Universal The Other Brothers - (by 3D ATTACK INTERACTIVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    $2 for such a well crafted game is a steal... Should be $4! More...
    Free updates as well so u will get to play even more chapters.
    I highly recommend this - one of the most solid platformers on the AppStore - and definitely the prettiest.

planck

2. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    With the new controls I was able to finish this one and I have to say i really liked it. Some of the most creative level design I have ever seen in a platformer. I will ask you to resist the urge to ramp up the difficulty in any future updates. :) It's already hard enough. In most platformers there's a little room for sense of exploration, but in this one it's too risky because crazy freaks are always trying to kill you from all sides. :D

3. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Thank you so much for your kind words :) No worries, new levels won't be much harder then what you're currently playing. We certainly don't want to frustrate players. The game is challenging but never unfair in it's current state. Enemies may be more aware of you and are smarter then your typical platformer enemy but after all... our game is a bit different in many aspects. Glad you loved it. We are currently working on new content and will post a few things here starting next week.

4. Game Whiz

Game Whiz Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Janitor/Developer/Whatever needs to be done around
    Portugal
    Aaahhh fellow Unity dev, I find your game absolutely inspiring, even though I personally like less retro art style. I praise you for the courage you had when developing that control system (which I personally like).

Best of luck and you have one more customer :)

5. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Okay, so I have tried 'option C' with the d-pad almost as big as it can be and the buttons as small as they can be, on my ipad. The controls are great in this fashion, so I can actually get into the game now.

My only gripes so far with the game are the interaction with the enemies. Hopping onto the bad guys is a little glitchy, and seems like something a person needs to avoid even when you feel totally in control.

6. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I think there are a lot of hardcore gamers on this thread and therefore the devs are not getting the common impressions. Even with my iCade, where the controls are perfect, the game is just too frustrating to recommend. Having finite lives and having to start over had me quit the game. Jumping 6 times or so on later enemies is not much fun either. The only reason I write on this thread is because the devs are super nice and I feel that with an easier difficulty option that has infinite lives and perhaps one stomp kills, I could enjoy this game and recommend it to my friends.

7. Windbrand

Windbrand New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Unless you're not supposed to touch the enemies at all and just avoid them, this game is effing impossible. I'm only on level 2 and the enemies already use uppercut so it's like impossible to kill them without getting hurt, since these mario-like hillbillies only kill enemies by jumping on them. Annoying as hell to have to step on each guy 3 times to kill them too. Tuxedo-clad hillbillies can use an uppercut or some ground slam attack, yet your garage hillbilly can only jump on enemies and hope they don't uppercut you... right.
    I'm guessing "enemies killed" don't factor into the stars system of each level?

8. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I have to say, I agree with this guy. Great game, but just to hard.

9. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    #869 Essex, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    So I made it to the "Subway" level

I hate the subway level. It is frustrating, not fun. I die a lot because of that damn near invincible big cop, the little cops with semi automatic guns, the passing trains, or some combination thereof. I'm done playing until the update.

A couple thoughts: Please do not make the new levels dependent upon beating all of the original levels. I will never beat the Subway level (because it causes me to curse out loud), therefore I'll never get to play the new levels if I have to beat the original ones. Consider giving us either a level skip option, or just unlock all of the levels from the jump.

Consider adding an "Easy" difficulty mode. I know the Devs are proud of the difficulty but, this game is too hard for several reasons: (1) The enemies require multiple stomps to defeat; (2) The enemies have special attacks; and (3) the Brothers have no special attacks of their own to counter the enemies. The head jump is inadequate for beating the enemies. I am going to strongly recommend that the dev team implement some special moves for the Brothers that are standard moves; not power ups.

As an aside, I beat the original Ninja Gaiden on XBox, which is one of the hardest games I ever played. The thing about that game though, was that the protagonist was armed with a ton of powerful moves and special attacks that, when mastered, allowed me to handle any enemy the game threw at me. With The Other Brothers, however, the protagonists feel weak and puny compared to the enemies. The enemies are throwing uppercuts, smashing the ground, shooting bullets and teargas, while my only recourse is to jump on their heads? No sir, I don't like it.

10. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    #870 SimianSquared, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    I hear you all and this will be addressed and raised with the team. Thomas (of 3D Attack) does the level layout and enemy placement for most of the levels so he is responsible for the pacing and difficulty. I am sure he will read this thread and decide on what to do.

In the meantime, perhaps it is worth adding an option or code which essentially just gives you infinite lives - so you would always start from the nearest checkpoint.

Let us know what you think.

While you wait you can make the game significantly easier by:
    When hit, ignore enemies, just collect the pigeon you lost. Always double-jump towards the nearest pigeon whenever you are hurt. Don't try attacking enemies, just make sure you catch your escaping pigeon and move on. This method of playing makes it harder to get stars, but it will allow you to complete any level so long as you focus only on catching the pigeons you lose.

11. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks for the tip. I'll defiantly try it! :)

12. planckboy

Oct 8, 2012
    Good Pro Tip - Pigeons are your best friend in the game... And outside the game if your a crazy pigeon person who resides with said pigeons.

planck

13. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Now that I've calmed down a bit, I think I'll just ham-fist (ignore enemies; collect pigeons) my way through the Subway level just so I can unlock the Fat Ninja Boss. I really enjoyed the first boss fight, looking forward to facing Fat Ninja...

14. planckboy

Oct 8, 2012
    @ Essex - Fat Ninja you will enjoy... Don't get stuck racking up your score like I did... Racked up a huge score and the prick killed me :(
    I will have my revenge... CHAPTER 2 is not far off either!
    Yay!

15. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    The game does have the odd quirk of huge scores here and there, but I doubt it detracts much from it's quirky charm. It's not really about competing too heavily but about overcoming it's challenges and seeing what's next :)

16. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    I really don't care about scores. I would like to get enough stars to unlock the second character, though. I may try to do that before the new chapter comes out. Most of my runs were desperate just-to-survive no-star runs. I went back to try to three star the first level and collected everything I could see, but I took so long I still only got one star.:)

17. planckboy

Oct 8, 2012
    True that team - I really just wanted to make sure my score was better than gsep's :D
    Ha ha I ain't letting that Chimp beat me!

With Love

Daniel

18. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Oh yes yes yes happy day happy day! I beat two levels and I feel great! Btw No one cares if I got no stars at all! I still did good! NOT :p

19. zzandreezz

zzandreezz Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    Now how do you beat the Fat Ninja? I kept jumping on him but he doesnt die :/

20. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    He's blocking you :) figure out when he's vulnerable...