The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    For me no matter how good a game it may be, a rogue like simply isn't a RPG and perhaps that's why it hasn't resonated with people as much as your other reviews.

I spent quite a bit of time idly wondering what constituted a RPG. For me it's the emotional involvement in a characters progression. I need to feel that I choose the path of a character and watch them develop over time. Combine this with some form of narrative and structure of a story. Together that's engrossing.

That's why a rogue like can never work for me as a RPG as no what the trappings of the game it never allows for true identification as you know the character will die. The point of the game may be to beat it but in an arcade fashion.

10000000 is a fantastic game with RPG lite elements and a rogue like structure but I could never consider it a true RPG.

Puzzle quest is probably my most played IOS game over the years and although you could look on the surface and consider it simply a match 3 game it actually has a great story, true character development, classes, player choice etc. I would consider it a genuine RPG.

Got off the point somewhere! Just my twopennoth on why Sword of far goal may not have resonated with people.

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    "What is an RPG" is a tough thing to nail down, and I think everyone's going to have slightly different answers. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. One of October's picks is going to be very interesting indeed.

This week's article is covering something a bit more orthodox. I just have to go write it now!

3. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Well said! I enjoy many types of RPGs too. Everything from Doctor Who Legacy to Dragon Quest. Even Action RPGs like Assassin's Creed Pirates or Injustice. My definition has greatly shifted through the years with many mobile and iOS titles helping me appreciate more modern and infused variations.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    This week's Reload is up!

5. Tylos

Tylos New Member

Sep 25, 2014
    The original puzzle quest would be a great game,the strategy and difficulty is there l,learning how to develop a powerful hero for multiplayer is very challenging. Maybe too much for ya :p

6. Tylos

Tylos New Member

Sep 25, 2014
    please,please put puzzle quest back on the AppStore!the original is 100 times better than any other.i just love how diverse the multiplayer can get!

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Shaun you better review Chaos rings 3 and post it up when it's released ## 5 STARS HUH? lol

8. Rusto2411

Rusto2411 New Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I 100% agree with Tylos! Bring Puzzle Quest back. Such a unique and deep game. So many possibilities and challenging in all the right spots. Bring back this classic so we can relive a true masterpiece!!

9. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Puzzle Quest is really great. I'm pretty sure the computer cheats at times, but whatever, it's still a lot of fun. Sadly, I can't see them bringing it back in its original form, because it's such an easy to thing to retrofit with F2P mechanics and is almost certainly more profitable done that way. I don't hate F2P like some do, but it really has caused considerable damage to stuff like Popcap and D3's games.

10. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Reckon it'll either be Eric Ford or me doing that review. Eric's not as vocal around here, but his RPG cred is just as legit as mine, so either way, I think you guys will enjoy the review when it comes.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Diverse, yes, but pretty imbalanced. However, i do agree that PQ1 is probably the best in its genre. :D

12. Alex214

Alex214 New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Love all the final fantasy, dragon quest & tales series games. I really hope for FFVII would hit ios/android markets with achievements, improved graphics such as chaos rings & eternal legacy. Both FFVI & FFVII are master pieces even though FFVII is the more acclaimed of the franchise i believe that FFVI has a better storyline & character range. Besides those you have to love chrono trigger & secret of mana. There are so many great rpg games & to re-live some of those with improved graphics, typos & sound its a blessing. Casual gaming has moved to mobile & to be able to enjoy favorites on the go is really convenient. I love this thread & i hope that i can find more great rpg's.

13. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Man, that was a great article. A nice highlight to my pretty stressful week. I'll probably read it again later today and play a little SoM during a break while traveling for work. Don't know why, but every time I read one of Shaun's Reloads, it feels a little like Christmas to enjoy a read and then put the game on my iPhone and dive in. Love the history of each game and then the specifics on how the game plays now compared to then. I highly recommend reading the past Reloads if you haven't already!

14. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Considering the recent update, Aralon would be a good choice for a RPG Reload.

15. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Well, which RPGs have you played and enjoyed in the past? Are you looking for something more traditional, or a little out there?

16. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Is anyone exited of the release of the Rpg Undefeated?

17. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah! It's tomorrow, I think.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im pretty amped too :)

19. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    Today should supposedly be at night

20. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    Shaun and what are your thoughts on new' s monthly Kemco's?