The Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. finndc

finndc Well-Known Member

This, so much. I'm excited to get around to having a go on any of the new hardware variations. But there have been so many "THIS HARDWARE IS THE FUTURE OF EVERYTHING"-type-products over the years that still aren't nearly as exciting as a really ace new game.

Or a really ace old game.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Finally picked up Uncharted Collection (for $20). Played to chapter 6 in Uncharted 1. It is a fun game. I had played some of it on PS3, but got distracted. Think I'll stick with it this time and work my way through the first 3 and then pick up Uncharted 4 in a sale if I'm not completely burnt out by then.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    They're relatively quick games but you'll probably have your fill by somewhere in 2, 4 is highly recommended though so if you can make it through the entire collection you'll find its in a league of its own and probably the best looking game I've played to date on anything.

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Someone mentioned Odin Sphere? Tried the demo - looks gorgeous but seems a bit of a button masher? Am I wrong, or is that the fun of it? I enjoyed the demo, but I couldnt do that for a whole game.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    PSN Midyear Game sale

Not sure if its world wide but they have some seemingly great deals on a whole bunch of things. The whole Telltale series -Walking Dead 1 and 2, Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands and one other for $22.

Bunch of stuff discounted around 75-80%. I am not sure all what is good, but I will probably get a couple things.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Tell Tale Walking Dead season 1 was super boring. I won't bother with season 2.

7. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Try Tales From The Borderlands instead, it's pretty good and far more fun than TWD (episode 5 seemed a little rushed to me) or The Wolf Among Us, that one is pretty good too :v

8. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    The talos principle premium edition is $12, has anyone here played it?

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've played a good portion of it (our library has it, so I borrowed it). Fun game. It's a FP puzzle game sort of like Portal, but not. Definitely recommended and that's a good price. Only thing is if you are prone to motion sickness, as I am, be sure to turn off the snap vertical option. Or at least I think that's what did it to me. I turned that off and some other options and then I had no problems.

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I got it - loved it. Of course, as is my usual MO with all games - I have not yet finished it. :D

Paid full price for it and definitely feel I got my money's worth out of it, despite not finishing. Very interesting story, the puzzles start off obvious, but become devious with a nice learning curve. There are a lot of secrets to discover. It is sort of adventure puzzle I guess?

I had no problems with motion sickness so just realize you have an option to turn things off if default settings aren't right for you.

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Really enjoying 7 Days to Die even tho it's an alpha released game. I bought the retail version at GameStop and was initially a little upset it with the roughness but that quickly faded as I realized the depth of gameplay.

Just downloaded Furi for free since it was a PS+ game. Love that they made it free for ps+ members even tho it's a new release. The combat is pretty satisfying too.

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Furi looks great. I got Tearaway as I like the Vita version and this is supposed to even better. Talos is the best deal to me. GOW 3 is a little tempting, but I still have PS3 I could play it on - are the upgraded graphics worth 8 bucks?

Playing FFX on PS4 - what a treat! I dont much like Titus' voice acting, but everything else is just so refreshing. Makes me hunger for the new version of FF 7 due out later this year. Also, it looks like FF12 is getting a remaster although not due out till end of 2017.

13. TheOutlander

Apr 15, 2014
    Been playing Furi too, it really reminds me of Hyper Light Drifter so I'll guess that works in the meanwhile, also anyone excited for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

14. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    GoW3 is tempting, I never played it since I didn't have the PS3. I always wanted to try Tearaway, how's the ps4 version? I missed the sale on FFX-X2 last week. :-(

Excited for HLD. Furi is freaking hard but I've been playing the crap out of it. I don't know much about the new Deus Ex. Do you have any links for it?

15. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Yes, as ropey as the last one was the overall vibe and colour theming + mechanics were pretty good, one of my favs dispite the flaws. Look forward to the sequel.

As a side note, anyone who owns Evolve might want to play it before stage 2 hits consoles, it resets progress cuts a lot of the offline game modes, changes gameplay and rips out a bit of content. Already on PC and is now F2P, okay for people who don't own it but I don't know how legal it is for people that paid for it, they seem excited about it anyway.

16. TheOutlander

Apr 15, 2014
    #976 TheOutlander, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Not really, Deus Ex' subreddit seems to have a bunch of information and theories about MD.
    @september, thanks for the headsup, I never owned Evolve but I may try it when it's F2P
    And lastly, I was thinking of making a 9-hour long stream of me and a couple of friends playing SOMA until we finish it, is it a good idea or the game is more enjoyable in multiple sittings?

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I tried Playstation VR on Saturday. It is indeed pretty cool. But it did make me a little queasy. One of my kids went with me and he didn't have any issues though. There was no line so he tried it a second time. We both played Eve Valkyrie and then he played Battlezone. He especially liked Battlezone.

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    @crunc - arent you the person that got motion sick with Talos? And you were brave enough to try VR?

The biggest downsides of VR for me is not knowing what is going on outside the VR world. I can't imagine being in open spaces without the ability to know who is also around and what other things are going on around me.

19. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I never thought about that Pluto but you're right. Not knowing what's going on around you while wearing it would be an issue for me. But only publicly - so I guess this would mean no VR arcades for me! I'd also be worried about breaking stuff around me actually! Gotta have ample space to do my thaaang!

@crunc that's pretty cool, wish I could try it out. Where was it displayed? I played with the Samsung VR quite a bit thanks to the local Samsung rep. I was pretty surprised and excited about the tech - with it being so cheap and yet effective.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #980 crunc, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    The Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread!

Motion sickness in Talos I think was due to the camera moving my view when I didn't move it. The snap vertical. Not sure, though.

But yeah I had to try VR! I'd do it again. Supposedly you can get use to it if you work your way up to longer sessions.

And my kid had no troubles