The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Haven’t posted in a while, but umm still plugging away at DQV. It’s been busy at work so I only get a few hours a week at most. I’ve restored Zenithia and I’m grinding a bit with the kids before I make a run at the ultimate key.

I have to say, the Slime Knight is a spectacular party member.

2. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I like him in V and VI :)

3. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #2083 Dailon80, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Dragon Quest IX has been announced for Steam and PS4 September 2018
    Wish we could get it on mobile :)
    I got 1-8 and it would be great to play IX on mobile
    Maybe one day ;)
    My bad it’s DQXI and it’s Sept 4 2018 ps4 and steam
    Not IX

4. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Taking a brief respite haha from DQVI today and learning Valkyrie Profile Lenneth since I picked it up from Japan App Store
    Very excellent game! Maybe it will get a world wide release at some point but I wouldn’t count on it being a for sure thing

5. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    #2085 OrangutanKungfu, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    I had Valkyrie Profile Lenneth back in the day on PSP. I remember enjoying it, getting a good chunk of the way through, but then I started reading up about all its one-time secrets - some of which seemed ridiculously obtuse - and I just kind of lost heart and lost steam. Moral of the story: stop fussing about min-maxing, stay away from FAQs, and just enjoy the darn game.

Getting well into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 now, although I'm still in Chapter 1, and I'm finding it really hard not to consult websites - there is just so much going on, so many systems and crystals and equipment and quests etc. Spend a while doing sidequests with just the main character - which makes battles a lot harder - and then went back to the main story and picked up a robot, Poppi/Hana, who has the most ridiculously complicated menu system. Still, I am having a whale of a time. Need to steer clear of FAQs...

Also made a start on Dragon Quest IV on iOS, at last. Again, still only Chapter 1, but am finding it very charming. It's so simple and stress-free compared with Xenoblade!

Edit: I was actually in Chapter 2 of Xenoblade, which I realised once I began Chapter 3 last night. Super game.

6. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    It seems a tough game I’m doing just that playing it and enjoying it
    No concern with trying to beat it first have to figure it out my way ha
    I’m playing DQV-VIII at the moment I’m at least 30 hours into all of them haha

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I really, really wish we could get that classic 2D version of 3DS DQXI on mobile like the other classics. It would compliment my PS4 version I’ll be getting.

8. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Yes, since DQXI isn't coming to 3DS in the West (weird move), it makes sense for Squeenix to polish up the 2D port for mobile and/or Switch, rather than just downgrade the visuals of the PS4 version. After playing the latest Layton on mobile, I am totally behind this 3DS and mobile joint release thing. Level-5 deserve a lot of credit for that (but they very much didn't).

9. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    They did say it will be coming to switch but it said "much later" sheesh
    I want IX, X and XI mobile! haha

10. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    I really want DQVII. Bummed as I’m near the end of V and wouldn’t mind continuing on after VI.

11. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I love it
    In a lot ways it’s like vi now that I have played vi a lot more
    Of course graphics and all that are much better
    Total on mobile I have put in over 100 hours across a couple save files on vii
    I wish it would come out in the West I would buy it again if I had to for an English version
    DQV-VIII are my favorite games of any

12. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    I met the final boss in V. I lost. I’ve gone back to level up, re equip, and grab new monsters. I finally got the Golem/King Cure Slime/Slime Knight group.

I’m enjoying Sancho as a party member. He’s pretty crazy and Whistle is very helpful for grinding.

I’m honestly in no rush to beat V as I’ve enjoyed it immensely. One nice touch is that your son learns all the traditional “main character” spells. It’s another subtle reminder that in Chapter III maybe you aren’t the hero.

13. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Update. I beat DQV. But I’d sold all my TNT tickets after getting the free pass which has complicated one of the post game tasks. So I’ll be setting this aside now to move on.

DQV was everything I’d heard it was. This was an amazing game with a lot of very moving moments. If anything fell short it was the dialogue with your wife post marriage. Bianca wasn’t that great a character and seeing her disappear so quickly for so much of the game was disappointing.

I think this was a worthy successor to DQIV. Like DQIV it played with expectations and tropes well. It introduced a lot of interesting ideas. And it did so within a very established formula in terms of game mechanics.

I’m looking forward to DQVI. I’ll probably start it in a few weeks.

14. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I picked up a Vita this weekend! The store I bought it from had a few games and I got Conception II by Atlus Games
    I have the free demo for DQ Builders which I am going to pick up in a couple weeks, FFVIII I am getting today yay!
    What's some other good Vita RPG games?
    wish they had more DQ games for Vita

15. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    VI is a blast! I enjoyed it more than V and I loved V... you will like it!

16. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I didn't realize the Secret of Mana remake was on Vita, way cool
    glad i got it now ha

17. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    CONGRATS!!!!! You've got one of the best RPG machines ever. Here are some of the games I've got on mine right now.

World of Final Fantasy
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
    Chrono Cross
    Lord of Arcana (Square-Enix's attempt at Monster Hunter)
    Dissidia Duodecim
    Adventures of Mana
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Final Fantasy X HD
    Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Dragon Quest Builders
    Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley
    Oceanhorn
    Dragon Fantasy Book I
    FIFA 15
    ...and a couple others.

Plus I have a ton that I can't even fit on the memory card. And despite all of those, I end up playing my PS4 games via remote play most of the time. It's just so awesome seeing PS4 quality visuals on a handheld. Lately, I've streamed FFXV, Dissidia NT, Monster Hunter World, and the Secret of Mana remake. I'll probably pick up SoM Vita version when it goes on sale, as well as the Dragon Quest Builders PS4 version when it goes on sale. I'd buy both Vita/PS4 versions at the same time if they implemented cross-save like they did with World of Final Fantasy or FFXHD. But, I really love using my Vita more than a TV! Hope you have a blast with it.

18. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    so many good RPGS i keep discovering more plus you can play from other consoles just picked up Final Fantasy 8
    yes memory card is the hard part
    the store only had one and it was 4GB so at least they had that and so now i will find a bigger one to order online (they are not cheap hahaha) at least i have one to start with

19. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, the memory cards really restrict what I put on it. But when I bought mine off of eBay, the seller included a 16GB card I think. So, I'm just going to use that probably. But yeah, they are way too expensive. STILL. The only downside to the Vita is that you have to wipe it if you want to play Japanese store games. I wish you could play under multiple PS accounts, but you have to pick one region at a time.

20. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011

Congratulations!! One of the best consoles you can have if you love rpg's. I love mine with a passion. Thought I'd chime in with what I have on mine:

Persona I-4.
    FF I-X
    FFX-2
    FF Tactics
    Vagrant Story
    Front Mission 3
    Suikoden I and II
    Grandia
    The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel I and II
    Sega Mega Drive Collection:
    Phantasy Star I-III
    Sword of Vermillion
    Romancing SaGa2
    Asdivine Hearts
    Criminal Girls: Invite Only
    Monster Monpiece
    Child of Light
    Alundra
    Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
    Secret of Mana
    Lost Dimension
    Demon Gaze
    Wild Arms
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

And ai haven't even started to collect all Atelier on it.

Only thing I wish is that I bought a bigger memory card. I wish I had 64 GB instead of 32.