The Official RPG Reload Play-Along Thread: Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hello, gentle readers, and welcome to the latest addition to the growing RPG Reload family, the RPG Reload Play-Along. Each month, we'll be playing an iOS RPG together, sharing laughs and tears in equal measures. The post on the front page is basically there to announce the game in question and give a few tips on getting started. The real action will be happening here in the Touch Arcade forums, where you'll find a thread dedicated to each month's featured game. Sign up if you haven't already, post your screenshots, ask for advice, or just chat about your misadventures with others. We've got a great community of RPG fans here at TouchArcade, so let's make the most of it! As a little incentive, at the end of each month, I will randomly pick one of the participants and send them something small and silly from here in Japan. All you have to do to be eligible is, well, play along with the Play-Along!

[​IMG]

I figured to get things started, we'd pick something on the short and relatively easy side, but with plenty of customization to make for a variety of potential stories to share. Final Fantasy is one of my more frequently replayed RPGs for those very reasons, so that's how we're kicking things off. First off, you'll obviously need the game. You can grab the stand-alone, the version available through the Final Fantasy Portal, or whatever other means you have available. Just make sure you can take screenshots! After you've got the game, either log in or sign up for the TouchArcade Forums and head on over here to say hello. Oh, and remember that if you want to be eligible to have me send you something small and silly, I'm going to need to send it somewhere, so if you live on the moon or something, please say so.

[​IMG]

So, Final Fantasy. This is the one that started it all, setting the struggling Square on the path to becoming one of the giants of the genre. If you started with a later installment in the series, this game is probably barely recognizable to you as part of the same franchise, but it does set down a lot of the basic elements that are still around today. In its original form, this was a very tough game, but from the Game Boy Advance version onwards, it has had its difficulty nerfed to the point that most players should be able to get through it without too much trouble. That means anyone looking for a challenge is going to have to make it themselves. Luckily, the fact that you have control over your party composition helps with that. Which four jobs you opt to take along with you greatly determines how your game will go, so I'm going to focus most of my advice on party builds.

Now, if you like to live dangerously like I do, you can set your party through the following method. Find four six-sided dice, or their equivalent therein, and roll those dice. You now have your party. One corresponds to Warrior, two to Thief, three to Monk, four to Red Mage, five to White Mage, and six to Black Mage. You have to have a little courage to do this, but don't worry, there is no such thing as an unworkable party in the mobile version of the game. Dare to believe you can survive. If you don't want to trust Lady Luck, however, the front page post will have breakdowns of each job and some good or interesting party combinations.

[​IMG]

As for me, my extremely scientific method has resulted in a three, six, one, and six. So, uh, I guess I'll be stocking up on those healing potions right about now. You can follow my exploits here in the January RPG Reload Play-Along thread, or watch for sporadic updates on Twitter at @RPGReload. Good luck, everyone!

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Great idea, Shaun! It is like a book club of sorts.

If only I had more time available... :(

I am gonna try, though.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    This is great and to top it off
    Last night after being sad about mega man I started a new save on final fantasy I had been thinking about it last couple days so I'm happy to join in

4. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    My starting party
    This is the one where we get to name the heroes :)
    My monk is Bruce for Bruce Lee ha
    And had to include Vivi as black mage
    Starting magic also is where you can differ
    For red mage I started with fire sleep cure
    Black mage fire thunder focus

Attached Files:

5. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Awesome! Yeah, it would be great if everyone posted a screenshot of their starting party to kick things off.

6. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I like to start by grinding up to level 5 and then heading to chaos shrine
    Made for easy work, really easy
    Grind now grind later either way it's a must at some point ha

7. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm going to give this a shot. I don't always have a lot of time to play so I hope I can keep up. I rolled 1,1,4,6. Not too bad. I've always used a team of warrior, monk, white mage, black mage so this will be interesting for me.

8. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I'm not sure I can bring myself to grind though FF again. But I almost want to do it just so I can roll the dice on my starting party. I played through to the end with warrior, monk, red mage and black mage the first time round.

9. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #9 Dailon80, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    I will admit I'm gonna be referring to a walk through when needed just simply to save time
    I'm almost an hour in

they really did a decent job with this port and the graphics are fine for the age it is and all
    controls can be wonky in overworld but ts made up for with the great battle menu and layout which makes it super easy to do what you need

10. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've never used the red mage before. Is it normal to only have 38 hp at level 5? My black mage has 74 hp.

11. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Haha, that can happen if you're unlucky. Hang in there, he might turn around!

12. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #12 Dailon80, Jan 5, 2017
    2 hours in and this is where I stand
    Red Mage is looking good at this point
    Hang in there with him
    I like to equip my red mage to be a decent attacker and then use a lot of white magic since I don't have the white mage basically I use him over white mage and the benefit is he's a better attacker
    Noice his hit points are better than monk and black mage right now

Attached Files:

13. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #13 Dailon80, Jan 5, 2017
    RHess00,
    Here is a couple pics to show my red mage up closer
    I'm about to upgrade his armor
    Right now I'm upgrading equipment and preparing to fight the pirates and get my ship

Attached Files:

14. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
  15. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks guys. He's up to 62 hp at level 7 so I think he'll be ok. I was just surprised he was so far behind.

16. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    how is he equipped? weapons magic etc

17. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Currently, a Broadsword and Chain mail with Cure, Protect, and Fire.

18. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I just reached Elfheim
    Yay :) got the ship

19. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I just got there too. I'm hunting Ogres so I can buy all the equipment and spells now. Well not the level 4 spells. They're a little out of my budget right now.

My Red Mage is still laughable. 68 hp at level 9!

20. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    That's odd mine is 159 at level 10 :)