The one and only REAL iPhone Instant Messenger roundup

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Menneisyys, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
  2. liuping

liuping New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I currently use IM+ and am mostly happy with it.

One of the things I wish they would change is the number of days is stays connected. It is limited to 3 currently, which is better than some which are limited to 25hours max, but not as long as I'd like.

With Push notification working, I want to use IM as a replacement for SMS, which means it needs to stay always "connected".

Do any of the other IM apps let you stay connected to AIM or any of the other service indefinitely?

3. outphase

outphase Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Beejive is currently limited to 24 hours. I find that I look at it at least once every 24 though, so it is not an issue for me.

4. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
  5. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    UPDATE (20/07/2009):

1. Fring has received OS3 Push support.

[​IMG]

It worked OK in my tests. Unlike Nimbuzz (see the 07/15/2009 update) and like all the other, Push-enabled apps, it displays a dialog showing who sent the message and also providing a way to quickly invoke Fring. Note that MSN voice calls to Windows Live 2009 still don’t work and landscape chatting isn't supported either.

Note that they also seem to have fixed the "Go to" icon issue - fring no longer crashes when you tap it. Great!

With this, fring has become a decent alternative - if you can live with its shortcomings.

2. There’s a new version of eBuddy with some improvements and bugfixes (nothing really groundbreaking):

[​IMG]

6. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    UPDATE (07/21/2009): Yahoo Messenger with support for Push out!

[​IMG]

7. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    UPDATE (08/17/2009):

Palringo Lite, with the brand new, 2.1 version, has received, among other things, Push support:

[​IMG]

In addition, the Premium version has been released for $5, with the following features:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ll try to post the updated chart covering the changes soon.

8. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    UPDATE (10/15/2009 12:09 CET): Both IM+ and fring have received major upgrades:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    UPDATE (11/05/2009 16:00 CET):

1. The free (!) eBuddy (current version: 3.2.1) has received a lot of goodies and bugfixes; now, it has become one of the most recommended IM titles (particularly taken the price into account):

[​IMG]

2. OneTeam with Push (current version: 3.2.1) has also received some bugfixes:

[​IMG]

Note that:

a. The price has been decreased to $6
    b. Many users complain about the program (for example, the, according to them, absolutely unreliable Push support); the average AppStore rating, as of now (with 85 ratings), is 2.5 for all versions (no sufficient reviews for the current one).

That is, you may want to think twice before paying for this app.

3. BeejiveIM, one of my favourite IM apps, has also just been updated to 3.1. The new features mostly concern group chats and showing multiple chats in one tab:

[​IMG]

10. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    I really appreciate the time and effort put into this roundup but I am having problems sorting through all the information. Could someone suggest an app from among those included in this thread for my 12 year old son who has a touch and would basically like an app which fairly closely replicates the one you get with an iphone. He is not a heavy texter if that helps. So far I have not been all that impressed with the free versions we have tried and have no problem paying for an app that comes close to the iphone version including good push notifications.