Universal The Other Brothers - (by 3D ATTACK INTERACTIVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Wary after reading this on Pocketgamer:

"The retro graphics are fantastic, while the levels are fun and imaginative. The game's wonky controls are a let-down, though, and will take some getting used to."

Still, for a dollar, I'll probably give it a go.

2. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I have it a go, and I agree with Pocketganer's assessment. The controls are really unreliable and I would much rather a fixed dpad. I'm surprised the option isn't there, but hopefully the devs can address it in a patch.

It's not a bad game by any means, and well worth a try if you love retro platformers but in it's current form I don't feel any incentive to put up with the controls in order to finish it.

3. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    We are adding iCade support and fixed non-analogue controls for the purists soon.

PG and a small number of people are trying to play the game as if it were a fixed dpad (because the graphic looks like a fixed dpad) when in reality, its a sliding analogue control like you would get in an FPS or console game. It is designed to be rocked over/slide to move.

We decided to do it like this so there is a faster response time. In some platform games, it is life or death if you have to lift your finger up and then bring it back down on the screen. Tob is not designed for that.

4. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm happy to persist, there's bound to be oodles of entertain here for the paltry sum of a dollar. AND NO IAP!

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Finally! I'll be grabbing this tonight

6. NZer

NZer Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    I.T Tutor
    New Zealand
    Great game but these are the worst controls I've ever used....moveable D-Pad is all over the place. Shame

7. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Uh-oh. Hopefully an option for a fixed d-pad will be added.

8. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Great graphics, but crappy controls :(

9. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I don't have an issue with controls. Just keep my finger down like a normal controller. This game is crammed with cultural references. Love it

10. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    I'm glad you like it! all our testers have been reporting the same thing. The controls, I must defend them now, are actually incredibly good. But they are different from other games and so people may need to get used to them (ie not lift your finger off it).

But we will be adding sticky controls which are not analogue in the next update along with some more goodies and a price hike.

11. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Just got home and.. f i n a l l y ! This is the game I have waited forever for, and I cannot buy it fast enough. :)

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I don't get what's wrong with the controls. They're perfectly fine, and them some.

13. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Agreed! I gifted this to my bro. He immediately said it reminded him of Earthworm Jim and called in sick to work

14. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Good to hear all the good impressions about the controls now. Roll on, tonight!

15. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I'll play it at work

16. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Glad to hear that! It really takes about a few minutes to learn the controls :)

Thanks for playing and gifting it to your bro! That's kind of you!

It's just a few hours away!

Don't get caught! Don't want you to get in trouble ;)

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh wow, that's spot-on!

18. choocs

choocs Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to play it as an analogue stick. It is generally ok... But gets me very uneasy when I make jumps and have to hang onto a chain by sliding up. I find this difficult as I'm having to look at the D-pad for where 'up' is. Like I said previously, a physical D-pad foregoes the player having to look at it because we can just feel where all the directions are. But with an on-screen D-pad...

I'm really trying to like the D-pad. And I think it's great too that you guys are so responsive here. You obviously care a lot about what we think, good or bad. So I'll give the game a few more whirls.

19. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    All of this debate serves to intimate that the controls are a matter of personal preference which can be easily fixed in a patch by adding options such as a fixed analog pad or a virtual d pad.

As another poster said, I commend the dev on being so involved in the discussion, they obviously care a lot about their product and value the opinions of we, the end user.

20. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Soz double post