The Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    My take is that this is a PS4 that can play games at 4K resolution. I don't see a problem with that. The PS4 isn't capable of playing games at that rez. If you have a 4K TV you can upgrade and get games in 4K. If that's all it is then it doesn't really segment the market. It will be the same games and if you have the PS4K you get a resolution boost if you have a 4K TV. Otherwise there's no need to upgrade.

Of course I could be wrong and they end up making games that are exclusive to the PS4K. That would suck.

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #862 september, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    PC Remote Play seems fine, window scales to what you want and you can also view full screen. I upped the settings to 720p @60 FPS due to having both wired (I use a line adapter to run modem through power lines). Restricted to Windows 8 and 10, all controller functions work fine but you have to plug it in, come to think of it though I'm not sure about vibration as I can't recall. Haven't tried DS4 outside of Remote Play app but use an Xbox wireless controller anyway. Co-op games should work fine with one person on the computer and one on the PS4 like the PSV I would imagine.

Seems pretty solid.

Not directly related but Sony PlayStation headphones work fine on PC wired or wireless, including microphone.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Do you mean you can plug in the Golds and use them for game sound and chat with remote play?

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Did anybody else get Enter the Gungeon? It's pretty great. I played it at midnight Monday night for a couple hours. I've only managed to finish the first floor once or twice.

It's cool that when you pre-order a download and install it, it gives you a countdown on the icon for the game for when it will be playable. I'd never seen that before.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am excited for April 12 - Ratchet and Clank, my favorite series. And, the new Dark Souls 3 is getting great reviews so far.

Anyone try the FF XV demo? Is is multiplayer or single?

6. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Remote Play and globally in general, I often use them for Steam games and co-op with friends.

7. september

Sep 14, 2012
    #867 september, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    It's more of a tech demo, there is some lite concept to it (you're playing the child version of an adult character from the full game). It's SP, framerate is a bit choppy, visuals are a bit aliased but quite nice yet sparse, sound is what you'd expect from a JRPG,.. main thing I didn't like was combat, hold a button and you'll attack closest enemy in real time, mind numbingly boring.

If that's how combat is in the full game then I don't think I'll bother. +1 for R&C, although not my favourite series it is fun.

Reason I popped in - Battleborn open beta is up, not sold on it visually but loved Borderlands so will be giving it a blast.

8. finndc

finndc Well-Known Member

Proper excited to test this over the weekend. I think I'm easily pleased, but remembering what could and couldn't be achieved using using a 28k modem, this still feels like some space age stuff to me :)

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Decided to install the Mac version of the Remote Play app here at work just to see how well it worked truly remotely. Not bad as far as I can tell. Turns out you can control it with the keyboard (and mouse for clicking PS, Share and Options). Of course you can't really play a game this way as your only game controls are arrow keys, Return (X) and Esc (O) to go back. You can launch games/apps. Response seems to be surprisingly good given then it's over the internet. No idea if a game would really be playable or not, but I intend to find out tomorrow. :) :)

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Thanks, I tried it - it was boring.

I was on Battleborn closed beta and thought it was pretty bad. Totally underpowered weapons. But, I dont know what yhe general consensus. I will probably play the beta and hope. I loved Borderlands too.

11. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Being so character focus Battleborn feels a bit naff in comparison to Borderlands, restricted weapons, restricted movement, bullet sponge baddies and to top it off, queuing to play solo singleplayer and not being able to customise character while you wait means I won't be getting it. A lot feels the same, but the ingredients that make Borderlands great are missing from Battleborn in my opinion.

Disappointing...

12. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Agh, Battleborn, I was hyped for it, but having played the beta I'd say that it is not an enjoyable singleplayer game at all, the campaign seems to be balanced for 2+ players and the chapters seem too long and too tedious (it felt to me like a Destiny quest trying to be funny and having 4 times its standard length), the multiplayer looks alright though, but I'm not paying 60 dollars at launch, I already have DOOM, Uncharted 4 and Mirror's Edge Catalyst in my radar for May :/

13. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    That's too bad. Overwatch it is, then!

14. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Spending a bit more time on Battleborn and I've softened a bit, trying out different characters helps. I would definitely prefer Borderlands 3 and I still think a lot of what makes the series great is missing from Battleborn even though on the surface there are similarities, yet in some strange way it works. Managed to complete both story maps solo and tried a few unsuccessful attempts online, tried the main multiplayer mode and didn't really dig it. Won't be buying it full price, but have grown to like it.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Enter the Gungeon is really tremendously good. If you liked Nuclear Throne at all I can't recommend it enough (and so far I'm not seeing any substantial bugs unlike Nuclear Throne). Last night I had a great run and made it to the 3rd boss. Also unlocked the first shop in the breach where you can 'buy' new weapons and items to have appear in the gungeon during your runs.

16. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I got the new Ratchet and am enjoying my trip down memory lane.

17. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Loving it here as well. How do you unlock the breach shop?

18. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Just spent like 3 hours at Doom's open beta, it's really fun, I mean, it's not perfect by any means but it's really enjoyable and easy to pick up and play, also, hearing Metallica and Iron Maiden while playing really makes the experience a lot better :D

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think you just have to make it to the 2nd floor a few times and then you'll find a room with a large padlock on it and two people behind it (on the 2nd floor). You need to find the key for the cell in a chest (it's a special key, not a standard key), and then you can unlock the door.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I didn't try the beta, but I was disappointed to read that they didn't really go old-school. Like a modern shooter you unlock better weapons/items by playing more and then you start the match with an advantage (beyond just practice making you better). I think they should have gone full old school with the MP.