iPad The original "Space Invaders"

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Feb 22, 2009.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #1 NotYou, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
    After countless clones, this is the real thing. I find it a bit odd they took the time to port the original game, though.

The UI mimics different machines, sort of like the LCD game clones in the app store. It even has different "screen" style apparently.

Looks like a good pick for retro nuts (Blake).

[app]Space Invaders[/app] $4.99

edit:
    If this is too "before your time," a $.99 knock off came out at the same time:p.
    [app]Monsties[/app]

2. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    $4.99

Nice to see the original one!

Main graphics look small tho... I hope I'm wrong.

3. FazzyReborn

FazzyReborn Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Ahh, the game that started it all... Price is too high for me, i'll wait.

4. Hobbes

Hobbes Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    maybe for $2.00...

5. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I got a game called 'Invaders' that was only a buck. I was gonna post a link for anyone interested but i just searched for it and i guess it got pulled cause i cant find it. srry.

6. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
    #6 TRIPLE BEAM DREAM, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
    Tempting, I have something very similar to the original
    can't remember name of it, wasn't bad but had to make room
    on iPod. I'll snipe it.

The original Donkey Kong needs to be ported

Edit. The similar game is called Alien Attack .99

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I'm so sick of the retro games that keep coming out. I want something new, fresh, original, and wasn't breath-taking back in 1978.

8. FazzyReborn

FazzyReborn Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
  9. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
  10. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Yeah, I looked for it too a while back, but it was already gone. It seemed like the closest game graphically to the original "Space Invaders."
    Oh, well...
    I almost laughed when I saw the $4.99 :eek: price for the new TAITO version! That's about 3 bucks more than I am willing to pay. Wish I would have gotten "Invaders" before it was pulled...

11. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Ehhhh that's really pricy.

12. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    Retro games are awesome. I love having Pac Man on my iPod. Although I don't play it much. (it does have an amazing looking iCon.)

Anyways. For Space invaders... The screen does look small.. I think they made the screen smaller to make it look like an arcade machine. Which I think is a stupid Idea... Anyone who picks it up put up a review. (This is not worth 5 dollars... more like 2...)

13. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    The original Space Invaders cost $.25 per game to play. Many people dropped a whole lot more than $4.99 on this game when it came out.

If you get an hour of fun out of this game isn't that worth $5? This game is not pricey. It may not be your cup of tea, but don't complain about the price. Just tell us you don't like the game.

Share and enjoy,

14. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    i love retro games and would have bought this one too if they had updated it like centipede and missle command with the new modes. the new space invaders for the DS is awesome and would have been a perfect fit for the touch.

15. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    OMG yes peoples, pay .25$ per game but 30 years ago.
    Actually It's really pricy.

16. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Have to agree with Blue Ox - it's not pricey. It looks totally authentic, controls looks great and yes I did indeed drop a ton of money it. (Once Galaxians came along though that got my cash)

There was a similar push by someone to drop the price of Ancient Frog from $5 to $2 and they'd get a good review because at $5 it wasn't worth it.
    I bought it last night for £3. 100 level at £3 makes 3p a level. That is very very cheap and even if I finish only half it's 6p and lots of time enjoyably spent.

Same for SI - many younger people will not realise that games like this stuck until now because of gameplay. SI has it, many many games in the 80's / 90's and now do not. If you want eye candy go elsewhere, but if you want a solid time-proven game, buy it :)

17. Alichan

Alichan Guest

#17 Alichan, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    I, in a moment of spontaneity, bought 'Space Invasion' a while back, which proved to be a disappointment. Way too hard! I'd put the link here, but I just noticed that it isn't in the UK app store anymore. Curious. I wonder what happened to it...anyone know? Did they change the name maybe?

As for the price, I think it's a bit steep for a quick trip down memory lane.

18. Yes Space Invaders Extreme for DS is awesome. Wake me up when that comes out for iphone. Until then ...yawn...back to sleep.

19. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County

Game is awesome. There is an option were you can enlarge the screen, and it works just fine. Being a Generation X'er this was a must buy. Price is irrelevant to me, I paid over $300 for the touch, plus all the games and other apps. on it and I easily have over $2,000 on it. I can understand if you don't buy it, but STOP complaining about the price! Either buy it or don't. Or wait for a price drop. But stop whining!!!!!!!!

20. Alichan

Alichan Guest

#20 Alichan, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    Who's whining exactly? I think you have got the wrong end of the stick old chap;) I can understand if people don't want to pay this price (except the most die hard retro fans) for a relatively simple retro game with no modernizations to it, when you compare it to the other offerings for this price. I can also understand people wanting to voice that opinion here. It is a forum after all...