The Official RPG Reload Play-Along Thread: Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Jan 5, 2017.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I don't think you'd have to start over but you'll have to do some grinding to develop the skills you want to improve.
    Seems like that would take less time than starting over.

I decided to go solo again and I'll probably regret it later in the game but so far it's been surprisingly easy. I think the leveling system lends itself to solo runs. It's easier to just focus on developing one character rather than four. The best thing is that one character takes all the hits so defense and evasion level up a lot faster. I've just finished with the wyvern egg (about 8 hours in) and I rarely get hit at all unless it's a very high level monster or boss. Also, that one character does all the attacking too so everything just levels so much faster. Plus, I'm not restricted by class like FF1 so I can use whatever magic, weapon and armor I want.

Granted I haven't fought a real boss yet and that's what I'm worried about. I'll know more after I do.

Here's a look at my stats so far.

Attached Files:

2. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Yeah this seems like a great game to go solo on. Literally nothing is stopping you from becoming an all around monster fairly early if you are willing to grind. There isn't a lot to spend money on so all that extra cash can go towards items.

The one downside to going alone is you can't attack your team mates for free leveling bonuses, but with all the extra monster hunting you should be fine.

3. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm in the belly of the beast. Everything's still going pretty smooth. I've found that Teleport is a very powerful spell. I've one shoted every boss with it so far. I'm headed to Mysidia Tower now.

Attached Files:

4. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Still plugging along. Just tackled the Cyclone Tower and defeated the Emperor. I'm still dodging all physical attacks with my high evasion but I'm starting to take some magic damage. Flare 10 did about 500 damage and that concerns me. I guess I need to start leveling up Wall. I finally have my airship so that's helpful.

5. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #445 RHess00, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Well it's over. As far as boss fights go, it was very anticlimactic. By the time I got to the Emperor, my sword level was 14 and my evasion was 14-99%. I knew he was going to use a lot of magic so I leveled Osmose to 6. I only had to cast it twice and he was out of MP. My evasion was so high, he never hit me with a physical attack so it was over pretty quick. Going solo in this game is like easy mode and I only had to grind a little in the beginning to raise my MP and at the end for Osmose, Berzerk, and Haste. Could have done without Berzerk and Haste.

Attached Files:

6. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    That is so weird! Shows how broken FFII is if it's actually easier playing solo. I do mean to give it another shot some day, but it's fairly low down the list of priorities. Nice work, RHess!

7. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah it really is broken. The evasion stat needs to be capped and Osmose should be severely nerfed. It's pretty ridiculous that a level 6 spell can completely disable a final boss's magic. I think that will be my last time playing FF2.

8. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Good job! I'm not terribly surprised that FFII was easier to do solo. Maybe that's my next run on that game.

9. Rabendoppel

Rabendoppel Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Still FF1: Is there an end in sight?

The greatest collection of orienteering buffs you could imagine is back from its extended holiday on a desert island, a.k.a. Hellfire Chasm B8. At the beginning, they only missed the camp site. But they felt safe, with the exit in plain sight. Until they noticed this was kind of Hotel California - they could run and sail round in circles as much as they liked, but there was no way to leave. Just tedious, as time went by infuriating, petty fights with inferior enemies. And still no exit. It added up to a level or two, but enervating nonetheless. And no way out. Until they finally wanted to find something hard to hit their head against in frustration... :mad:

Yes, surprisingly, that worked, they made it out! And even got a new sword that no one wants. They discovered once again, that the most time consuming bits of this game are strictly speaking not necessary to succeed. I bet you can get to the hall of promotions without getting your feet cooked.

After being promoted, they finally found the landing space for Lufenia, and discovered they had not taken the complete tour of the Sunken Shrine. I guess being too greedy never pays :) Once they had their little present for Dr Unne, everything else was fairly easy again. The usual one step leads to the next, and never jump the gun because you think you know where you are going. The reward was the fourth crystal:

IMG_0074.jpg IMG_0075.jpg

Now the group of adventures is hyping up for the great show-down. I have a better idea of what remains to be done than before the last crystal. Let's see whether that plays out - I have been surprised before ;)

10. Rabendoppel

Rabendoppel Member

Jan 16, 2017
    FF1: The feat is done!

For once, everything went nearly as smooth as expected. :)

IMG_0077.jpg IMG_0078.jpg

Just that it took me a couple of tries to realize that this time "the more, the better" really does count for something. Good job the group was never stingy when shopping ;)

Keeping in mind I only started half way through, it has taken me a week longer than it should have by design of this play-along. Taking extended holidays in the desert and on an island certainly do not help when trying to meet deadlines.

Overall it has been fun. Only occasionally did I get fed up with the tedious fights with lower creatures and no experience to be gained, when I was just trying to find my way. But I guess that is part of the smoke screen which makes the game fun. If it were not for all those fights, it would be far too easy to keep your bearings :D

What helped in the end was the knowledge that you can succeed with just one monk. That screams "simple", when otherwise you might be tempted to go out for the magic bonanza to succeed.

11. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Congrats Rabendoppel!