The Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Okay, so here goes. I don't consider myself a completionist by any means... games hold my attention just for as long as they do. The minute I cease to maintain interest (for XYZ reasons), I probably stop playing the game and it starts collecting dust.

Take Alto's Adventure. I spent a long time praising and enjoying the game, putting it on the same pedestal as I once did Fruit Ninja when it first released. Along came a quest which felt broken during the game's later stages, which overall halted my progression to a dead stop and I eventually just gave up on the game.

I'm glad Bloodborne is difficult (similarly), but each death gives me an understanding on what to do better the next time around instead of the seemingly random terrain (and speed at which things move at) in Alto's Adventure. I can plan my strategies, modify my moves and taste the sweet fruit of victory as a reward of my well-executed plans.

I'm completely new to the Dark Souls games, and while I find Bloodborne a challenge, it keeps me wanting to push on beyond each death just to avenge my previous fall. Travelling across the same lands after each death just to get back to the Boss may be frustrating to a lot of people, but it puts all the more emphasis on the importance of actually NOT dying and planning your moves better. You aren't required to kill enemies on your way back to the boss when you die; I usually run past them, which thankfully isn't too bad.

Load times in between areas and deaths are indeed annoying, but a round of QuizUp usually keeps my head busy and my attention off the loading screen. I hope this gets addressed in a patch soon.

Controls for the game are tight and the weapons, while short on numbers, offer you the ability to switch modes and playstyles. EACH WEAPON is different in the way it hits, feels and does damage. There are no "re-skins" for weapons and each one feels unique to itself, which is great for 2nd/3rd playthroughs.

Overall I keep going back to the game for more, despite it putting me on my ass time after time. Is it a must-buy? Yes. Is it worth buying a PS4 for, alone? .........most definitely. If anyone's on the fence over this game, close your eyes and take the leap of faith. The countless glowing reviews out there for the game exist for a reason :)

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Thanks KineticBlur, good write up.

Bought and only played briefly but while I liked Demons Soul, I never really had the time for it because it was slow, this on the other hand steps it up a notch and pacing is very good. Loving it so far.

3. KineticBlur

Jul 21, 2014
    :)

From what I understand, the Souls games put more emphasis on defensive combat as well. Bloodborne, as you already probably know by now rewards you for taking an aggressive stance in combat by granting lost health back if you retaliate within a few seconds after being hit. I think there are also only 1 or 2 shields in the entire game to be found... it clearly shows the direction in which the game was intended. I personally couldn't be happier - i'm always up for a more "DMC-style" approach to combat vs. a more slow-paced affair.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  5. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Yep. I played it on PS3 and PS4 (cross buy). Pitching and batting is legit. $20 kinda threw me off but went on with the purchase and have no regrets. Its single player based so if you're looking for online multiplayer, you won't find it here. Just online leaderboards.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Axiom Verge today. Holy hell I want that game, but I just don't have the funds for new games right now.

7. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Finally made it to the Cathedral, I'm amazed at how well structured everything is, from the crafting of the intricate environment design to the events that are forever evolving. Honestly one of the weirdest games I've played but in a good way, I wasn't convinced I'd gel with the lore and aesthetics but it all comes together really well.

I'm of course talking about Bloodborne, in my enthusiasm I forgot to specify the game.

8. KineticBlur

Jul 21, 2014
    Can't wait for MK:X :D

9. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Does tower of guns have local co-op?

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The store listing says it is:

1 player

No mention of multiplayer, so no. I haven't tried the game yet. Has anyone tried it? Any good?

11. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I haven't played it yet but can't say videos have sold me, gives the impression of someone's free mod rather than being a game. But hey, looks might be deceiving and may be fun.

12. KineticBlur

Jul 21, 2014
    Scored an early copy B)

[​IMG]

13. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Has anyone had any issues with their PS4 since purchase? Specifically power related.

14. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    No issues here. What power related issues are you having?

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Mine too has been running great. Have sometimes had is running 16 hours / day without problems, although the fan turns on high fairly frequently.

16. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Well, it's varied but increasingly more frequent, turns itself on, turns itself off, puts itself into rest mode, resets itself until it gets stuck in safe mode. Last couple of nights I've been unable to play much without it happening while playin, or even just browsing. Seems fairly common looking it up on the net so was curious to see if anyone here had been affected, I rang support and they want nearly $400 to look at it, brilliant customer care.

17. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Ouch 400? Is it not under warranty?

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    That's what a new one costs. Why would they think they could charge $400 for repairs??? That sucks.

My PS4 has not had any notable issues.

19. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Yeah 400 doesn't sound right. Like crunc mentioned why would anybody do that instead of just buying a new one.

I bought the extended warranty for my PS4, kinda glad I did now.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    You might want to try booting into safe mode and reinstalling the system software (note that this will wipe everything out, including save data, so back any up if you want to). Be sure to scroll down to the section labeled "Perform a New Installation of the System Software" and get the system software from that section, not from the section on updating the system software.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Also note that on the flash drive you have to be sure to name the folders with uppercase letters. They mention that in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7RZLPDU3X8&list=PLC10C9361F47440CD&index=2