The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Heck yeah! Someone posted on Reddit about their Cactuar tattoo and getting it redone. The new version looks beautiful.

2. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    It's a tradition by now. Wouldn't be right if you weren't overpowered ;)

I have been having the same with Romancing SaGa2. Love that game ridiculously much. Also loving Xenoblade and catching up on old game boy platformers. 40 hours into RomSaGa2 and not done!

3. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I finished up Xenoblade 2 today. Not sure what to move on to next (Etrian Odyssey V, probably? I want to wait on Ys VIII until the translation patch is done). XBC 2 was good, but I was disappointed in how long it took me to actually learn how to play the game. The tutorials are non-reviewable, and I was so overleveled from doing sidequests that I never needed to use chain attacks or elemental orb bursts until very, very late in the game, 40-50 hours after I was taught to do them. I ended up having to read up on how to effectively play the game when I had less than 5 hours left in my 75 hour playtime. That... seems like poor design. At least make the tutorials reviewable if you're not going to force people to learn the system by repetition, team.

All in all, though, I did enjoy my time with the game. I kept having to reframe my opinion of the game because I eventually realized there was no way it would ever live up to how good XBC1 was.

4. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I want to say its close to 69 hours SaGa2 right?
    I need to dust it off I love that game it really is awesome further you get better it seems to get especially in the early goings

5. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Definitely! It required tons of research and the more you research the more fun it is. It also gives an oldschool feeling because people are streaming it and discussing on twitter and helping each other, it's like before walkthroughs could be found anywhere since there isn't any that is complete. There's a very good walkthrough on gamefaqs, but even that doesn't mention everything.

6. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Congrats! I'm 20 hours in almost and loving it. Never played the first and only chapter 3, but loving just filling out affinity boards and I love how you can see everythig fills out. Love the menus, they are so apoealing. But I don't understand all about the combat yet.

7. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, Winter. Glad you're enjoying Xenoblade 2 as well. I had fun filling up a couple of affinity charts, and they actually give you good rewards for doing so - items that boost your WP so you can quickly level up attack skills. Near the end of the game when I had trouble with a couple of fights, I spent a lot of WP boosts on my healer character so I could dramatically lower the recharge time on all her area healing skills.

I'll also echo that the above was my experience with XBC2. There isn't much in the way of FAQs or walkthroughs yet outside of some scattered Youtube videos, so I had to hit up a couple of my friends for their thoughts when I got stuck about 75% of the way through the game. Shockingly, I ended up finishing XBC2 before all but one of my friends/Twitter follows, despite the fact that it took me 6 weeks and 75 hours.

If anyone here ends up playing XBC2 and needs some tips/tricks or has trouble with a particular quest, let me know and I'll try to help. I didn't do everything, obviously, since my playtime looks like it's on the low side for folks who've completed the game, but I did a lot of sidequests and building of field skills.

8. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    FFVII last couple days
    I got chocobuckle right outside the Chocobo farm early in the world map section so stoked took me about 30 tries since they wanted to run away so fast
    One big help was moving the right greens to the top of my item menu so I could get to it faster

9. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Pretty far into VII now and taking a break to watch the FF VII advent children movie and will pick up tomorrow
    The Materia is getting a little more complicated the more I acquire, any tips?
    I did get Yuffie right after the mines like her a lot and have wind slash for her just defeated Jenova-Birth and landed in costa del sol
    Thanks for tips
    I’m basically playing all my final fantasy games this month I guess ha it’s all in anticipation of XV PE :)

10. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011

Thank you ^^ Sounds very good to get somwthing that boosts WP! I find it very enjoyable to just move around the beautiful world, just grinding some affinity and WP, doing sidequests, salvaging and collecting. It might end up among my five favorite rpg's. It's actually very likely.

11. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm starting Secret of Mana today in anticipation of the remake. I also want to play some Final Fantasy soon though! Played some Dragon Quest V yesterday though #

12. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    The Secret of Mana remake is gonna be so freaking awesome! I don't think I have any of the platforms it's coming out on though :( but this will be the game that makes me change that
    i am either getting a Vita or upgrading my PC for it but probably Vita since i have always wanted one
    I have the following consoles and it's on none of them: Sega Genesis, PS2, PS3, DS, 3DS, Wii, WiiU and yeah not on any of them sheesh ha I so regret the XBOX One as I should have got a PS4 instead :(
    I still have my FFVII,VIII,IX,X, and X-2 playstation discs too :) I play them some but it's sort of dated too and my mobile versions are better except for VIII but I have it on steam and it's nice!

13. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I love my Vita. But, once you have a Vita, you'll probably want to sell the Xbox and get a PS4 for cheap. Remote play has changed gaming for me. Plus, having cross-save between PS4 and Vita is great for the games that support it, like World of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest Builders. I just hope we get a new, better-resolution Vita eventually, even if it is digital only. I'm excited for you, though. It took me a while, but I found a perfectly-cared-for Vita Slim with a case, charger, and hand grip on eBay. Hope you get a good one!

14. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Didn’t realize that, way cool
    I want DQ Builders bad too
    How is it?

15. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Progress :)

Attached Files:

16. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Just picked up Vincent
    Now I’m gonna try out some Materia combinations for him to see what works best
    Only thing I’m not crazy about is his limit break
    I love Cait Sith’s Limit

17. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I think you will love the Vita Dailon! Honestly I can't recommend it enough. It's a jrpg machine. I have Final Fantasy I-X and X-2. FF Tactics, Vagrant Story. Trails of Cold Steel I and II. Suikoden I and II. Persona games. Different PSone rpg's. Romancing Saga2. Sega Mega Drive Collection with Phantasy Star II-IV. And tons more!

18. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Vita is one of the few hand held systems I’d consider that isn’t an iPhone.

Well, that and the rumored Anniversary Edition gameboy. Depending on what that has it could also be an rpg machine.

I’m going slow in DQIV. Still in chapter IV. Lots going on at work.

19. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    For those times when I can't have enough hands or space available for playing Etrian Odyssey V, I've started in on Cat Quest on my iPod Touch 5. I was pleasantly surprised to see it would run on my Touch 5 - figured most new things at least required iOS 9 and more processor speed than I could manage, but it's running just fine in iOS 8.3. Up to around level 20, no idea how far I am in the plot because I keep getting sidetracked by the nice little bite-sized sidequests.

20. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Finally polished off FF Tactics at the weekend. A good 80hrs that included some highly enjoyable delevelling for speed boosts. By the time I reached the end, I realised how utterly needless it was as battles were polished off within a couple of rounds (less if I brought my two mathemagicians). What a great game, though. And a cool ending too.

Going to play Layton's Mystery Journey next for a change of pace on iOS (insane production values for this platform), then it'll be DQIV after that. Also need to properly get into Xenoblade 2, as I've barely started it so far. Good to hear everyone else has good impressions though.