The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Christian86

Christian86 Active Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Don't think I've seen either but how about lunar or ff4 those were the 2 that got me into RPGs as a kid

2. DarkAdamm

DarkAdamm Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Is anyone playing Lunar v2? Does it look any better than v1?
    Please keep this RPG Reload thing going.
    I am a RPG fan and this has lead me to a few good games that I was unaware of.
    Thanks

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'll keep writing Reloads as long as you guys will put up with me. Just make sure to spread the word with people you think would enjoy the columns so we can keep TA's pet pteranodon fed and happy. A happy pteranodon is 43% less likely to eat freelancers.

Is there a Fabled Lands 1 on iOS? I only see the second one. Either way, I'll add it to The List. As for Bard's Tale 2, I remember loving it. We'll see if I still feel that way in a year or so when I replay it. And thanks for that bundle heads-up! Amazingly good value there.

4. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    What about uplink? Or even Ascendency?

5. DarkAdamm

DarkAdamm Member

Sep 6, 2014
    I think in the US I just saw that Warlords Classic is for Free. I am going to see if I can get it. Anyone tried this one out?

6. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    To be honest, at least for the next several months, it's unlikely that my picks are going to include any 4X games. I think they have enough RPG elements that if you guys vote for one, I'll write about it, but they don't really fall into what I personally think of when I think 'RPG'.

Vote counted, though! And thanks for the support!

7. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Well, are these traditional RPGs? Strat RPGs?

8. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I consider 4X games to be pretty squarely in the pure strategy game end of things. I guess, and these are just personal definitions of course, the spectrum would have pure RPGs like Ultima and Final Fantasy, pure strategy like Civilization and Simcity, and hybrids sitting in between like Final Fantasy Tactics. The gray zones are huge here, but I feel like 4X games like Ascendancy are sitting very close to the Civ/Simcity end of that spectrum, so they're not immediately springing to mind when I'm personally seeking out stuff for an RPG column.

9. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I really enjoyed the undercroft and gurk iii.

10. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I would love love LOVE them to bring more Gurk games to iOS. That game really caught me by surprise. As for Undercroft, it's on the list, so even if you guys don't vote for it, yadda yadda...

Please choose one for your vote, though! Can't have people electing two games !

11. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Ok, given your reply, i vote for gurk iii!

12. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    I'm going to throw a vote in for Rimelands.

I remember playing this when it first came out until I hit a bug that prevented any progress. Too many other things to do so I never went back and tried again and I'm interested to see someone else's perspective on this game.

By the way has anyone guessed this weeks reload? You're being very quiet about it Shaun. My guess for what's its worth is Saturday Morning RPG as it has the strong school link. I'll wait and see....

13. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    No no, I mean what types of RPGs are you choosing for the article? There are many different types of RPGs.

14. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Oh, pretty much anything. I know so far it's been two turn-based JRPGs and two turn-based WRPGs, but looking at the September schedule, we've got one turn-based game, one roguelike, and one action RPG. I have at least one strategy RPG on the schedule for the next few months, along with a few other hybrids. I'm trying to do one "big" Japanese game, one "big" western game, and one less well-known title each month as my balance.

15. Wolfis

Wolfis New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Please reload the ssi gold box games !!!

Forgotten realms and dragonlance please !!!

16. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    If someone would release them on the App Store, I would, in a heartbeat. Like, clear all the stuff off my desk and do it right away. Alas, I'm not hopeful about those. Seems like a lot of licensing gunk to sort through.

17. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    That would be awesome. Thought I read that an AD&D game was coming to iOS? If so I really hope it's not freemium, but have a feeling it may be.

I'd like to see Gamma World or maybe CarWars on iOS too!

18. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I think that ended up being Lords of Waterdeep. By the looks of things, Ubisoft owns the the rights to the Gold Box games, but they'd have to get a D&D license from WotC. Not impossible, I suppose, just very unlikely.

19. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Haha, well, that's our Baldur's Gate problem sorted, then. Don't think we can hope for the same from Spiderweb's stuff, but still, pretty awesome to have iPhone support for BG. Feel free to vote for it now if you want.

20. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Snap! After many years, I finally bought The Quest Gold, in no small part to your Reload article. It truly is Bethsedaesqe on a mobile device [iPad]. The graphics were not as lo-fi as I feared, although the music and sound is limited and repetitive.

The gameplay is excellent. An astonishing amount of interesting content that one can explore in many different ways. Character development is very reminiscent of Bethseda; especially in terms of how choices can have influence how characters react to you, and what quests become available. There is a cobweb of interconnected strands which interweave in ways that are not immediately obvious.