The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, it's a pretty amazing game. I'm going to have to schedule it in down the road for another article just as an excuse to play more of the expansions. Thanks for reading and commenting!

2. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I like the hand drawn graphics. You're right...it feels like DaggerFall(minus tons of bugs). I need to get back into this and Silversword

3. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    Wow, how did I miss this thread and feature on the site? RPG's are my favorite genre and I've really grown to love rpg's on my iPhone since I have the ability to always get a little more gameplay in while I'm out and about or just too busy to sit down in front of the PS4 or my PC.

More specifically, last week's article sold me on revisiting The Quest Gold. I played some of it years ago when I first got an iPhone 3GS. I never really gave it the time it deserved and moved on. I was pretty shocked to find many still love the game and that it's still being actively supported.

Is there an official thread where people are still actively discussing the game? I know I'm about 5 years late, but it would be cool to discuss the game with people who still might be playing.

Also, is there an official order to the expansions? I'm assuming you can run one character through each one in order?

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #124 undeadcow, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Here's a thread discussing The Quest expansions by level cap: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=78611

You can't play all the expansions with one character because of overlapping level caps (i.e. playing Cursed Chess set will make you over-level for the first celtic expansion, nevermind also the core game). The expansions to The Quest could practically form several sequels.

5. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    Awesome, thanks for that.

Also, one other thing. It looks like The Quest Gold doesn't have any sort of IAP option for the other expansions. How do you load other expansions to play with the same character?

I'm excited to get started :)

6. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    The expansions basically fall into two categories, expansions for new characters and expansions that build off of where you'd likely be after playing the original game and the "official" expansion and then, subsequently, to each other. If memory serves, all the expansions, when merged with the main app, add options to "sail" to the expansion areas in the starting village.

I really wouldn't worry about how to approach the expansions any time soon considering Gold has three expansions as part of it. I found the "new character" expansions to be a bit chaotic in their objectives, to be particularly honest and--I recall the developer admitting as much--the game engine isn't really optimized for the level ranges involved in the later expansions, particularly if you're more of a magic character. Consequently, I think the best experience is found in the gold package already.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #127 undeadcow, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    The Quest expansions are handled in a really classy way. You have to purchase the standalone expansion but once that expansion is installed on the same device as The Quest Gold (or core) then it becomes enabled from within The Quest core and you can delete the expansion file. From there many expansions can be reached by the harbor with your main game save file or character.

Edit: Yeah, what smegly said - just saw that.

8. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    New Reload is up! Give pisiform a cookie for guessing it would be Saturday Morning RPG!

9. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Shaun I love what you're doing here and thank you for it. My two favourite genres in games have always been rpg and adventure games but they often overlap and combine elements of both.

I'd also like to see games like Monkey Island and Dragon's Lair included as they are role playing games too. Maybe when we run out of traditional rpg's then these ones can be reviewed.

Again thanks and hi everyone.

10. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hi Worldcitizen, thanks for your comments and support. I'm not sure those fit what I'm going for here, but if the RPG Reload keeps doing well, there might be room for another feature where they would fit.

11. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Wait, how are those RPGs?

12. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Nice piece on SMRPG. I don't know what it is about the first episode, but I'd installed/deleted the game a couple times based on my experience with it. When I did eventually buy the full game on a whim, I was pleasantly surprised with the other episodes. I think it's a solid chapter retrospectively, but I kind of had to play the rest of the game to fully appreciate it.

This is one of the few games that has actually made me laugh out loud.

13. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Maybe at a later time we can have a reload of adventure games as there are so many.

14. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Shaun I vote for next week for: Lunar: Silver Star Story

15. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Good call! Seconded.

16. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thirded; Lunar Silver Star Story is one port that deserves more attention.

Although I suspect by now Shaun is knee deep in the game for next week already.

17. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Hmmm, chocolate chip please. Shame I haven't a clue what this weeks is.

Shaun, let me just add my thanks for what you're doing with these reloads. They really are the highlight of TouchArcade. I was repeatedly checking my phone on Thursday to see when it was published. Please keep going with this series, it's hugely appreciated

18. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Thanks for the kind words and support. This is a different kind of feature for TouchArcade, so we weren't sure how it would go, but the response so far has been awesome! You guys rock.

As for the suggestions, it seems like Lunar is making a surprise surge! The next reader's choice is 008, so there's still a week or two to vote. Right now, 9th Dawn, Baldur's Gate, and Lunar are leading, so we should have something fun either way.

19. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Doom and Destiny , Baldur's Gate or 9th Dawn would be great but I think Lunar should be the first one, he

20. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I voted for Lunar on the Saturday Morning RPG reload page. Just wanted to post here to make it official. The character development in that game was fantastic. You really feel like you know them and as a result, everything that happens to them feels more significant and personal. Plus who doesn't love flying cats.