The Official RPG Reload Play-Along Thread: Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Jan 5, 2017.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    If you're using the app, you can't attach screenshots. You have to go to the website.

2. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos

3. crawfordmatt80

crawfordmatt80 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Web Designer
    Texas
    Joining the Fight

Shaun, great idea!

I downloaded the game just now and rolled for my team. I rolled a Warrior, Black Mage, and two White Mages. This should be interesting.

Meet the Team:

Aries (Warrior) - A courageous young man that is always rushing into challenges without fear but more importantly without thinking of the consequences. He is loyal to the group and would die protecting them on their journey.

Taurn (Black Mage) - The level-headed and calculating member of the troupe. His knowledge of the natural world is second to none which has allowed him to the ability to master the elements. He advises the group and encourages them to reach their full potential.

Gemma & Mina (White Mages) - Twin sisters that love a good laugh. They are fun-loving and energetic and always on the lookout for an adventure. In dire times they are the ones that will keep the team's spirits up.

[​IMG]

4. Jacob Tapp

Jacob Tapp New Member

Jan 6, 2017
    First Time

Never played the original FF and this sounds like a lot of fun. Introducing my party! Wish us best.

Attached Files:

5. mdhughes

mdhughes New Member

OK, I did this on the original NES, and again on PSX. I've had the iOS apps but never played long in FF1 or 2 (FF3 & 4 I can play forever).

So, Thief, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage. 2 things matter in party composition: Spell choices, and damage. Tanking's not that useful, WMG can cast heals & protect all day. But there are more spells/level than just 2 casters can learn.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'm envious of the people with Cure magic, haha.

7. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'm already well behind Dailon (you're a machine!), but I figured I'd update with what little I've done today so far.

When we last left the TouchArcade Light Warriors, they had just gotten suited up and told to go save a Princess from some dude named Garland. The bum's been living rent-free in a swanky old place up north called the Chaos Shrine or something. We put in a little training time first to make sure everyone was fit, bought some potions, and headed out.
    [​IMG]

Alright, let's evict this guy and get the Princess back in time for dinner.

[​IMG]

Garland talks a big show, but in this version of the game, he's a real pushover.

[​IMG]

Carter puts him to sleep with some stories about baseball, Eric lights him up, and Shaun and Andy take turns whacking him with brooms until he gets knocked down.

[​IMG]

See? Easy-peasy.

[​IMG]

When we get back to the palace, the Princess gives us a weird guitar and her dad builds a bridge to fulfill some sort of prophecy. Not sure why we couldn't just swim or build a boat, but there you have it.

[​IMG]

These guys have been lazing around waiting for the King to give the order, I guess.

[​IMG]

Yeah, see? I'm not the only one!

[​IMG]

This is technically the start of the journey.

[​IMG]

And here's our party as of right now. Carter is falling behind badly in MP but otherwise is fine. He's got Sleep, Fire, and Thunder. Eric has Focus, Fire, and Thunder. We've got almost no Gil to our names because we spent it all on potions and antidotes, along with a couple of sleeping bags for the mages. But Shaun has officially cast aside his nunchucks and is now all about punching monsters until they explode, so we'll get some savings there.

8. Threeli

Threeli New Member

Jan 6, 2017
    This is actually such a cool idea, that after being a lurker for a great number of years, I've finally been inclined to create an account. Good stuff.

9. CzarBrain

CzarBrain Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Here's my team. This should be fun.

Attached Files:

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What a cool idea! Though, regarding the thread title, I feel the need to point out that's it's actually 2017.

I'm not sure what to do for a party. I've played pretty much every possible arrangement except for the crazy ones. I've even done all red mages. Maybe I'll try the dice technique.

11. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Oh Shaun, Shaun, why do you do this to me?
    You do realise there was a heap of games on sale just recently and my game list is now beyond any thing that one could reasonably be expected to be completed in ones lifespan and you expect me to install yet another game?!

Ugh, life is so unkind.

12. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hahahhahha oh man I didn't notice the year until you mentioned it. Wowwww. Okay, I'll get a mod to change that, haha.

13. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Square Enix executive: How weird - there seems have been a spike in Final Fantasy 1 sales all of a sudden. Is there something we should know?

OK - I've given in. I've redownloaded, fired up a dice roller on Google, and ended up with 6, 5, 2 and 2.

Two thieves? Not sure what I did to deserve that, but at least I got a white and black mage. Never played with a white mage or thieves before...

Meet Locke, Jean, Sabeta and Falcon. Not natural bedfellows, but hopefully they can overcome their differences. And yes, I'm reading a Scott Lynch novel at the moment...

14. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Dang it Shaun, I am actually doing a play through of FF II. I just completed FF I last month. Would you happen to know how long FF II is? I know both I and II are shorter and you already commented that FF I is 15 hours. Thanks

Rob

PS - I'll still be following this thread. Great idea!!!

15. uberdan101

uberdan101 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Ohhhhhhhhhh. I'll do that this afternoon with the party and an update to where they are. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

16. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    My last clear time was 20:10 but I was seriously taking my time on that run. 15-18 hours is probably more realistic.

17. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Sure, I'll join. I am in the middle of Exist Archive on the Vita, but this will give me something to play one handed while I'm up with my baby daughter at night. I'm using the Portal version since I was in on Triple Triad right away.

I rolled 4d6 and got 1, 1, 1, 5. This won't be particularly difficult...

We fought to level 3, whooped Garland, crossed the bridge, whooped the pirates and bought new stuff, sailed off to Elfheim, picked up the crown, and unceremoniously dispensed with Astos. Attached screen is from just before that boss battle. So far, the only character incapacitated was my white mage, when Astos opened with Death. Otherwise, this has been a romp. I don't remember leveling being this easy. Have XP values been adjusted for mobile?

It's been so long since I've played FF1 that I can't remember: is the inability to use magic outside of battle a bug or a feature? I don't seem to be able to use Cure in the field.

I haven't forgotten my old favorite leveling trick, though. Currently, we are grinding a bit northeast of Pravoka, on that nifty peninsula where you can fight stuff from the northern continent. I even picked up a free Ice Shield and gave it to my poor Fighter whose HP rolls have put him closer to the White Mage for HP than he is to his fellow Fighters.

Attached Files:

18. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The difficulty got nerfed from the GBA version onward. It wasn't always this easy, as you probably know. You should be able to use your healing magic in the field. Not sure what's going on there. Anyone else having that problem?

19. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Just tested it. Both my red and white mages are able to use Cure on the world map.

20. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I tried going to the Magic menu again and the app froze. Rebooted Portal app and it's working as intended now. Portal version appears to be a little unstable at times. Not sure if that's an iPod touch problem or a problem with it being a nested app.