The Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #521 crunc, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    It's not chip tune music. I have to say that the new soundtrack isn't great. I mean it's not terrible, but it's uninspired. Too bad we can't get this to sync up with the game levels:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1a4TATTxo7fdfqYxn2uMFN

But the game is still really good. Super challenging but addicting and fun.

EDIT: I've been listening to the above soundtrack and it's starting to sound more and more like the new soundtrack is a travesty. Sigh.

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Don't know how long it will last - BloodBorne at Best Buy selling for $24.95 -lowest price so far. I have the Gamer's Club (pretty good deal - $30 for 2 years of 20% off all games) so it was $19.95. Not sure if Amazon will match it.

Also, GOW III Remaster also selling for $24.95 - but being as this was a PS3 game (and IMHO-not the best of the series).

On another note, I upgraded my PS4 to a 1 TB drive with HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive for $65 and have to say it runs really well and the load times seem faster as well. I thought about a larger drive, but the price point for a fast 2 or 3 TB drive did not seem worth it. I know lots of people are running the hybrids successfully, but Playstation specifically says they don't support the hybrid - so if there are problems with function, they are not going to be interested in your sob story... There are a number of excellent guides on changing out the drive - the actual physical part is all of 2 - 3 minutes - it is making sure you have an update file (the correct almost 1 Gb one - and then turning on the machine in safe mode and pointing to the USB drive with the correct file on it. Anyways, I am a happy camper - had PS Plus, so all my game saves were in the cloud, and re-downloading the DLC and updates was a bit of a pain, but not terrible.

@crunc - sorry for being wrong about the music on Super Meat Boy - I generally play with music levels at near 0 - I generally only have sound for dialog, I just don't care that much about sound effects unless they are required by game play (the sound of the treasure goblin in D3 comes to mind..) Sorry the sound track is a disappointment. The gameplay however is superb, if not very difficult for me.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    You might like PSPrices.com if you don't already know about it (I didn't until a couple of days ago), it's only the PSN deals but shows everything that drops rather then a selection like the storefronts do, can set up alerts, see pricing history, show PSVita native only games, etc.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    No it is not any noisier. And I don't notice that the fan turns on any more than it generally does.

The sob stories not so much about breaking the machine, but perhaps there have been some issues with the interface? And then someone calls Sony and says my replaceable hard drive does not work with your machine - what is up? So, Sony just says it doesn't support hybrid or SSD drives in the console - problem solved... But, I have read about lots of people using them with great success - and that drive looks good, and really no more expensive than the one I got. The hybrid drives in general are great - I got one for my wife's iMac and it is almost as fast as my laptop with SSD drives.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Thanks for the info. That looks great. I like these types of sites. My favorite overall discount site is slickdeals.net but that is obviously for everything.

I think for PS4, I mostly like to get hard media as I can pass the games around to my kids (the PSN sign ups are a pain with more than 1 alternate account - trying to remember who has bought what on which account...). But, I buy mostly digital media for the Vita so that will be nice. I mentioned a couple games that went free for PS Plus, and then @crunc (I think) mentioned another game that I could not find in the deals, PS Plus, etc. but doing a search - sure enough it was free (I am pretty sure it is the game Unmechanical).

On another note - Bloodborne is hard as nails! It looks absolutely gorgeous, but it definitely not a casual game....

7. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Anybody else into Metal Gear Solid V? It's the first time I've reeeeally dove into a Metal Gear game, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm probably 50 hours in, and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface. The game has a lot of depth, but its accessible depth that doesn't throw arcade gamers like me for too much of a loop. Great game

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I got it, but have not started really. I am still on Dragon Age Inquisition - it is so friggin huge, and Bloodborne. Metal Gear is my next big gaming project. Looking forward to it though - so many positive reviews on it.

9. september

Sep 14, 2012
    It's probably the busiest game I've played, in a good way. It does cop out a bit after chapter 1 by repeating some missions with harder fail states (no alerts etc) but still enjoying it.

Pluto reminds me I have both those to finish too, so many open world games this gen, it's good but you almost need to make gaming a full time job to finish them all.

10. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I will say that it's truly deserving of the hype. I didn't expect it to be, but I really love every aspect of it. Levelling up is so satisfying, and building a bigger and better team/base adds so much depth, but as I said before, in a totally non-overwhelming way. I like to pick up a gun and shoot. Run forward. Shoot some more. This game has changed a lot of that for me. It's just a massive game that you can pour hours and hours into and you feel like you're just having a blast with no end in sight. Definitely my recommended "if you had to buy one game this year" game.

11. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Flash sale going on in the U.S. at least. The Sniper Elite 3 caught my eye for the PS4. Nabbed Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite for the PS3. I'm on the fence with XCOM Enemy Unknown.

12. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Get XCOM, if you like TBS games you'll love it, also, Sniper Elite 3, I just bought it along with Lone Survivor and I can say that both are really good, specially Lone Survivor, I've never been so scared in a game since I played PT or The Evil Within and this is quite a feat, considering this is a pixel art game.

13. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    #533 darkhorse, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    TBS games are probably my least played genre. Might get it, I'm leaning towards yes. Just a couple of bucks less and I would've jumped on it for sure.

Speaking of P.T. I better play my copy before Konami goons come to my door and delete it.

14. TheOutlander

Apr 15, 2014
    Yeah, I still have it on my HD, better play it before Konami turns it into a Pachinko machine

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  16. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Anyone besides me excited for AC Syndicate? I got it preordered and hoping Ubisoft learned from the Unity errors.

17. TheOutlander

Apr 15, 2014
    You know, after The Order 1886 I took a Rorshachish approach to preordering, never preorder, not even in the face of hype.
    But I'm still interested on Syndicate, it looks really nice but again, I fear that Ubisoft will strike again :/

18. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I was initially interested but the English stereotypes come over pretty comical the more I watched, so it's a wait and see thing for me.

19. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I thought it was pretty clear what type of game it was going to be, the Internet was in negative mode well before it hit the shelves. I enjoyed it, but it needed a hell of a lot more game sequences (which it did well).

20. TheOutlander

Apr 15, 2014
    Me too, I mean there wouldn't have a problem with The Order if it was longer, but the length and pseudo steath were the things that I hated the most.