The open beta project for 'Save Toshi' Updates (by devs of 'Rasta Monkey')

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Noam, Oct 5, 2010.

1. UVRadiation

UVRadiation Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Thanks, I can’t seem to reproduce it on this one. I would appreciate a screen shot or anything that can help point it out if it happens again.

2. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    All right, here goes:

1) 3-starred all 20 levels.
    2) a. WAY too easy - completely beat the levels within an hour.
    b. Toshi's voice doesn't sound right - more stereotypically Italian than Japanese. That should be fixed.
    3) That's it for now.
    4) a. Great gameplay mechanic with the shooting of the platforms!
    b. Shooting Toshi when you are frustrated. :p
    5) When I hit the restart button and immediately shoot, a green flash appears like normal, but no shot happens. Also, there ought to be a "Return to menu" button on the "level complete" screen.

3. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    #63 goiMot, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    I finally had the chance to play the game this morning on my ipad and these are my impressions (I’m on level 19):

1.Experience check - I love the art and the graphics are very polished. Looks beautiful on the ipad.
    For a moment I felt I was playing Stair Dismount (the 3D models, the core mechanic, the camera movement and the way you hit the blocks) which is an outstanding game.
    Until level 19 I think the game is on the easy side, there’s not challenge so far, probably the first 20 levels are an introduction to the mechanics of the game? I hope so.

2. Collective decision making -
    My major concern would be the difficulty of the game and I felt that It could be very repetitive. I finished these 19 levels in less than 15 minutes, and in certain moments I didn’t want to continue playing it. You could add different balls, blocks, belts, conveyors, etc. to make it more challenging.

3. Can't help it? -
    - Can't access OF yet. Probably because this is a beta?
    - Different backgrounds.
    - More obstacles.

4. Thumbs up! -
    - the art is amazing, very well done!
    - Like in Eco pUnk, I want to applaud the attention to detail (toshi's eyes, the way the blocks fall, the water, the voice), everything shows the love that u guys put on this game.

5. The bugs -
    I haven't found any bugs yet.

I know u guys are going to listen what we say here and will make make some adjustments. For sure after that, "Save Toshi" is going to be another hit for Nitako.;)

4. danielang

danielang Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    already send an email to @Noam =)

5. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I do not seem to manage to recreate the bug as well, but because I do not manage to get the stone rolling in the same way any longer.

BTW to me, Italian, Toshi does not sound Italian :confused:

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I agree with medianotzu, having more steps to complete a level would be awesome. Maybe setting up a few platforms before you can move Toshi to them, or disarming a potentially lethal trap before she hits it.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Round 1 summery

Sorry for the delay in my response, but in the last 3 days I had a problem in my eye, so my wife had to use extreme measures to keep me away from computer screens:)
    Anyway I’m back and I have to say WOW, what a great first round of beta testing! your input about the game has opened our eyes to all the important issues that needed to be changed, and we already started working on fixing most of them.

Let me tell you how we plan to progress from here. First we organized all the inputs you kindly gave us in this spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoPeTepU_M0ZdEp4emd6Zkd4bGs3eEVwLW5XdnhFSVE&hl=en&authkey=CPqNqawE#gid=0

This spreadsheet will be visible to all of you so you can check to see if we didn't make any mistakes and also follow the progress on specific issues by checking the “solution” and “status” columns.

In each new version we will try to address the 2 most urgent objections (the ones you've classified as major) and solve them first.

Like we hoped, there was certainly a pattern in your feedback. Most of you mentioned the difficulty curve and variety of game-play situations and elements as their 2 main concerns. Therefor we rearranged the first 20 levels and removed some levels we felt might have been redundant. We also added many more levels - The next build will have around 80-100 levels in it with new game elements and gradually increasing puzzle complexity.

Other more secondary issues we started to deal with in the next build are:
    1) More scenery - this is already in work, hopefully will be ready for the next build
    2) More outfits for Toshi - Fixed! Toshi will wear a different outfit for each pack (20 levels)
    3) Tutorial is not well separated from the game - we decided to take some of your recommendations and just cancel the Tutorial button on the Main Manu. Now you just press the ‘Play’ button and the 1st level is also a tutorial level.
    4) More variations in Toshi’s sentences - Fixed! we added new phrases for her to say, also the system will randomly choose a set of different sentences for each level, so there will be more of a change from level to level.
    5) More variations in level end music - we already added 1 new version for the end level music, more will come soon.
    6) Star rating system is unclear - We added a clarification inside the game, I don’t want to tell you what it is yet, in order to see if it’s clear enough.
    7) End level music should fade when switching to next level - fixed!
    8) Bug fixes - 4 fingers freeze bug and more, you can read all about it in the changelog file inside the zip file that will be sent to you on the upcoming build.

