The open beta project for 'Save Toshi' Updates (by devs of 'Rasta Monkey')

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Noam, Oct 5, 2010.

1. danielang

danielang Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Sure:D i also love playing physics puzzle

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Cool, lets give it a chance then. Next build is coming your way in a few days.

There are a few things that came up during testing which didn't draw too much attention and yet they are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to the success of any game, so until we send you the next build (hopefully not later than Sunday) I will conduct a short survey on these points.

I believe the best way would be to release 1 question per day so we are able to focus our discussion on each matter. So my first question is:

1) 'Save Toshi' - is it a good name? - BrettArchibald has brought up the following issue, asking if "Save Toshi" is the best title (qoute: “is it too plain? does it needs to be more descriptive?... more engrish?”)

So basically this is a 2 part question. First I want to know if you love/hate the name. If you don't like it or you think you have a better candidate (Brett himself already suggested a pretty funny one), please post your suggestions and if we get enough of them we might want to put them all to a vote.

3. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    I think the name is fine self explanatory, Because you'll be saving Toshi but from what you say? From a life of no rhythm,beat,soul and the worse one no dancing :eek:OMG.

As for suggestions umm something cheesy LOL maybe like:
    Dance Toshi
    Toshi Dance Machine
    Disco Toshi
    The Toshi Dance
    GoGo Toshi
    Dance Toshi Dance

Thats all I got wish I could go on all morning LOL:p

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    lol, Not too bad for a morning crop:) I like Dance Toshi Dance.

5. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    That is true I'll think of something that incorporates physics in there somehow...

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I like what my son calls it, Toshi Dance.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Great input! how old is he?

8. rogerchiu

rogerchiu Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    Oh.. I think I missed this great beta test..

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Not neccesarily, tell us a little more about yourself, your beta experience and why do you want to test this game and you might find yourself pulled in...

10. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    He is a bit older than two and he can play it almost all alone.

11. rogerchiu

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    I am Roger Chiu and live in Hong Kong. I listed the game I beta test before in my signature. I love to play RPG, Match-3, Puzzle, TD. My son Jesse love to play RPG, SLG, Puzzle. And my wife love to play mahjong, match-3. So we can test the game in different age and give different opinion for the DEV.

My nickname in Chinese forum is DOG. Designer Of Game.
    Unlucky, I am poor in graphics. Just only know ASM, VB. Try to learn Obj-C now. Programmed some Windows base game for Jesse when he is just 3 years old. Maybe I cannot publish a game myself. I just wish I can help other to fine tune a game.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Wow, that's pretty amazing! what kind of games does he usually play?

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Cool, pretty decent background you got there Roger, welcome to the open beta project! Ill do my best to squeeze you in on the next build.

14. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Lego!

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    lol, so he already has some experience smashing blocks:)

16. rogerchiu

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Noam. Just let me know which device you want me to test with.
    (iPhone 4 iOS4.1, iPhone 3G iOS4.1, iPodTouch 3.1.3, iPad 3.2.2)

17. Eranmz

Eranmz New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Hi everybody, sorry for joining late in the game, it's been a busy week of work around the clock :)

My name is eran and I'm an ilustrator, mostly working for the gaming and animation industries.

After the short intro let's continue to the game...

So,

1) loved the games mechanics, the idea of shooting at stuff to make them fall works well, but it's seems that the different materials in the game respond a bit rough, what I mean that the green matter doesn't feel like rubber or gel which is what I am assuming it is.

2) loved it when toshi went flying or drowning because of the sound of course :) , but like it was said in here before, toshi feel kinda flat as a character, maybe there should be a reason for us to save her beside the obvious, even a silly reason would give the player a better connection with the game.

Now for the thing that I didn't like, one, which was stated here is the difficulty level which is too easy, and was mentioned plenty of times so no need to repeat except for one comment that said level 19 was in a different stage of difficulty ,which I agree.

The second one was the graphics, and I got a few problems there...
    First, I like the design but there are many inconsistacies in it,
    There were two backgrounds, one of the mountains and one of the islands,
    The first was done with vectors and appers cartoon like and the second is saddenly done with real pictures...
    Persenly I like the vector feel but what I am trying to say is pick a style and stay with it... Right now it felt like the game was combined out of many elements, it would be nice if there was one graphic language for all, plus some more details on the elements like rivets on the metal boxes and more verity in the boxes themselves, like maybe card boxes or storing box for Ikea, stuff that will add diversity to the game...

I think that's it for now, sorry if there any spelling mistakes (did my best to avoid them but I not perfect)

Hope this help, I will try to have a secound go and see if I find other thing that didn't catch me in the game so far

Be back on the weekend, take care...

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Hi Eran, thanks for joining in!
    Good feedback, next time please try to rearrange it following the guidelines I give, so it will be easier and faster for us to process it and to make sure were not missing anything.
    BTW, both graphics (foreground and back) were made out of photos (Krabi island in Thailand was the main inspiration), no vectors were involved in the process. maybe what you actually mean is that you'd prefer less details on the closer looking graphics?

19. Eranmz

Eranmz New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Hi Noam,

Not what I ment about exactly, went back to the game and check it again, there is a loading screen, where toshi is appearing in in the background there are mountains in vector, I think..., still maybe it's just for me, but it's feels like the backgrounds and the game elements (meaning toshi and the arena and cubes) are in different styles alltoghter , u guys made a great job in designing this game but it feel not all the way there, I think u need to stick to one style and follow it through, like if we are going on the pictures then I feel that the game elements should be treated the same, materials and such,
    And I think the game elements should be more detailed then the background.

Hope it's more clear, and I will try to stick to the guideline more next time...

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    OK I get it now, you're talking about the painted background for the loading screen (again not vectors, just hand painted in photoshop). Let me see what I can do and thanks for clearing things up.