The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Shall I count that as your vote? :)

2. Of course! :)

Kind regards
    Mario

3. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    #83 PoloBaquerizoH, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Shaun good news! He new Kemco RPG Ilussion of L' Phalcia!
    Looks quite bit interesting, 3d battles as Alphadia Genesis

4. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Ooh, a new EXE-Create game. It's like an apology for making me play a Magitec game two weeks ago!

The Quest Gold article drops in the morning, hope everyone enjoys it. Good luck guessing the next article subject, and don't forget to vote for the next reader's choice!

5. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #85 Echoen, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    I'm happy to report there's Japanese voice acting with English subtitles, MFi support, and even Game Center achievements worth a whopping 1000 points!

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    L'Phacia'll probably be my new go-to Kemco title :D

7. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Uff yeah this one should be an insta buy from kemco or Exe Create, take advantage of the limited time discount!

8. KusanagiShiro

KusanagiShiro Active Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Student
    San Rafael, CA, USA
    Ok. Being a longtime RPG nerd I'm seeing a game most don't play.

Try Sorcerian for iPhone. It's the ONLY Falcom game on the App Store, and features the excellent musical stylings of Yuzo Koshiro.

Need...Ys...on...phone!

Oh and I nominate:
    Vay
    Golvellius
    Lunar
    Shin Megami Tensei
    Secret of Mana
    FFi-VI

Finally....where's Wizardry, Ultima, and Might and Magic? Where's King's Quest?!

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I just want to stop by and mention one of the more unique RPGs available back in the day called Rimelands. It got me info tabletop roleplaying

10. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I would *definitely* be down for some Sorcerian, but I think most of the readers probably wouldn't be able to join in due to its price and the 日本語. So we'll have to save that for a special occasion, I think.

There *is* a Wizardry on the App Store, but it's one of the newer ones from Japan. I'd love to see some of the originals make it. Ultima, we briefly had Ultima IV on the App Store but it's gone now, and something tells me EA's sour on the brand after the failure of the F2P game. Who owns Might & Magic these days? I don't even know. And King's Quest (not really an RPG, but still very good memories for me) is captured in a dungeon somewhere in Activision HQ. Maybe when the new one comes out, they'll release the classics again and iOS will see some love.

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, I would love to play Sorcerian again but the days of me playing with a printed out translation guide on my lap are over, sorry.:)

12. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    Love this idea and thread, still remember making my own maps and having them on my lap playing early Wizardry games.

13. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Maybe I am missing something here? there are a couple massive RPG series that no one even mentioned! Or I missed em! There's the Baldurs Gate series (awesome) and the Avernum series!

Most of us know how fun Baldurs gate (one and two) are! I have the first one on my droid tablet and been thinking of grabbing the second for this iPad. I own the original PC games, actually bought em both Brand spanking new! (I was never one for buying games on the day they came out! The only ones I did we're these two and Diablo II! They cost just over sixty bucks a peice!)

Now Avernum! If you haven't tried em you don't know what your missing. There's few of them for PC and Mac from a small indie company :). IOS also has a couple of em and they are great fun! I would suggest checking them out even if you don't want to do a reload about them!

Ok woah. I forgot an RPG I am in the midst of playing too! Here I'll give you the letters you tell me if it's awesome: koTOR

14. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    There have been some mentions of Baldur's Gate already, according to my scorecard. Surprisingly, I don't think anyone has officially voted for Spiderweb's games. I think KotOR has been mentioned, but to be honest, it's on my to-do list sooner or later anyway.

There's just one little problem with the iPad-only games, and that's that I don't have an iPad yet. I do mean to get one when the next version comes out, so if anything iPad-only wins the vote, I may have to defer it a month or two. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, they're all excellent choices that I *will* write about at some point.

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    QuestLord and Nameless: The Hackers could be other interesting choices.

The "back to school" hint seems tough.

iPad only RPGs? Boo.

16. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    #96 somedumbgamer, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    Wizardry was my first RPG and I was hooked right away. As a kid, I used to carry a Compaq "portable computer" around when visiting family. It was as big as a suitcase and had about a 7" black/green display. I'd play the wizardry games and the bards tale. Never liked making maps with grid paper, but fortunately my older step brother didn't mind so I'd just use his. Wizardry is on iOS (link below), you just have to change the language settings, but it's just not as fun anymore after playing contemporary RPGs

Wizardry外伝〜戦闘の監獄〜Lite by 59Studio. https://appsto.re/us/_3CoE.i

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    How did I miss this thread?

RPG's I'm currently in the middle of are Vangers on PC and Galactic Keep Dice Battles (beta) on iOS.

I agree with this statement - "our daughter's" iPad died many moons ago. :(

Though if you guys decide to play any Spiderweb titles, I'll happily play along on my PC...

Anyone else out there have fond memories of The Bard's Tale II? It's been on iOS twice - in the newer, goofy Bard's Tale game and in the first release of Elite's C64 emulator (but was replaced with Summer Games.)

Another interesting choice might be Fabled Lands. It's unfortunate they never got past book 2.

Also for PC RPG fans, there's a hell of a deal on System Shock 2 and Wizardry 6, 7 & 8 plus others on BundleStars right now ($3.49!)

18. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Neat! That's the PS2 Wizardry game, or rather, one of them. What does the 'Lite' part of it entail? Doesn't seem to be any IAP or a non-Lite version.

19. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    #99 somedumbgamer, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    Good call! It reminded me of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. I was able to change the language to English by following the instructions from Review #9 (in the App Store) titled: It DOES have English

I think the 'Lite' refers to a free version of the full game that never came out?

20. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Okay, did some quick research. Sadly, that Lite version only allows you to go to the second floor of the dungeon. The full game and its expansion are available in the JP App Store (with English options) for ¥3200 and ¥1600 respectively. Wow! Couldn't imagine them releasing for that price outside Japan. There's also a Wizardry social RPG from Namco. That IP is just all over the place in Japan.