The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    That's da one

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    New one's up, folks! Have fun reading about Zenonia, which actually got removed from the App Store in REAL TIME as I wrote this.

3. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Bummer ;-;

4. JackMule

JackMule Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    My vote: Final Fantasy V (or II if you're trying to keep things linear). I'd vote for something else, but I've played few RPG's on mobile.

5. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Hey Shaun the hint bird blade... Is it third blade by com2us?

6. Kling

Kling New Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I suggest wild frontier by KTH, it was compared a lot with zenonia 3 and sadly is no longer on the app store (just like zenonia) but remains a worthy game of this thread.

7. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    As a general rule, I won't be covering games that aren't on the App Store anymore. There are a few reasons for that. Many pulled games won't run on the latest iOS version, some of them (like Wild Frontier) I don't own and therefore can't play, and I think it's just frustrating for many readers to read a bunch of words that get them excited to play a game only to find they can't get it.

Zenonia only went ahead because it was pulled the night before the post went up and there simply wasn't time to run anything else in its place. Rather than skip the Reload for the week, we opted to go ahead with what I'd written anyway.

I am watching for Wild Frontier, though, and if it ever returns, it will probably get a write-up. Thanks for the suggestion!

8. DarkAdamm

DarkAdamm Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Request

How about Silversword. I notice they are still supporting it and I keep debating on playing it but keep putting it off. That would be my vote if interested.

9. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Got some extra credit and thinking of picking up one of these. Any suggestions?

IB3
    Chrono Trigger
    Secret of Mana
    Lunar Silver Star
    Baldurs Gate
    Chaos Rings Omega

Or should I just wait for a Christmas sale?

10. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    That's a list of games everyone should have.
    By my taste Lunar is the best straight JRPG on it.
    Baldur's Gate stands out as a game that probably got the most people into RPGs.
    Chrono Trigger is a great early(ish) JRPG with some interesting game mechanics to separate it from the crowd. Secret of Mana and it's yet to be released to the west sequel, Seiken Densetsu 3, are some of the best ARPG's ever. Including the Zelda games.
    Chaos Rings Omega is very similar to the other Chaos Rings titles. If you liked them and you're wanting more, a great pick.
    IB3 is probably the best looking game on the AppStore. Also, the most content in the series.
    I guess it depends what you're in the mood for. The Square titles will go on sale shortly and if you've waited this long, a little longer can't be terrible.
    I'm guessing that didn't help narrow the list down. You just happened to choose some all really good games to ask about. Personally if I could only get one, it'd be Lunar or Secret of Mana... Probably.

11. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Of all of these, the only one that has almost no chance of going on sale is Lunar, so I'd get that one if you're planning to take advantage of sales later.

I'd need more info about you, beyond that. Have you played CT, SoM, Lunar, or BG before? Are you using an iPad or an iPhone primarily? Do you have an MFi controller?

Personally (if you haven't played any of them), I'd rank them: Chrono Trigger, IB3, Chaos Rings Omega, Lunar, Secret of Mana, Baldur's Gate, but there are no losers on that list at all.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah, pretty much. That is a great list.

13. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    IB3 and Chrono are my two favorites on that list. But Lunar is almost right there with them. If you're looking to get something now, I'd probably suggest Lunar as well. The others will more than likely see Christmas sales. Although, Autumn is a perfect time to play Chrono Trigger. That game can be as long or short as you want it to be, and it is just awesome.

14. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I swear Nobie, if you're not in sales... you ought to be. Somehow you have me wanting to buy every one of these games! Thanks for the feedbag, I think you have me narrowing my search to Chrono and Mana.

I do have a controller. My main focus to date has been ARPG's such as Devil May Cry, Pocket RPG, Infinity Blade, Hero of Sparta, Sacred Odyssey, Lara Croft, Chaos Rings and such. Recently I've been playing games like Warhammer that have more of an upgrade system and starting to get the hang of it. I don't mind grinding too much but all the fetching gets to be wearisome. (strange cause I loved Deathspank which has a ton of quests)
    I primarily play on an iPhone, my wife usually bogarts the iPad. I was able to get IB3 for a buck during the sale so thats off my list.
    Thanks all for the advice and comments! =) Appreciated.

15. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Just a heads-up, the Reload isn't going up today as the editors are enjoying the day with their families. It will be posted tomorrow.

16. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    In case you missed it, the new Reload is up, covering Ravensword: The Fallen King. That's it for Origins Month, next month has no theme, but you can count on some Grade-A, 100% Genuine Akitoshi Kawazu apologism during one of the weeks.

17. Silversword on iPhone 5+6

Hi Shaun,

you will probably notice that I did not modify the Silversword UI for the iPhone5+6 resolution yet (it's simply stretched). Works fine on an iPad, tho ;-)

kind regards
    Mario

18. Sildani

Sildani Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2013
    High school social studies teacher
    NOVA
    Mind doing Final Fantasy Tactics at last? It may well be hoary and done to death, but there's a reason for that: it's bloody excellent. I'd like to read your insights into this game, since you have a talent for bringing up little things I'd never considered before.

My birthday's on the 11th. No reason I mention it though. Ahem.

Have a better one! Keep writing, I'll keep reading.

19. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I think you're going to be happy in January regardless of the reader's choice outcome, friend. :)

20. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    A quick question -- do you tally the user votes each month? Or do user votes 'stand' until you review the game voted for?