The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Up until now, I've started clean each month. I'll probably do the same under the new rules.

2. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    New RPG Reload is up, covering Silversword! Hope you guys enjoy it, it's a long one!

Next week, I will defend the indefensible! STAY TUNED!

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Silversword is an epic game from a devoted developer. Well deserved RPG Reloaded feature.

4. DarkAdamm

DarkAdamm Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Wow. I voted for Silversword a while back but I didn't even know it was in the running. Great article. You convinced me to give it a try.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    New Reload is up!

WHO WANTS TO READ 3,600 WORDS ABOUT FINAL FANTASY 2?!

he says to an empty room

6. jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Hehe. I Want to!!

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    You're gonna make me want to put it back on my phone and play more of it, aren't you. And I was happily forgetting it existed until today. Oh well, at least it's got snow in it.

8. jesse_dylan

Jun 4, 2014
    I've been meaning for a while to go through FF I through VI since I have them all on iPhone. Although I will be playing the nifty PSP version of IV since I don't like 3D version ick! Although it certainly looks a little better on iOS than it did on DS.

9. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I love both the DS (iOS) version of FF4 *and* the PSP version. They offer very different experiences. The PSP version is basically the ultimate expression of the original game, with beautiful graphics, swappable end-game parties, and tons of extra content, while still delivering the classic experience for the bulk of the game. The DS version, on the other hand, completely mixes up a game that's been re-released perhaps a few too many times, changing boss tactics and allowing you to customize your characters, though not your party. I love how challenging it is, and it is kind of cool to see the gang in 3D with voices reading out the cheesy dialogue.

10. jesse_dylan

Jun 4, 2014
    Yeah, you make a good case there, Shaun, and I do feel fortunate that probably my favorite game of all-time has been released in such variety so that I can keep playing it over and over. I was just always turned off by that very basic 3D look, not so much the characters but just the overall look of it. It reminds me a little too much of a PS1 RPG (although at least it's not the type with the sprite-based characters and 360 rotatable landscapes ick). FFIX and the like have held up darn well, but FFIV in 3D... I always wished they'd done it even on PS2 instead of DS. Alas! That was the end of the 3D remakes.

11. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I would. It's probably my least favorite in the series insofar as playing it, but I think it's one of the most interesting.

12. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I think ff2 has the best story in terms of epic.

13. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Man, I just loved hitting my own teammates just to level up faster! That was an interesting addition.

14. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    You're just jealous cuz you didn't think of it first.

15. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Sure. But I really loved it. Spent hours doing it just to stack my stats!

16. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    Hi Shaun, did you ever play the Turbo Graphics 16 D&D game that came out. Can't recall the name, order of the gryphon? Has that been made available again?

17. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    +1 love it!

18. ociris

ociris Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Finally found this thread! And at a good time too. First off, great thread Shaun. RPG's have been a part of my life ever since I was a kid. Your articles take me back to my childhood and the nostalgia just kicks in. Please do correct me I'm wrong in posting this but I feel like the people here are the authority in choosing what's the best. I have $4. On which RPG should I spend it on? I have been eyeing Secret of Mana but I want to make sure that I'm spending my dollars wisely. Thank you!

19. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Hey Shaun, have you ever made a Top Ten iOS RPG of all time list? Or best of list?

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Epic 2014 RPG round-up; well done!