The One and only Real iPhone Web Browser Roundup

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Menneisyys, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    UPDATE (11/28/2009 2:48 CET):

Just like with my Multiplayer Gaming Bible (see THIS), I’ve been working on a brand new, up-to-date, way more comprehensible version of the entire article.

So far, I’ve finished updating and heavily extending the new chart (it’s HERE; for comparison, the old one, dating back to June, is HERE). Most of its contents are final (there may be some changes I’ll do) and it also has the same dynamic column hiding mechanism I’ve first implemented in the chart of the Multiplayer Gaming Bible. That is, if you untick a checkbox at the top, the given column (here: they belong to browsers) will be completely hidden. ou will frequently want to do so as I've listed and compared some 19(!) Web browsers for the platform.

I will hopefully be able to publish the new version of the entire article this weekend. However, in the meantime, feel free to scrutinize (and comment on) the new chart. It has a LOT of new and great information.

2. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
  3. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    UPDATE (12/01/2009):

1. Some hours ago, I’ve posted an entire tutorial to adding scriplets. In addition, the new article has a lot of additional goodies:

- Find in page with the long-awaited Next functionality (!)
    - New versions of the lifeclever.com scriptlets deployable right on the iPhone, even in Safari
    - A complete report on all (scriptlet-capable) iPhone Web browsers’ compliance of handling purely Javascript (clickable) links (that is, ones that don’t start with http:// but with javascript: )
    - Another scriptlet that increases the distance between text rows (excellent for pages messed up by the earlier "make text bigger" scriptlet)

Please see THIS.

2. lately, the Oceanus Web browser (iTunes link) has received a lot of great features. While I still don’t consider it as good as iCab Mobile (the, in my opinion, currently best Web browser for the iPhone), it’s certainly getting closer, which is also reflected in my recently-rewritten chart. The just-released 3.1 version boasts the following (the second screenshot shows the 3.0 updates):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. pixyone

pixyone Member

Nov 19, 2009
    NYC
    Bottom line is that Flash needs to be implemented. If Safari could implement Flash and Java there would be no problems. Adding tabs would be nice also.

5. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    UPDATE (12/12/2009): before I publish the fully updated and rewritten Web browser bible, let me recommend another: I’ve just published a huge tutorial on utilizing multitabs to their full potential. Please see http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=712930

6. kdaddy

kdaddy Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Webbie Designer
    Seatle
    Can you make your browser to be able to use proxy/socks4/5 like it can be done in Mozilla and IE? sometimes want to hide our privacy but with the iphone it cant happen since we just cant change our IP. If you can make this.. It will be great, Pm me if you can even make it a beta for just me:).