The Old Farts discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by TrueBlou, Jan 14, 2016.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    There is a game out for PS4 called Bloodborne that is essentially a twitch FPS. When people complain about the difficulty, the standard answer comes back " practice and git gud" - like people can improve their reflexes.

I used to be able to keep up, I no longer can, so I essentially only play solo and offline where i can enjoy going slow, or finding cheats so I can get through.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Perfect Dark was the best for me. The fact that some levels changed completely according to the difficulty played was amazing.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I got murdered by Perfect Dark. Loved the game, but was never able to git gud.

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Ha! Been getting them for 5 years now! Get the magazine and everything. Very informative, I must say! Card comes in real handy when we go to the movies especially! Saves me almost seven bucks for two tickets. The thing is--I don't look my age! My wife looks younger than I do, so I've been called on it a few times! Man, you'd think the girl at the window owns the place or something telling me to show my ID! I'm over 55 but not 65! Told the wife to never get in line with me when buying tix, 'cause that's when I usually get carded! Geez, you struggle to get by to prove you're 18 or 21 as the case may be when you're younger, then think you're good to go! All of the sudden you find you're getting old then you gotta prove THAT too! Who knew?! LOL!! #

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Same here, my wife is ten years younger (I'm 50) and she's chinese so she really looks in her 30's. My hair is greying but not thinning. I usually ask for discounts when traveling but I didn't know it worked at theaters. Maybe I need a real card. :D

6. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, what the hay! Gonna give 'em to ya, might as well take 'em and use 'em!
    You know--you live and learn! All my life I've lived by the axiom hard work is the way to success! Now that I've got some wisdom behind me, I look at things as--It's not how hard you work! It's how hard you work the system!!!! :D That's the ticket!! Anyway, that's what I do! #

7. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland

That's probably very true, the tricky bit is finding out how to work the system. Guess I've not reached the ripe old age of being able to do that yet because everything is still constant hard work with bugger all return. Course in my line of work it'd help if I was actually any good at it :p ah well, practice makes perfect as they say.

Nearly six years of making apps and the most popular idea I've had was making this thread :D

8. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Maybe I got a head start 'cause I worked for the news for almost 35 years. That and becoming the old fart that I am helped a lot! #

9. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Your games are really popular--with me, at least! :)

10. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I am an AARP member.

11. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Me, too. Lots of good discounts, and I enjoy their magazine.

12. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Me too! Man, only old farts would talk like this.... # LOL!
    PLEASE!!! Let's not talk about and start comparing our prescriptions! That's the WORST!!!#

13. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

Aw shucks, thank you, I wish there were (lots) more like you.

I don't really mind that I've not found legions of fans and made my millions :rolleyes: I make my apps to keep me occupied because I'm disabled and no bugger will employ me. So I just make things to suit myself and if anyone comes along for the ride with me, all the better. I'm always learning, so who knows what the future holds, this time next year I could even expand to two fans :D

14. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Ha ha!! OK, I agree, no prescription talk! :D:D:D

15. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I'm pretty sure there are way more than 2 fans of the excellent Perfection games!!

16. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    I wouldn't be so sure :D

17. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Cannot believe you just name dropped StarCastle. A coin-op classic!!! Must be a 'seasoned' gamer like me. Lol

18. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    lol. Yup I'm an old timer. Started with a 2600 for xmas and never looked back. I grew up when arcades were popular. We had a Supercade in town back in the 80's and I used to steal moms change #. I was there every day. That's when I fell in love with star castle....and every other vector type game. I even own a vectrex with 80 games. I owned the Star Wars arcade game but sold it when I got married. Hmmmm. Don't ask me to choose now. Lol jk. I do wish we could get a SW port.

19. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/26/2976976/star-castle-atari-2600-port-kickstarter

Lol what?

20. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Oh man, you've just depicted my entire gaming childhood. I've had every system since the 2600. The First Nintendo xmas was huge, Punchout, Metroid and a few other epic notables. Seems we were born in the glory days of gaming. As I'm 43, that puts me in the gaming goldielocks zone. Man, the 80's such formidable gaming years and we too had a great arcade in my local mall as well. Lol at stealing mom's quarters, me too. Damn the memories. Musta played a million games of Tecmo Bowl. Nice walk down memory lane! Cheers man. The 80's American childhood, unrivaled!