The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Monster Hunter World is gonna be epic I may preorder it later this week, it drops the day after my birthday too!

2. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I got Switch for Christmas so I am diving into Zelda! Also have been playing even more RomSaGa and loving it more and more. I would say go with the Switch version. There's a lot of managing in it and it's easier with buttons. While something like the DQ games up to VI are perfect for iOS.
    I have also been enjoying Pokemon Sun :)

3. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Welp, just finished Dragon Quest III and with it my replay of the Erdrick trilogy. I’ve never played them back to back like this and I have to say I’m amazed at how well they fit together.

The one down side is my app crashed after beating Zoma. Grrrrr. I watched the ending on YouTube but it kinda stole my thunder. Oh well. I’ve beat DQIII before so not a big deal.

Overall I really liked the Erdrick trilogy and it was fun to replay it. Even DQ II.

I’m starting Dragon Quest IV next and the Zenithian Trilogy. I’ve never played any of this trilogy and I’ve heard good stuff about it.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    You're in for a treat!

5. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    I’m looking forward to IV especially. I remember it coming out in the US but never playing it because high school me thought the chapter structure sounded weird. But adult me? Totally into that idea.

I’ve gone back and beat Zoma without an app crash so I’m going to beat the Sky World bonus dungeon in III before I move on. The idea you can save Ortega really appeals to me as I always found III’s ending a bit bittersweet.

6. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    You inspired me! Squenix has put DQIV on sale, so I've snapped it up to complete my IV-VI trilogy. Now, I just need to knock FF Tactics on the head, and I might get on to DQIV. I also really like the sound of the chapter structure.

7. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Awesome. I’ll probably start it Monday if not Sunday. After grinding I’ve beat the great dragon and restored Ortega to life. That was heartwarming. I’ll probably take a day off and then move on.

So do we have any clues about January’s play along? I skipped this month’s one but I might be up for January and some good RPG’s were on sale this Christmas.

8. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Congrats on beating Dragon Quest trilogy!

9. DarkAdamm

DarkAdamm Member

Sep 6, 2014
    I am almost complete with Bravely Default on 3DS. I purchased Dragon Quest IV, V and VI over the holiday with itune gift cards to play next. I will be playing them on an ipad. Are they playable on that large of a screen?

I complete IV along time ago on NES but I think if would be worth playing again.

10. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Do you think Shaun would take a request for a Dragon Quest IV rpg playalong?

11. DarkAdamm

DarkAdamm Member

Sep 6, 2014
    I don't know. I would play if he did.

12. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Seems like a good idea to me! Feel free to get started, I'll post the thread later today if I have time.

13. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    I had a lot busier two days than expected. I’ve currently beat the...prologue. But I’ll move on in DQ IV tonight hopefully.

14. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Chapter one is done. Healie is pretty cool. Glad party chat is available in this version.

One weird thing: the graphics are strange. Walls don’t seem straight. It took me awhile to catch on to the fact the camera can rotate so maybe that will help some.

15. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I hope you all enjoy IV!! I liked it a lot. I'm usually not fan of chapter system, but I played it last year and it was really good!

16. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I like Dragon Quest IV, and I would consider popping in on a Replay, but I'm about 50 hours deep into Xenoblade 2 and I really don't want to get distracted right now. I really enjoyed both DQ4 and DQ5 (slight preference for 5)... 6 not as much. I felt like 6 was way too easy to get stuck in - it was very linear, but the map design often made it difficult to discern what places were actually accessible.

17. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Thanks for the RPG reload memories Shaun. They will be missed. When I sit down to play a classic RPG I always look for three things:

1. It’s TVTropes page.
    2. It’s StrategyWiki page.
    3. It’s RPG Reload page.

A lot of older RPG’s desperately need the context that the Reload has provided if you want to understand the game. So many RPG’s fall into the “Seinfield is unfunny” trope mentioned in TVTropes. The RPG reloads have really helped illuminate how ground breaking a lot of the classic RPG’s were. It’s been a valuable resource and I’ll miss new features.

18. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Thanks for the memories, Shaun! RPG Reload has helped carry the mantle of video game journalism that is not just intelligent but actually scholarly. Thanks for that.

This micro-community here, however, I'm hoping is going to continue to flourish! There's really no other place to discuss RPGs with such an interesting group of people. And if Shaun also stops by sometimes to provide a magisterial remark or two... :)

19. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I truly hope so too! This is a unique place for rpg lovers! And also hope there will be more play-alongs!

It's been a crazy journey and tons of rpg goodness. Thanks a lot Shaun, you are a great writer and I think honestly maybe no one matches you when it comes to rpg's. I will conrinue to look forward to your patreon articles!

20. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Been on FFIV lately

Attached Files: