The Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    PS4 Slim is replacing the old model (I don't like that, I still love my eraser shaped box) and the Neo is called PS4 Pro, will upscale games to 4k but I doubt that it can run them natively and it will be released November 10.
    Yeah, I guess that's it, it was really underwhelming if you ask me so I guess that my PC and PS4 won't be replaced

2. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    After yesterday's presentation, I will be fine with my launch ps4 and Xbox one for another year until Scorpio arrives .

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #1043 bigrand1, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Well, I guess that's kinda good for us! We're good to go for awhile at least!
    To me, that's actually a positive thing for now..... ;)

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #1044 crunc, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Actually the word from people that have seen it in person is that the Pro's visuals on 4K are pretty damn impressive. May not be full 4K, but it's certainly much better then 1080p. And the HDR is maybe even more impressive. But I don't have a 4K TV. There are benefits for 1080p sets, but obviously not as much. Games that formerly ran at lower then 1080p can run at 1080p and/or a higher/more consistent frame rate. Games can have more detail in textures and such too. Also 1080p remote play (PC remote play) and 1080p streaming (I mean, streaming your games on twitch, youtube and such) and video recording. Also both the new slim PS4 and the Pro have much improved WifI, up to Ac.

Also all PS4s will get a HDR output with a firmware update (I think the 4.0 firmware). Of course only 4K TVs have HDR as far as I know, but still if you have a 4K TV and don't want to get the Pro you'll at least get HDR on your current PS4 which is apparently pretty awesome itself.

The improved WiFi is a big deal IMHO. If you were in the market for a PS4 right now, I would get either the slim or the Pro and not pick up a 1st gen. The slim will list for $299 and there are bundles for that same price. There's an Uncharted 4 bundle for one for that price. The Pro is $399 which really isn't bad. If I had a 4K TV I'd definitely upgrade.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    But what was with that guy they had come on to explain it? He had the most bored sounding voice ever. Like he just wasn't interested in what he was talking about. It was kind of hilarious.

6. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I have a 4K tv. I'll see after the update if things look better to me.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I am not 100% sure, but I think games need a patch to enable HDR. So you'll be dependent on devs doing that. Apparently in the games they showed at the conference you could turn HDR on and off to see the difference. You could also turn 4K on and off.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Some numbers for a game on the PS4 Pro. They say these are early so could change, but The Witness on the standard PS4 runs at 900p at 60 fps. On the Pro with a 4K TV it runs at 1440p ("or higher") at 60 fps. It's then upscaled to native 4K (which is 2160p). Menus, text and other stuff renders at native 4K. If you have a Pro hooked up to a 1080p set, it will run obviously at 1080p/60fps, but also the anti-aliasing improves from 2x to 4x.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/08/the-witness-ps4-pro-patch/

9. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Wow, that IS quite a difference! :eek:

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Skyrim remaster will run at native 4K on the PS4 Pro. Also they are going to have mods at launch although it appears the compromise with Sony was that they are NOT allowing external assets. Mods can only use the assets built-in to the game.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  12. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    #1052 darkhorse, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Very excited for Yakuza 0! Plenty of other games are being released in January but I'm looking forward to Yakuza 0 the most. Its the first Yakuza being released on PS4 and it is also a good starting point for anyone new to the series.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The Vita rhythm game SUPERBEAT XONiC (which is super great) is coming to PS4 (and Xbone) this spring:

https://www.facebook.com/XONICSuperbeat/posts/278997599183444

Will include 10 DLC tracks from the Vita version and there will be new songs via new DLC. There will be a physical version too if that's your thing. There's also going to be an announcement about the Vita version "soon".

14. Sniper Caz

Sniper Caz Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Community Manager
    Vancouver, BC
    So far in 2017 I have finished 2 PS4 games:

The Last Guardian
    Final Fantasy XV

Now I'm going back and playing FFXIII on PS3 :D

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I completed Firewatch recently. I thought that was surprisingly fun to play. Worth a play for sure.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    This update looks good although I don't know if the larger capacity drives are really fast and reasonable cost. Probably be a good feature in the next year or so when the drives are large and fast.

Do the USB multi ports work well on the PS4? They work great on PCs. The 2 ports wouldn't really matter if multi port adapters work well.

18. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Totally agree. I enjoyed it a ton.

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I can answer some of this (I got a beta code from someone on reddit, so I was able to install it). I timed launching Bastion on my internal drive (a 1 TB SSHD) and my external (1 TB HDD). The time to get to the press x or whatever was pretty much identical. I can't be 100% accurate, but if there was any difference it isn't noticeable. Yes, you can move games from one to the other easily. You can even batch move them.

Also they did this right. You don't have to have the drive plugged in all the time. You can safely eject it (via the quick menu) and disconnect it. Any games that are on the external still show up on your PS4, but with an ! icon. If you try to launch one of these it tells you you need to plug in the external (they call it "extended storage".

It's done very well.

20. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    So I've been playing Nioh since it released and I'm extremely happy with it. I got into the Dark Souls games late, DS 2 and played DS 3 a bunch. So to compare it I'll say that Nioh is more technical with the combat which makes it very satisfying pulling off new combos or moves. Instead of dodge roll and shield/guard being the center of combat there's also 3 stances for each weapon with each stance changing the way the weapon attacks. I would have to say that Nioh is easier than DS for the most part. It'll still mess you up if you're not focused with any enemy but less so than DS, which I've been stuck for a while on a normal enemy type in DS. Nioh feels more of an action RPG than DS and combat a bit faster paced. With a huge loot system reminiscent of Diablo 3, with different rarities, forging weapons, and rerolling stats and all that good stuff. Anyway I recommend prioritizing it even during this great month of releases. Go Team Ninja!