The Old Farts discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by TrueBlou, Jan 14, 2016.

1. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I'm 45 so we're children of the same generation :). The jersey shore had the best Boardwalk arcade ever. My mom would have to drag me to the beach

I too owned everything. The 3do, atari Lynx, tg16 etc. I loved my colecovision. Zaxxon!!

My favorite is tempest on the jaguar. I got a custom spinner controller. Oh my just like the arcade. I still play it weekly.

Getting old sucks but my childhood memories make it all worth it. I do miss those days #

2. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Yep wouldn't trade them for anything. Lmao, Colecovision zaxxon, one of my all time favs! Mr Do!

3. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    I feel like a child. I'm 21

4. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Correct. #

5. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland

Ach, you've no even begun to live yet :p

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    So a question to the 40 and up crowd here. If you could take your current mind with all your memories intact and return it to your 18 year old body, would you do it?

7. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    If I could remember the lottery numbers, sure :D

But I had a blast first time round so I doubt I'd do anything much different anyway.

8. Warmskin

Warmskin Active Member

Jun 20, 2015
    #188 Warmskin, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Well, when you get really 'up there' (or is it 'up HERE'?) like me (66) you'll have ***All The Time In The World*** to play anything you want, as much as you want. I haven't worked in some time time and I'm loving it! Remember, people who say that they'd be bored if they didn't work, are very BORING people... But, that's been said before, so you probably know that. ��
    Now - there is always time for something (or anything).
    ☮❤️

9. Warmskin

Warmskin Active Member

Jun 20, 2015
  10. Warmskin

Warmskin Active Member

Jun 20, 2015
    When you're older you'll realize what an easy question that is to answer... Of Course!!
    Just ask your Dad. ��☮☯❤️✌��️��

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    You are the only person that I belive is older than I am on these forums. Congrats.

12. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Guessing probably I could fill a 3rd slot being 2 years shy of 60. (unless there be lurkers just not wanting to comment)

And to respond to Cyg's post earlier. I don't think I'd change anything either and would not drop my almost 60 yr old mind in a younger body. I'd probably go stark raving mad. (:)p))

13. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    43 and been gaming since 1983 (Commodore 64). Currently only really play on Ios and PS Vita but enjoy both.

Doing the London Marathon on Sunday so really looking forward to that!!

14. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

I've not been around for a while, buried in work, so this is a bit belated.

Hope it went for you on marathon day.

15. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

Oh dear, I must be one of them then. Slightly different maybe, I'm a bit disabled and choose to work mainly because I discovered I love making apps and it keeps me occupied. I'm crap at it but that's beside the point :D

16. V for Viennetta

V for Viennetta Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 9, 2013
    Male
    near the door
    So glad this thread exists. I'm 46 & have been regularly reading reviews here for a couple of years or so.

We had ZX Spectrums throughout my teens, but I was more into the challenge of creating art with such a limited machine, or redesigning it's character set, than playing games on it. Many of the ZXS games were clunky disappointments in all honesty, but I guess that's to be expected on a machine literally a million times less powerful than my current iPad.

What do people think of the AppStore? I know it's far from perfect & there's a load of terrible dross in its murky depths, but the amount of well designed, high quality apps & games available for nothing, or just a few pounds, is mind blowing compared to how software was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have to agree with your last paragraph. I got an iphone 3 GS In the summer of 2009. I did not think I would like it. It was a Fathers day surprize. I have been hooked ever since. I still love the consoles, I play Vita and 3DS, but iOS is probably my biggest time draw since it is so convenient

18. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    I'm 48 and in a wheelchair or stuck on the couch.
    I play on Vita, 3DS, 360, PS3, PS4, X1, Wii, WiiU, PC, ios, (on iPad), Android, (on Galaxy Note 4), and VR on Vive.
    I also bought and repaired a buttload of old arcade machines about 20 years ago as well as pinball and pachinko machines. Had to give up on the pins and arcade machines due to health issues and size restrictions.
    I still have everything but the arcade machines and only kept one pinball machine.
    Started gaming in the 70s and never totally quit.

19. finndc

finndc Well-Known Member

32 years old here. Amstrad CPC 464 veteran :)

It's pretty remarkable really. I bought my iPad to make music after hearing about Garageband getting more and more powerful. Absolutely didn't expect to get so into the games but there's so much ace, moreish, and often quite deep stuff that I've put in way more gaming hours than music making hours over the last few years.

Wondering now if that qualifies as being quite a significant waste of time, but it doesn't feel like it :)

20. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    It'z a New Year & i'm still a young @❤️ Old Fart
    Yeeeeeeeah!#