Universal The Other Brothers - (by 3D ATTACK INTERACTIVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. AlmightyMax

AlmightyMax New Member

May 16, 2012
    Dunno if someone has mentioned this already but are there any plans to add a fixed d-pad? Cant handle the floaty one - my thumb is already cramped after only the first level!

2. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Presentation and music are great, but I also have to agree that the floating joystick doesn't work for me. Also, an option to skip cutscenes would be nice for repeating levels.

3. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Awesome game don't see the problem with the controls at all, I love the AI, the enemies really come after you lol.Finally a game worth the wait

4. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Really?! No one else has stated this as a problem. If only the dev was looking at implementing a fixed d-pad in an update. How awesome would that be

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The way the vstick is implemented is retarded. If they want to use a floating vstick, make it so everytime you touch ANYWHERE, the stick centers around you finger/thumb always. Not lik it currently is setup where it doesnt center when you still tap inside the dpad.

Better yet, use a fixed dpad.

6. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Yeah, worst stick I've ever seen, but they'll add a fixed one.

At least I got my platforming fix today with Miss Claire Garden (was out of the App Store and came back recently, I hadn't played it yet).

7. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    There are alternative dpads on the way ASAP for those who dislike analogue for this type of game - and iCade :D

8. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    #108 wigzisonfire, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    AWESOME. Look forward to the control update. Btw, this game is FREAKING RADDDDD

P.s. how is this game only £0.69!!!?? Should be a couple of quid man, this is an absolute steal!

9. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Respectable, good sir.

10. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Yeah I really want to like this but the floating d-pad is ruining it. You'd think with all the extra development time this would've come up in Q&A.

11. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I like the default controls. :) But, it's cool that you're adding some d-pads options and iCade compatability.

Also "early adopters" getting a lower price is a nice change of pace. ;)

12. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    I am really enjoying this - well worth the wait, and considering what the developers have been thru to finalise this its worth saying congratulations and thank you for a quality game.
    To only charge $1 after such a process too... Wow, glad you are raising the price.

Love the graphics, which is the obvious thing to say here but, it's dam true - the music is wonderful, I didn't find it short..,
    The controls seem to be the hot topic so ill say something on that.

After years of iPhone or "touch screen" gaming I think we have all become a little disconnected with a different setup on said devices. I love the way the controls feel - it really IS like a true d-pad, you kinda just have to actively think about it s bit more when playing on a screen...
    My only advice would be to add an option to make the darn thing static... My old SNES controllers d-pad stays nice and still ;)

Anyway I could rattle on here so going to get back to playing... (And a little "Slayin" for good measure!)

Thanks SimianSquared and a massive congratulations.

planck

13. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    I wish I had a dollar for each person who comes here to complain about the freaking d-pad.

Devs must be dreaming of d-pads tonight... (or not sleeping at all because of them)

14. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    The Other Brothers is Absolutely fantastic! I have been looking forward to this game for quite some time and it far exceeds my expectations in every way. The meticulous detail of the pixel art characters and sprawling environments, the energetic soundtrack, and loads of quirky personality mesh together admirably to produce one of the most stylish and innovative platformers ever released on iOS. The controls are responsive and accurate, and the character's inertia and double jump provide much ease of movement. Unlike some of the other players, I found that the d-pad styled joystick controller works exceptionally well after I spent a few minutes getting the hang of it. It seems especially suited to all of the climbing and scaling that the game calls for, actions that may become more difficult with the fixed d-pad. I would however welcome the addition of a fixed d-pad so that I can try out the game with my WiiMote via Blutrol.

My thanks to the developers for their labor of love and attention to detail. I hope that this venture provides ample remuneration so that we may continue to see more adventures of the iconic Other Brothers in the near future.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Christ, I know right?

16. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    99¢ and no IAP what is this madness

17. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2748059&postcount=93 I'll forgive you

This should help too. http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2721068&postcount=1511

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think there's a certain irony in all the posts claiming the d-pad is retarded. I mean... you're the ones who can't use it. The devs said the d-pad WAS put through a lot of Q&A, and it kinda shows to me. I breezed through the first level with the accuracy of a ninja warrior.

The whole reason it doesn't remain static is because you get no tactile feedback on a touchscreen. Your thumb naturally wanders as you play and so the most comfortable solution is to make the d-pad wander with it. I agree with planckboy, you've basically become accustomed to the crap forced upon you. And stop tapping the damn screen, keep your thumb on it. I know what you're up to.

19. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    what bothers me more is the button placement on zhe ipad.. down in the corner and now way to hold the pad comfortable.

floating dpad and fixed buttons is odd without the option to move them around.

i think the split keyboard is alway a good idea where co trol elements should be placed.. in the and your thumbs have tot the action while the rest grips the pad firmly.. but with buttons at the bottom.. mehh

but at least the games oozes style.. might want to try on the iphone but the 4" screen is so small :/

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I just dragged it out...