Universal The Other Brothers - (by 3D ATTACK INTERACTIVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Level design seems kind of clunky this game doesn't have a nice flow to it. Power ups are dull. No bonus points for consecutive jumps a la SMB1. Music loops are too short.

Yeah um no. Check out Sonic CD dude.

Stop gushing over charming pixel graphics people and look deeper!!

:eek:

Yeah that's gonna work ... I'm outta here have fun.

2. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah I love sonic cd, I have the original on my megacd and the new version, but I honestly think this is better, perhaps due to not having played it a million times

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Far from the best iOS platformer, this to me feels... Average.
    The controls are okay (but not great), the music is okay, the story introduction is okay, the gameplay itself is okay...

Whatever pop culture references I'm ignorant to, if the gameplay is average, the game feels average. It looks very distinctive and pretty good though.

4. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    This is absolutely brilliant.

There's only 6 levels and some bosses, but the levels are long, detailed and individual. It also promises free updates and there's no iAP that I can see.

5. melong

melong Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I am definitely looking forward to play this game. Although this may not be the best platformer ever, i really like the look and feel.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think i will like this game but on the other hand its only just come out today, i think its been out in NZ for 40 minutes when you wrote the above. So are you honestly saying already its the best platform game ? Seems a bit ott

Again i'm sure i will like this but i'll give it a few days of playing before proclaiming it the best !

7. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
  8. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    finally, another instabuy of the day!!

9. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Happy to see so many of you enjoying the game! Thanks everybody for their support and please spread the word about "The Other Brothers" if you can!

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I have to admit that I changed my mind about it and will wait for more impressions as hype is never good, and the TA Janitor hyped this all the way to the sun, so lets wait.

Topping Ms Splosion Man could be near impossible right now, its an almost perfect platformer with amazing production values (iPhone 4 user here, soon to upgrade), so The Other Brothers is up against something really huge IMO.

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'm probably going to get this tonight. Looks like my cup-o-tea and for a buck it's not like I'm expecting the best game ever.

12. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Finally. It's here. If u can tear me away from bioshock.

13. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Also guys remember - its a sliding or (rocking) dpad, treat it like a real dpad - you should trust it and don't lift your finger off unless you want to.

It's designed to examine time and velocity to best-guess your moves, something that certain testers have failed to realise!

As for bioshock infinite? We're not competing with it but guess what the big daddy plays on his downtime! THAT'S RIGHT! :D

14. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Or else get Elizabeth to put you through a tear where it's the 4th April and 'The Other Brothers' is out on ios!

(One for the Bioshock Infinite fans out there)

15. choocs

choocs Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Please give another option for the D-pad. The only reason real d-pads work in the first place is because of tactile feedback. I'm having immense problems knowing where the directions are and how big the dead zone is. Just have a D-pad that stays fixed on-screen... Thanks.

16. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    #36 SimianSquared, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    Thank you for the valuable feedback. The dpad in The Other Brothers is nothing like other touch screen games. It is part analogue but feels digital in response. It was the result of months of R&D. It will also support peripherals and new options for the die hards out there going forward, so purists need not worry :) It is my belief that like a car's steering wheel and seat adjustment - the game must mould to the player.

Feel free to contact the team directly if you like - we are all approachable and the doors are not closed! :)

Best thing to do is treat it as a draggable analogue dpad with velocity compensation. If you forget it is there and imagine it is an actual tactile device it will magically just work.

17. Jet_Black

Jet_Black Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Looking forward to this coming out tonight (U.K), great to see the developers active on here too. I'll be sure to leave feedback as I've been waiting for this for a long time :).

18. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Roll on clock, hurry up and get to 8pm!

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

This.

This. This. This. This. THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

!

20. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    #40 SimianSquared, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    Gameplay TIPS:

1. dpad can be dragged like analogue dpads, but has a deadzone and uses velocity of touch to best guess intentions to reduce touch screen issues found in other games.

You can use it like a traditional dpad (rock your thumb without dragging) or simply like a normal analogue, its better to not worry about it and focus on the action on screen.

2. toolboxes often give wrenches, the B button will be active then (sorry we didn't make it clearer due to deadlines).

Like a real dpad, if you are holding the shoot wrench button (B) and lean your thumb over to (A) it will allow both jump and shoot ;)

So in a sense we've tried to properly emulate a real dpad on the touch screen - it's quite a new thing and some people may get confused who are used to stiff controls where you always had to lift your finger because you got out of control. With this, if you trust it, you will be spinning, running, jumping and simultaneously shooting! I only ask that you give it a good go and have an open mind... we will be adding lots more options very soon for other people who want those choices as well.

If people are having trouble it is because they are treating it like it looks: a digital dpad. It is not, it is an analogue stick :) Treat it like that and you will be fine.