The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. cmmc38

cmmc38 Member

Jun 22, 2012
    "Your stalwart band faces death itself in the form of: 2 goblins."

Ahh the bards tale. Brings back find memories of my Apple IIgs. In fact, I think the version included in the iOS release is the IIgs version. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway, huge iOS gamer and RPG nerd here. I am so stoked for this club. I've been wanting something like this for a long time. I remember thinking the day I got the iphone 1 back in July of 2007 what an ideal platform this would be for RPGs.

There's no better way to grind than to whip the phone out and fight a monster or three during a 5 minute downtime.

Looking forward to reliving old memories and making some new ones.

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It is in fact the IIGS version in all its glory. The music still sounds great.

Just bustin' up the catacombs now. Pally/Monk/Bard/Magician/Conjuror/Conjuror. Might retire one of the conjurors for an OP Hunter though.

3. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    This has definitely been a learning experience for me. I walked into the Bard's Tale with a really careless mindset and paid the price for it early on. Things are going pretty smoothly now in the endgame, but this is definitely going to make for a slightly different Reload. I hope you guys like it!

4. zepfhyr

zepfhyr Member

Feb 4, 2010
    #44 zepfhyr, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    I loved The Bard's Tale II on my IIGS when I was younger. I was quite excited to find that the original trilogy was being included as a bonus in the iPad release of the action-RPG remake for Xbox and PC. I still haven't made time to play it, though, so maybe this will finally kick me into gear.

If you never played it, I highly recommend Dragon Wars, as well. Originally planned as The Bard's Tale IV (including some early versions of the game letting you import your characters from previous games in The Bard's Tale series), it had a far more impressive and immersive world with many hours of gameplay and multiple methods for dealing some situations beyond just hitting the enemy until it dies.

The Bard's Tale II and Dragon Wars greatly informed my love of D&D and were very helpful when playing future games like Final Fantasy Tactics by teaching me that party and job structure was very, very important.

If you'd like to play along with The Bard's Tale but don't want to sacrifice all that space on your iPad, then visit virtualapple.org to play it in your web browser. It's the next-best way to play!

5. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Just wanted to say thanks Shaun for the reload which I was looking forward to all week. Great review as always. Looking forward to next week but won't be able to join in unfortunately due to severe lack of free time. Still, have fun and I'll read all about it next thursday

6. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Thanks again for another amazing reload!
    This is so great! Like my dreamarticles!

Not sure about what to ask for. Don't want to be the only one to ask because then it won't happen anyway;) sp exited for the quest though.

I would really like Shin Megami Tensei, just becise I play it right now becuse I can play with one arm. It's so good!!

But if not then Phantasy Star II deserves some love.

7. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I saw you asked for not to much kemco. I'm just wondering. What makes companies make games that has the same miatakes again an again and again and again .... Why do they want to do that? Why not make one or two really good ones? My biggest struggle with them is that I sometimes feel like I read a very long novel that I don't care about.

Just wondering, it makes no sense to me.

8. inclining

inclining Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Redwood City, CA
    The berserkers were in four groups of 99 each :D I used many a Fire Horn charge on those guys, not to mention Mangar's Mind Blade. Great way to power level, if you could survive the fight. And don't forget to visit Roscoe's Energy Emporium afterward to zap your mages full of spell points.

Yes! This is what I came to the thread to say. I'd love to see one or more of the Phantasy Star titles get covered. Phantasy Star II is a great choice, and it already has a (somewhat neglected) iOS port!

9. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Phantasy Star II is definitely on the list, but it won't be for a while unless you guys vote it. I want to try to balance things out with some original iOS/mobile stuff, too, at least for my picks. You guys are free to vote for whatever you like, of course.

10. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I enjoyed those Sega ports too, but I'd love to see some more iOS originals too! Ash, Saturday Morning RPG and Fall of Angels are my votes. I still haven't play Fall of Angels yet. And man, I wish SMRPG would get another episode. A Halloween one would be amazing!

Can't wait to download The Quest Gold and give it another try. I just kept dying when I first got it.

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Shantae Risky's Revenge

12. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Haha, now that one is pushing it, but okay, vote counted.

13. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Yes! This is what I came to the thread to say. I'd love to see one or more of the Phantasy Star titles get covered. Phantasy Star II is a great choice, and it already has a (somewhat neglected) iOS port![/QUOTE]

Yay another one!!

Of course it was nice of sega ti release Shining Force and Phantasy Star II, but kind of evil too. I have waited and waited and I can't see why they wouldn't keep us fans happy. It's not like it's that difficult to do. I am happy with the ports too, so just continue the style, just do it!

14. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Uhm shantae is a good game, but in what world is that an rpg?

15. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    And if it is not noted yet, I doubt anyone would vote for Shin Megami Tensei, so my vote goes to Phantasy Star II. Sorry you won't see me voting for flashy stuff as long as there is classics to pick from. With some exeptions maybe.

Wish I could play these games with you. All games should be possible to play with one hand!

16. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    First, thanks for your feedback and votes. I can't comment on everyone's posts, but I read every single one and I'm proud to stand in the number of such excellent RPG Wizards, Warriors, Bards, and Ninjas as yourselves.

I think it just comes down to money. They likely have a core group of people who will buy their new games no matter what. That number isn't terribly large, so the budgets follow. Whether they release every month or every six months, with something good or something bad, the numbers probably don't change much. I also wish they'd make a strong effort, just to see what could come of it. There are a lot of great ideas among their developers that I'd love to see nurtured and flourished.

17. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Yes that's the thing, the games has many strong points, but then there's these annoying things that makes them just average in the end. Sad.

I just wish we could have more quality like Shin M T, Phantasy Star, Lunar, Shining Force osv.

Shaun? I looked here yesterday and the new update to Lunar is here. Have you tried it? And if so is it smart to do that update yet?

I am so worried that I will loose the ability to play it in portrait mode and therefore the ability to play it at all now. Do you know if that will happen?

18. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Portrait is working fine post-update on my iPhone 5S. I don't think you need to worry.

19. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Tht's good to know! Hopefully my ipod four will be able to handle it too, but I read somewhere that you could turn off the great graphics or something.

20. zepfhyr

zepfhyr Member

Feb 4, 2010
    There are so many great RPGs for iOS that I look forward to seeing what else comes along. Just to give people some ideas on what they should consider voting for, here’s a list of some of the best (or, at least, unique and underserved) ones I’ve played so far:

Rimelands
    Ash I & II
    Adventure Bar Story
    Cthulhu Saves The World
    Saturday Morning RPG
    Song Summoner Encore
    The World Ends With You

There are so many more, but those are the ones that I’ve currently got installed on my devices that I think are worth a shoutout and aren’t obvious (like Final Fantasy 1-6 or Dragon Quest).