The Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I haven't picked it up yet, but it's nice to hear it's good. So I need to upgrade my PS4 hard drive past it's 500GB capacity, as my PS4 is completely full. How can I back up my game progress?

2. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Firstly, if you have plus, backup all your saves on the cloud by going to Settings> Application management (never hurts to have a second backup). Secondly sync your trophies (they are NOT included in the back up utility).

From that point, I would suggest this guide. Nothing is really difficult at all. Having to wait for your PS4 to backup and restore is the hard part.

This is the HDD I use for my PS4. Yes it says external but you can pry that thing open and slide that HDD in your PS4 no problem!

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Replacement pretty straightforward. A number of good guides. The biggest thing is to make sure you have the full OS (about 1 Gb). The updates are about 250 Mb.

I have HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0J22423 this HD which is pretty fast due to the higher spin rate, but there are trade offs. Sony does not officially support the Hydrid drives, but lots of folks use them with good success. Sort of a speed vs space sort of debate. The 500 Mb was a joke when it came out and remains so.

Back up to USB or plus ( I did both, but wasnt needed). Good luck, let us know if you have problems, but i doubt that will happen. Having some space makes a nice difference.

4. one.sixty.four

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    #604 one.sixty.four, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Thanks for both responses! I have a Samsung 2TB drive I'm looking to install. I'll update tomorrow after I attempt to upgrade it. The upgrade seems pretty straight-forward, but I'm not looking forward to reinstalling all 500GB of games. Luckily batman arkham knight is my only AAA download. When I boot up newly reinstalled games will it automatically download the cloud backup?

5. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it won't. If you use the backup and restore utility, you're all good. Whatever progress you made in those games will be the same.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Like darkhorse said it wont. When i tried to d/ all my saves i was informed i couldnt because the game was not installed. I thought that was pretty rude, why would they care? You will also need to redefine the power settings, etc. sort of like it is brand new. If you use the sctual backup, restore - which does everything, you wont have to, but i dont think many people use that option since it takes hours. Good luck!

7. one.sixty.four

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Thanks for both responses, after looking around the settings before doing the switch I found the application data management section easily. I now have a 2TB drive installed! Thank you both for your help. :) The worst part was the two hours I spent reformatting my usb drive and trying multiple drives and browsers and all the combinations of each to download the OS only to realize that the website wasn't updated to be downloading 3.11 (it was 3.10). It changed to 3.11 right before I was ready to give up. Nice to have 4x the storage!

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Woohoo! Enjoy. All the apps will need to be upgraded, which will take a while. I left my library alone except for stuff i play. I figured i didnt need to load it, if i wasnt going to play it.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I started playing The Talos Principal a few days ago and it's really good but... it makes me queasy. I'm not sure why as I don't usually have problems like this in games, but this one seems to be doing it to me. It sucks because I really like the game a lot. I tried turning off camera bobbing and switched to 3rd person, but it didn't help at all. I'll probably keep playing it, but going to limit myself to short sessions. Weird.

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I dont recognize the name. What genre?

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Puzzle game in its purest form, has been on Steam for awhile.

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yeah, Talos Principal is a FP puzzle game, kind of in the vein of Portal (but not portals). And I'm happy to say that I managed to make the game not get me queasy. I turned off "bobble" (while moving), look acceleration and the weird snap view vertical and now I can play it without incident. I have a feeling the main problem is the snap vertical thing that's the primary cause, but I'm leaving all 3 off. The game is really good. If you liked Portal I'd definitely recommend it.

13. one.sixty.four

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    #613 one.sixty.four, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    It sounds cool. I watched a gameplay video and had a similar reaction (not queasy, but not comfortable) which is strange, because I've never felt like that because of a video game. Anyone here getting just cause 3? Every video I see it seems to be getting better and better.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Bloodborne is going to be $19.99 at Best Buy on Black Friday (really I think Thursday) and with GCU that puts it at $15.99+tax. I think I'm going to pick that up if it doesn't sell out online in an instant. No way am I going in store.

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Cant blame you. Figured it would drop this low. Be on the lookout if the have a special that includes the new DLC which is $20 but promises to be a game changer. I am trying to decide as i am doing ok, but have no idea how i will do further on, and if the DLC supposes you have finished the game, i might be screwed.

Likely there will be multiples of this deal with Amazon, Walmart, Target. Even at 30 with the GCU i am very pleased with the purchase.

I need to get PS Plus annual cards and maybe that new RPG that just came out.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The only black friday deal on PS+ subs is at Walmart. 3 month cards for $10. So 12 months worth is $40. But... Walmart....

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Well if i do it, i likely will get some sort of survival medal. :D

18. one.sixty.four

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Anyone else enjoying Battlefront this week? I preordered it and am loving it.

19. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am not into multiplayer games, and i guess Battlefront is purely an online game? If so, not interested for me, but i can understand the hype.

20. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I enjoyed the beta but haven't bought the full game, it will drop in price pretty fairly quickly judging by EA trends. It felt pretty good and they captured the classic Star Wars vibe really well.

Going off the beta there is single player content, a finite wave style horde/invasion mode, bot matches (unable to see how this played in the beta though) and local split screen. If you like classic Star Wars and shooting stuff there looks to be a good serve for those who don't like playing online. Just zero story.