Universal The Pirate: Caribbean Hunt (by Home Net Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JacekS, Jun 5, 2016.

1. !nsomn!ac

!nsomn!ac Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Have you tried capturing a good ship or buying another ship, putting the second ship on follow, commanding it to shoot at enemies and kiting enemy ship with your main ship around your second one? It significantly adds to your firepower. Granted, it becomes more complicated to micro manage 2 ships, but its so worth it.

I really hope this game gets the support it deserves and becomes bigger, so that the multiplayer is more active.

2. JacekS

JacekS Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
  3. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of support for this game. It is hands-down a great, mobile Age of Sail game. It's deep enough in both strategy and action to scratch a major sailing/Pirates! itch, while being very well tailored to the mobile platform. It's depth expands at a pretty solid rate as you learn the mechanics. I'll urge players to get out in the Open World sooner rather than later, as you miss a good many opportunities (and danger) by fast travelling between missions.

I'm a bit of a connoisseur of the genre and can say this is definitely my favorite Age of Sail game in some time. Naval Action continues to hold my PC sailing game spot at the moment but with it's extremely fair free-to-play model (one-time purchase to remove ads that aren't all that onerous to begin with) this is a no-brainer for anyone even mildly interested in these types of games. :)

Thank you to the devs for a great experience!

4. FuriousThumbs

FuriousThumbs Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    What is the open world mode? I didn't understand this when I press it.

What is the strongest ship in the game? Is it one if the IAP ones?

5. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

open world is basically traveling as in a real world, in real time, not only go for the mission and back... so ie. if you want to go from Barranquilla to San Juan of Puerto Rico, you must have at least a couple (or more) of hours of your day only for that, and on the way you can find every kind of events, like sunken ships, pirates & merchant ships, crates to collect, lands to explore through your spyglass... believe me, an incredible experience for an incredible game!

unfortunately still lacks of travels with storms and heavy seas, maybe the only aspect missing in the game.

6. FuriousThumbs

FuriousThumbs Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Is it worth switching to open world once I have built up a fleet and completed missions?

7. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

you can switch whenever you want, even with one ship only, until you dock in a port the game doesn't save.

8. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    This game is really very good. A lot of fun. Well done! Enjoying it lot. Cool trading, fun fighting, great graphics.

9. Naraka

Naraka Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Surprised we haven't seen a TA review of this game. I know there are a ton of games so it must be hard to keep up but this one seems especially deserving.

10. JamesFenway

JamesFenway Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Interested

Am I even alive?

I need this game!!

11. gonif

gonif Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Anyone managed to complete the first "mortar a town" mission? No matter which port I pick, the fleet defending the port is 5-6 ships, all of them tier 5 (man-o'-war, 2nd rate, 1st rate). They wipe the floor with me. I really don't want to work up to getting FOUR 1st rate ships, just to have a chance at this mission.

12. henrycupcake

henrycupcake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Oh god .all these great indie games have a thing for not supporting the iOS Game Center ? Guess me and my 30+ friend will have to skip on this

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #53 Royce, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    This game is astonishing. It's just so good. I can't believe how long it took me to try it. And for free with very few ads, it's kind of crazy. I will be buying the ad removal anyway. The game is very immersive and I'd rather just get rid of them. I might buy a ship as well but I'd like to take it slow and enjoy building my fleet up in game (just two ships so far).

Also there seems to be a bug where, when I tap a "?" on a premium ship in the shop to view its stats, I cannot exit that screen (neither the "x" button nor the "<-" work to close the window).

14. JacekS

JacekS Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    You can close this window by clicking anywhere outside description window.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #55 Royce, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Doesn't work for me. I can't close it by any means other than killing the app or buying the item. There's actually a similar bug I'm experiencing in the ship inventory where if I tap on an item for the description, I can't close the pop up without changing to a different screen (switching ships by pressing the button which I can activate even though it's hidden behind the popup for instance, or going to the buy/sell screen).

16. JacekS

JacekS Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Can you tell me what device you've got - we will check it, maybe it is specific for some resolution.

17. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    6S with latest iOS.

18. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Wow! First impressions are way better than expected! Well done controls, really good graphics, seemingly deep customization and progression. Sign me up, argh!

19. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Played some more and still being amazed at stuff I find - the addition of the thunderstorms is awesome!

Two things though. First, the UI could use some cleanup and polish. It looks too amateurish compared to the rest of the graphics which are gorgeous, and I'm constantly having problems trying to find stuff.

Second, maybe I'm doing the trading wrong, but I'm always losing money - when I sell stuff, the sale price is always less than the purchase price, even if I buy in a town that lists the item as cheap and then go to sell in a town that lists the same item as expensive. So am I missing something?

20. JacekS

JacekS Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Update 4.3 is now available:
    - Cabin lights
    - Waves in Open World
    - Enemy try to abordage your ship
    - Flags behavior fixed
    - "square sail" upgrade for caravel
    - 2 new ship types: war galleon and corvette
    - New premium ship: Esperanza Spanish War Galleon