Regarding The Binding of Isaac Rebirth and The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth...

I have Rebirth and the Afterbirth expansion both installed. When I run the game, it automatically goes to 'Afterbirth'.

I created a new file and began playing, enjoying immensely. There is a brief storyline about the possessed mother who chases her son upstairs and into the hole

Am I somehow supposed to select Rebirth first? Or...Does Afterbirth encompass both games.

I want to play them in order.

An explanation would be highly appreciated. ##