iPad The Plateau - out-of-this-world puzzle game in App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pe8er, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Pe8er

Pe8er Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #1 Pe8er, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    Hello everybody,

My name is Piotr Gajos, I'm the art director at SpoonJuice. We have recently released "The Plateau" - a puzzle game for iPhone/iPod touch. Goal of the game is to untangle knots of orbs and glowing lines in distant space environment. There are two game modes - Challenge and Arcade. Second one includes a timer, which makes gameplay quite intense and stressful at times.

We are quite excited about this release, as the game looks great, music is addicting and we believe that gameplay is captivating.

I am posting here because we really want to hear from you guys - iPhone and iPod touch gamers. Feel free to check it out and do let us know what you think. Is it good? What should we improve? What would you like to see in future updates? Did it cause any problems for you?

Watch the video on our website

Get the full version in your local App Store :)

Get the Lite version

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    The artwork looks awesome but what is it you actually do in this game?
    If you want people to buy it, you have to tell sooner or later.;)

3. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    #3 Paulio, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    this has a striking resemblance to UntangleManiak. Is this the same game with nice graphics (very nice graphics)?

After reading the review, I'm pretty certain this is the same game, but very polished. There is a free lite version of UntangleMania which I had, until I deleted it, but I would recommend this if you like this type of game. This one sure looks much, much awesomer :p.

4. Pe8er

Pe8er Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I forgot to add! There's a video on our website - check it out. Goal of the game is to untangle knots of orbs and glowing lines in space environment. The idea is not new although we believe we remade it with the best quality possible :)

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    The prettier version of Untangle?

6. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I've purchased The Plateau last week and it's a well produced game with a nice menu system, graphics and sound. In resume, it's in an upper level of most of the $0.99 games.

I'd like to see a better Help, with a Tutorial alike instructions: a really simple level showing the steps to solve it and why it's considered solved. Of course, I understand what to do now but not at first.

The Arcade mode increases the replayability for sure but it lacks an online high score which I found it's a nice feature because it gives that competitive touch to the game.

It's an original and beautiful puzzle that gets harder due mainly the size of the screen.

4/5. :)

7. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Looks great. Bought it. Put it on the list of my washroom games ;)

8. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    I'm almost ready to buy this game - I just want to check something first...

In your game description in iTunes, you say that there are 50 levels, but then you also say that each level is dynamically generated with an advanced AI algorithm so each game is unique.
    How can the two of those exist together?

Should I assume that in the first point above, ie: there being 50 levels, you mean that there are "50 levels of increasing difficulty"?
    And that would also mean that every time you play a new game, the new level 1 will have a different layout to the previous game's level 1?

I love puzzle games, but I much prefer those with dynamically generated layouts over those with pre-set layouts...

9. Pe8er

Pe8er Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Brett,

I have replied to your email. I will paste it here so that everyone can see answers to your questions.

Each time you start a new game, level 1 will have a different layout. We set the game to have 50 levels, so that player has a sense of achieving something when they reach the final level. Theoretically we could implement an unlimited number of levels but there are certain technical limitations that didn't allow for it.

Apart of it gameplay is so engaging that you will never feel like playing the same thing twice :)

10. JamesC

JamesC Active Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Hi Pe8er,

I'm a big fan of UntangleManiak (I got lite, then full, then PuzzleManiak), but your game looks visually more appealing, and (more importantly) from the video looks smoother. I see you plan to have online scoring as a future update - could you tell me how this is likely to be implemented please?

The UM method of having a daily challenge with your online score being the total of your scores from the last 10 games works really well, since it means that a one off really lucky score doesnÂ’t dominate the high score table for ever. That said, maybe you have an even better plan?

Also, is the $0.99 a permanent price, or a promo one?

Cheers,

James.

11. Pe8er

Pe8er Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Hey James!

Online scores will be implemented for 100%, we are actively working on it. And $0.99 is a permanent price :)

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Love your simple, free clock aka "Night Stand", it doesn't take a heartbeat to grab your new game. Very good looking, polished and again "simple" fun. Both the music and SFX are good and the game play is quite on-the-spot for a puzzle lover. The only thing I would like to see it better is adding a "loading" message or graphics or something similar during start-up or I would not know if the apps is loading or freezing. ;)

Oh btw, Flick Fishing is not the way to have a load screen I had on my mind...:rolleyes:

13. Pe8er

Pe8er Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Unfortunately implementing loading message/animation on startup is quite difficult. It is on our roadmap though. Thanks for your feedback!

14. mek

mek Well-Known Member

how far have people gotten on this game

i seem to be stuck @ level 11, but i've only put about 5 minutes into level 11, so I will try it again

15. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Level 21 right now.

By the way, undo should require a confirmation to avoid tap by mistake.

16. Pe8er

Pe8er Member

Dec 8, 2008
    @Carlos-Sz: that's a very reasonable remark, we will implement that. Can you tell me how is the gameflow working out for you? Is it difficult? How much time did you spend on the game so far?

17. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Just to add my voice... I'm only on level 15, but I get very very little time to play games (I have a 2-year old daughter!), so I just get 5 minutes or so here and there.
    But to get to the point, yeah, I'm loving it. A simple concept, but brilliantly implemented. And the dynamic nature of the puzzle layouts, rather than being pre-set configurations, gives it infinite re-playability.

18. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    To be honest I'm enjoying the game more than I thought I would.

It's not that difficult when you start a game with a kind of strategy... I'd say the game is well balanced. If it was too hard I wouldn't like it at all (lack of time). :)

Finally, I'd like to suggest another power-up (I'm not sure it's possible): once tapped the power-up would remove one or two of the strings to make the level a bit easier.

Look forward for the Undo improvement because I've tapped Undo by mistake twice...

19. mek

mek Well-Known Member

what is the deal with the powerups, or orbs
    do you tap them? i just figured when they appeared you got them or whatever
    i guess i should of read the instructions, but i have been enjoying the game regardless

20. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Unfortunately, the instructions don't mention them. :confused: