The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    After beating FF1 I am now set on beating part IV enjoying it so far this playthrough just taking my time with it
    just beat Octomammoth

2. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I've only played one of those five games, but I can confirm that Dust is simply wonderful.

I lost steam on Chrono Trigger due to changing contract on my phone, which was needlessly awkward (and really shouldn't have stopped me playing CT, but it did...). Back up again now, but got sidetracked by Love You to Bits, which is adorable.

3. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I beat Transistor, a game I've owned for a while and meant to get around to. Next up is Bastion as part of the play along. Love that game so I'm looking forward to that.

After that, I think it's Dragon Quest. I bought DGI,II, and III a while back and never set aside time. I've played them all but I'm indulging nostalgia here. I want to replay these to psych up for DQV, which I have never played, bought on sale after hearing such good things about it, and promptly set aside.

Curious though, will I need to play DQ IV to get what's going in DQV? I know the Dragon Quest games are different from Final Fantasy where they have trilogies that play into each other. If I skip Dragon Quest IV will I miss anything important?

4. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    #1724 falcon815, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Nah, you're good. The Zenithia Trilogy all share a couple of common elements and you might miss an NPC moment or two, but skipping 4 will not affect your enjoyment of 5.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, DQ6 kind of retroactively ties the three games together, but DQ4 and DQ5 are almost standalone. I think you could play that trilogy as DQ4->DQ5->DQ6 or DQ5->DQ4->DQ6. Your mind will be where it needs to be for DQ5 coming off of DQ3 anyway.

6. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Playing FFIV after FF1 I noticed something that annoys me
    In part I you can save anywhere and in part IV you can't do that but you can quicksave
    Just a min ago I loaded up my game only to realize I should've loaded the quicksave but I'm not used to that due to playing Part I the result is I lost about 30 mins of gameplay :( seeing as the dungeons are longer I don't see why this one doesn't have The save anywhere feature after all this is mobile

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, after playing FFI, it blows me away that ALL the FFs didn't have a save state feature.

8. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I’m used to it now
    Try not to quicksave at all if possible is best way forward ha
    I do like IV a lot so far... I want to complete it because I have the after years and would like to play them together that way

9. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I think it's because they want to keep some tension in the games and keep you from gaming the odds by save-scumming. I think quick saves are the best compromise, but it can be confusing for players sometimes.

The reason why one has save anywhere and the other doesn't is that they were done by different teams, I think. FF1's remake was built by TOSE, while FF4 was Matrix.

10. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
  11. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #1731 Dailon80, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    King's Knight is pretty good for a FTP game... I have put about 30 mins into it... usual FTP stuff pull for characters and weapons etc The gameplay itself is enjoyable.
    Best draw so far is a legendary character Kaliva
    Also as with previous square ftp games I will
    Download the Japan version too and compare can almost guarantee the rewards will be better for the Japan version
    update: rewards are basically the same, us version gave me better draws so I will go with it :)

12. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Awesome! I've been waiting to see what all the fuss was about. Noct and his friends have really been taking it up. And it'll be a nice hold-over until we get FFXVPE.

13. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I still can't believe they are releasing FFXVPE!Thinking about it all the time and can't wait. I love it on xbox one but don't play console enough so this will be awesome
    this one isn't a bad time waster type game
    in some ways its space harrier meets rpg kind of cool like that

14. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    FF Tactics War of the Lions updated so now I am playing it from the start again (still havent beat it) as I said I would do when Square updated it now to balance this and part IV. I updated to ios11 earlier this week hoping this update would happen this week!

15. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I know, right?!? I'm so, so excited for it. Now, since I'm still on my iPhone 6 (that I got in case MHFU never got its update), and just done paying it off through my monthly bills... I'm trying to decide if I should get a new phone (w/new battery) to enjoy FFXVPE on. After really looking at the 256GB options, for only a few dollars more/month, I could get the iPhone X. And since I use my phone for everything, it may be the best choice. I just really wish they offered a 512GB option.

16. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I hear you I’m due an upgrade still on 6sPlus 64 gB and it’s nowhere near enough space for the thousand games I have ha I need a TB :)
    I’m leaning X 256GB as well that’s the one I have eyes on anyways
    Excited to see the new AR these devices will have too could get real interesting on that front

17. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Awesome, let me know how it goes. I found on my last run through that if you use Ramza as a wizard/priest/calculator it'll really open up things. Doing that, I found that I could just enjoy the characters that come along in their base class and let them be them. I think I made Mustadio a Chemist (a natural fit). But other than him, folks like Agrias, Cid, etc, could just stay in their base class most of the game.

18. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Uhh you may want to hold off a couple weeks on any playthrough of FFT. Just sayin'.

:p

19. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Wwwwwwhhhhhhhhaaaaaaattttttttttttt!!!!!!!!

20. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Finished Bastion tonight. I’m thinking I’ll do DQI next. Can’t imagine that’ll take that long to power through.