The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    #1741 falcon815, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    To quote Quina from the wedding scene in FFIX...

"I... I so happy..."

I wonder which SCC I'll do for old time's sake.

In other news, I've been playing the Etrian Odyssey V demo as a snack between games. My daughter's birthday is this weekend (1!) so I don't have time to dig into anything big. If the demo is any indication, they've cranked up the difficulty a bit; my party was nearly wiped after two battles, and two of them - physical classes, mind.- keep getting OHKOd. Maybe it'll get easier when I hit level 2 and can pick up another skill.

I have also learned that Etrian Odyssey games do not need voice acting. Sorry, VA folks, I'm glad you have work and it's nothing against you, but I really don't mind reading. Plus, we're talking dungeon crawling here; this isn't a story heavy game like a Zero Escape title where greater nuance and emotion in dialogue can enhance the experience.

2. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Started Dragon Quest. I’m actually excited to play it as I’ve heard nice things about the remakes.

I’m not looking forward to DQII, but Shaun’s excellent RPG reload on it has settled some of my nerves. I recall battling through it during its NES release, but finding it very very frustrating at parts.

My goal is DQ I and II by the end of the month. May not be realistic.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    DQI is so fun! I’ve played it through a few times now
    Very good game

4. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Level 7! The exp and gold gains in the remake are really helping. I’ve got an iron axe and some leather armor. Grinding grinding grinding.

5. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Grind, grind, grind for now, pays off later :)

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I loved every minute of this mobile version. The grinding was definitely easier than the original!

7. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    100% agree and it made the overall game a lot of fun too

8. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Terra Battle II is out now
    Says thanks for downloading and you can’t play it until September 20 11 PM PST
    Basically it’s not playable until tomorrow night when the games hit the store which is 9 PM my time so that makes sense to that time

9. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I really want to pick up FFIX on PS4 today in celebration of its release! I mean I've got the crystal tattooed on my arm. But when buying/selling houses and working on pregnancy, even $17 looks like a lot! Hahaha. But man, it's really a great price. I'll fire up the iOS version tonight, though! I'd rather pay full price in a few weeks instead I think. I just hope that theme is a permanent bonus with the game. And since it's the digital version, I wonder if there will be a physical release as well.

10. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Another reason I want a PS4 that and DQ games
    I need to get one I so regret getting Xbox instead a few years ago

11. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Hey.... I just remembered... is FFXI for mobile dead? Wasn't it supposed to launch this year?

12. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I've been wondering about that too. I'm jealous others have had so many more FF games than the West. I would have enjoyed streaming the FFXIII like others have, playing the Type-0 like game, and would definitely give XI a try.

13. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Pretty much done with the Etrian Odyssey V demo. There's one quest item that I just couldn't track down - I wonder if it was hidden behind the locked door I ran across. Regardless, my characters were solidly between levels 9 and 10 and the max level in the demo is 10 anyway, so it's not like completing the quest would have made much difference.

TL;DR it's Etrian Odyssey and it seems good. I will definitely pick it up when it releases in the US, as I did the previous four. Haven't touched the remakes; while I appreciate the quality of life improvements that I heard about in the transition from EO1 -> Untold 1, I didn't feel like it was worth rebuying the game when I liked it just fine the way it was. Similarly, I don't plan to pick up Radiant Historia's remake either.

Not sure what I'll play next. The list of games above still applies, and I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up Dragon Quest VII on 3DS because there still hasn't been word 1 about it leaving Japan on iOS. At this point, I'm guessing that even if they did localize the 3DS version, it would have an iOS requirement over and above what my iPod would be able to run anyway, which kind of defeats my purpose of "DQ 1 - 8 all on one system". Oh well.

14. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I gave up on DQVII coming west around a year ago and just bought the Japan ios version and it's such a great game! Took me a minute to adjust to the language barrier but it was also a catalyst for helping me learn the language better
    if you haven't played VII yet get it any way you can! To me it's the best DQ game on ios... of course some like V and VIII best and i get that too but in my opinion it's VII

FFXI and Type O Online still slated for this year but i agree I don't see it and if something has changed they haven't announced it... I am just so happy about XV Pocket I will be fine either way
    if we get XI, Xv Pocket and Type O then I will be worthless hahaha

15. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Followup on DQ7 - Shaun's main page article about the iOS version in Japan is two years old almost to the day. (I promise I'm done talking about that for now.)

16. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    It’s ok. I’ve never played it but I find myself checking on an iOS FFVIII simply because it drives me nuts you can get 1-7 and 9. I’m working through the DQ games and I guarantee VII not being available will drive me nuts too.

17. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Same here! I've got the original version of FFVIII on my Vita because of it lacking an iOS port. And I'm waiting for DQVII since I don't have a DS. But since it's got a Japanese iOS app, I'm sure we'll see it eventually. I was hoping we'd get a 512GB iPhone first though.

18. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    256 will be quite enough for me. I currently have a 64g phone and it’s getting tight but manageable. I was gaming out 256 gigabytes as I may get an eight at some point and realized all of my wish list would more than fit at that size for a while to come

19. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Still working on Dragon Quest. It's taking time only because I'm not giving it time. But a question for the group:

I've been thinking of trying to find a social rpg to waste time with, but I don't' know what's a good one available in the US App store. Looking for an action RPG or something with straightforward mechanics. I was thinking the Kingdom Hearts game, but wasn't sure. Thoughts?

20. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I still play that omce i a while. It's the only one I play. I find it enjoyable! It's easy to pick up, play through a couple of quests and put down :)