Universal The Other Brothers - (by 3D ATTACK INTERACTIVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Awesome! Thanks to you guys really :)
    First you told us what was wrong.
    Then you encouraged us to fix it!

All I really did was listen.

Since I am one of the developers, I won't try to change how you think (I'm funny like that, I think people deserve their own opinion) so instead I will just say there are no plans for a price drop and there are plans for further free DLC, so if you like what you see, and you feel this is your kind of game, you will like it. It does have a stiff challenge and you need to be good at games :)

2. Congrats and thanks for implementing icade joystick controls and my feedback for transparent controls.

Thanks again!

3. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Connector:

Thank you for being so active as a spokesperson for the TA iCade community. Without your support, developers would not be adding iCade so much :)

4. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I am very happy to see this game finally getting the recognition it deserves!

BTW, it is worth much more than your 2 dollars!

5. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I bought this after the alternate controls were added, and... I don't really care for any of them. :( I will give it some more time but there is something goofy about the stick.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I like the stick, reminds me of the controls from an old Gameboy

Also similar-ish to Kale in Dinoland. The controls work for me now and are far far better than what they were

7. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    He reps his gadgets hard :)

iCade list is getting healthier though. We just need some fighters to jump on board

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The controls in general seem designed primarily for the iPhone/iPod, rather than the iPad (much the same as Heavy Sword). In order to make the new fixed control schemes useable on my iPad, I have to blow up the D-pad and buttons to quite a large size to cater for the severe, unforgiving hitboxes (the game doesn't register touches outside the exact button/pad graphic), and this increase in size means the dead zone in the middle of the pad increases quite dramatically as well, leading to the player character freezing whenever the thumb isn't positioned exactly on one of the points.

In addition, I'd request that you don't brighten the virtual controls when they are pressed; people tend to set virtual controls to a high level of transparency for a reason, and having them turn almost opaque and cover screen elements when they are pressed defeats that purpose. If I need a visual indicator that I've successfully pressed an action button or movement direction, well, that's what seeing my character run/jump/climb is for. :p

9. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Can't please everyone, but next update will feature tweaks across the board in pursuit of elusive perfection :)

10. ChimpSquared

ChimpSquared Member

Apr 7, 2013
    #850 ChimpSquared, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    Hey all,

Now that the dust has settled and you've all had a bit of time to properly try all of the control options available, which are you finding is the one that you use most?

A, B, C or are you using iCade more?

By the way, I posted this to our Twitter account, if any of you want to be kept up to date with what we're up to, or even better, just want to have more of a chat please do get in touch with us @SimianSquared - it's probably where me and Rob tend to hang out online.

11. Zeldaniac

Zeldaniac Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2012
    Option C works well for me.

12. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Yeah, I've been using option C since the update as well.

13. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Options C with the size turned fully up.

14. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Wondering the samething, I'll give it a try

15. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Option C. I have a suggestion for Option C. Would it be possible to shrink the dead zone in the middle and make it so that touching anywhere on the d-pad makes the brothers move at top speed? Basically, get rid of any analogue remnants on the d-pad so that the brothers are either moving at full speed (if I'm touching the d-pad) or standing still.

The trade-off would be a slight reduction in precision but I could correct for it by using subtle taps. Maybe make that Option D?

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd like this, and I'd also like the effective area to go slightly beyond the edges of the graphic. There's no other reason my thumb is going to be that far off it unless I mean to move but missed, so it might as well register.

17. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Option iCade! :D

In this case, I'm using Nyko's Playpad Pro in iCade mode.

The Other Brothers is perfect with this. Even the analog stick works.

When I'm not using iCade, I'm using Option A.

Attached Files:

18. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Thanks for posting this shot! Loving it!

19. HitStop

HitStop Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    iOS developer
    I am guessing that there is no lite version? I did not see one. I will have to grab someone else's to try it out, then. I look forward to its releases on other platforms. Good luck to 3D attack (or should I say 2D attack bwahaha) and Simian Squared.

20. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    There are no plans currently for a lite version. However, I don't think you will be disappointed spending $1.99 :)