There are also a few issues where people’s opinions were oppositional. Fortunately enough there was usually a vast majority versus a tiny minority so we took the majority’s side.
    For example: 2-3 of you thought the story was “unreasonable” and found Toshi’s voice and attitude annoying, but a majority of 12 actually LOVED these elements and found them to be the things that they most like about the game so we decided to leave them in.

That’s it for now, we are working hard on the next build, in the meanwhile you are invited to test the game on friends and relatives like some of you had already done and report back on this thread. Also keep discussing any points you feel are left untouched, you all have excellent taste so we are eager to listen.

One last thing - some people who asked to join the beta never got back with a report. these are: ipadlips, supermariofan, altair77, ataloss, legowiz, drelbs, Jarek and Eran Michalovitz.
    I’m hoping you guys were just too busy lately and will check in soon. I will however send the next build only to people who made an effort to report here on the thread so if you want to stay in the loop, please do.

Oded (soundguy), you never actually gave your input about the game itself after it stopped crashing on your device. Please do since your opinion is very important.

Thanks again to all of you, what an awesome team to work with!

8. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Sounds like next built will be an exciting one to test!
    As I mentioned before my only non documented complain is that now every time I picked my ipad, my son asks for Toshi. :)

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    lol, I will add that to the spreadsheet:) you should tell him to send his udid and join the forums:)

10. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    wow, amazing job Noam, once again this shows the dedication and love u put in this game. Can't wait for the next built.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Thanks man! it's your feedback that keeps us going in the right direction so keep feeding our brains!

12. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    noam, goimot is right.
    Such dedication is great to see from app devs!

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Thanks again, tell that to my wife:) I think we just believe in and love what we do. We try to make games we would like to play and then find some really great people like yourselves to test them and tweak the game accordingly. I see more and more developers who are afraid do do original stuff because it's "more risky" so they just copy stuff they know and change the graphics (some even present their games stating what it was copied from!!!), and it makes me kinda sad... but there are still a few developers who really kick some ass and they are doing pretty well thanks to true game lovers like you.

14. Drsponge

Drsponge Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Turn Around
    I'm glad we still have some original app developers. Yeah Gameloft makes some really visually appealing games, but they've all been done before. Developers like you are willing to take a risk, and I hope that continues in the app store. Can't wait for the next build.

15. ipadlips

ipadlips Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    iOS Developer
    New Zeland
    Finally i beat this game, all the 20 levels, i hope to see more in the future, its a really nice game, too funny. :D

16. danielang

danielang Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    I'm Daniel, I start playing games since I was 5 years old, until now i had played many different console games such as PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, NDS, Gameboy, Xbox, Wii and many more....i also playing many type of games, but the most game types that i playing is RPG, Sports, and Strategy.....If i can get the beta test of Save Toshi, i will give any feedbacks and idea to improve this game

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So uh... is this the kind of feedback you gave to the other 13 games listed in your sig?

18. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    so, I was finally able to get the build to install on my device. I don't know if there was something wrong with the build or if I simply didn't have enough room on my device, but whatever the case, it's there and it's AWESOME! I have to admit, it was pretty easy. Probably took me 15min to be all 20 levels with 3 stars, but it was fun while it lasted. It's probably one of the most unique and beautiful 3D puzzle games I've played yet. The game reminds me a little bit of a game called Laser Ball, of which I really liked the graphic style, but the gameplay was lacking something, idk what. But your game truly is amazing. The graphics are excellent, and the physics seem to be pretty much spot on. I really like the controls as well, it's simple, yet addictive. It's kinda like a 3D version of games like Tiki Totems, but with much more polish. My two concerns are a lack of a zooming capability. I really wanted to be able to zoom into the puzzle more to refine my aim, but I couldn't :( The other concern is the length of time it takes for the game to respond the click of a button. I have noticed this with most games built with the unity engine, and it concerns me a bit. Every time I click on a button and it doesn't respond right away, I get the feeling like it's going to crash or freeze up my ipod, which I don't like. I don't know if it can be helped, but it would add to the overall polish. Otherwise, all I really want from you guys is...THE REST OF THE LEVELS :D Great job Noam, can't wait for the rest!

19. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Take Care, Noam. :) Cannot wait to see the new build. :D

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    #80 Noam, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    This hardly counts as serious testing my friend. If you wanna stay in the loop, please use the guidelines I gave and give us some really valuable feedback.

OK, better late than nothing:) some interesting feedback here, but it's very hard to analyze. Please use the guidelines I gave earlier to rearrange your data so we can make sense out of it more easily, Thanks!

Welcome aboard Daniel! Just one question, do you also love playing physics puzzles?