The October-November 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Final Fantasy Tactics

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Sep 28, 2017.

1. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Good breakdown, Dr. Traveler. Beat me to it since I was on a road trip today. Though you missed one way to lower Brave - Mystic has a spell that lowers target Brave by 30 per hit. Orators are more generally useful on that front, being able to raise (+4 each) and lower (-20 each) both Br/Fa at will.

Unlike low Faith, low Brave is only outright helpful in one formula - "Treasure Hunt" movement ability of the Chemist. The lower your Brave, the higher chance you have of finding certain great items. This is why many folks use Rapha as their Treasure Hunter, since her Brave starts at 31.

2. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    #142 Dr.Traveler, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Yep. Low Brave is really only useful for treasure hunting. And it could potentially cause a unit to leave. I typically max out the Brave on my main units.

But Faith really is a strategic choice. Thanks to Chemists a group of warriors with low faith scores really is a viable build.

The one mechanic I’ve never embraced is zodiac compatibility. That’s a huge mystery to me that I just don’t get. But I’m pretty sure that you were using that right?

3. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Of course! It's quite useful, and somewhat abusable in two ways:

- The internal compatibility of your team can drastically increase the success of buffs
    - If you build around compability with Virgo, it can greatly reduce the difficulty of many of the bosses, because so many of them are Virgos

Basically, there's a compatibility multiplier in every formula in the game that either affects a skill or attack's damage or success rate:

Best compatibility: damage or success rate multiplier is 1.5
    Good compatibility : 1.25
    Neutral compatibility: no change
    Bad compatibility: 0.75
    Worst compatibility: 0.5

So, for example, when I was using Preach wth my Orators, the basic formula is this: (50% success rate) * multiplier + character's magic attack. I forget where the parentheses go in this case, but bear with me. Typically this would result in success rates between 54-58% throughout the game. However, since I built my team with some internal Good compatibility, I was getting (50%) * 1.25 + MA, which gave me a base success rate of more like 64-68% instead. Pretty big difference.

Anyway. The compatibility chart is just like the astrological "hey man, you're a male Gemini, your best shot would be with a female Sagittarius" chart. You can find it easily enough by searching GameFAQs (and my wife wrote the Zodiac guide there), and you can also find it in-game through the status screen on your character by clicking to the information menu and then clicking the zodiac sign.

But, using Virgo as an example, here is its information: Good compatibilty to Capricorn and Taurus; Bad compatibility to Gemini and Sagittarius; Best/Worst compatibility to Pisces.

Best/Worst varies with gender. If the two people being considered are the same gender, it's Worst; if they are opposite gender, it's Best. Certain bosses do not count as having a gender, which changes the compatibility to Bad no matter what gender the player character is.

Lots of information for the short version. Check out my wife's guide or ask me more questions if stuff is unclear.

4. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Wow it is a lot deeper than I though!

I'm in chapter four now I think. Limberry is next battle.

5. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Good luck. The Limberry battles in Chapter Four are some tough battles. From here things get interesting fast.

If you do the side quests you’ll get some neat characters, chances at cool loot (using thieves and treasure hunter), and some fun story scenes. But you will kill the tempo of the story missions.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    This thread has gotten pretty quiet, so I'm going to put up something small for those who have finished FFT to pick away at this month. Watch for it at the usual time!

7. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I think I forgot to post, but I managed to finish it! Thanks to Shaun for having this reload since it made me actually finish it this time!

8. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Phew - so I hit the Dorter Slums, and my four level 2 squires and two level 2 chemists were pretty much laughed off the screen. I took the brick wall as a hint, and took a breather for a few weeks to play a bit more Super Mario Odyssey, Million Onion Hotel and do other stuff.

So, after reading up a bit more, I have got my head more around the job system, more or less restarted the campaign, and now ... I'm hooked. So glad to get into this game - it's everything people have said it was.

9. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Yay :D

10. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Return to FFT: WoTL

Konnichiwa bitches!

Good lord, it has been forever since I lasted posted on TA. Trust a Shaun Musgrave JRPG article to resurrect my interest. Since I was last on TA: partner and I have had our Little Man (now 21 months) - technically speaking, she was the one who gave birth but I digress; moved out of London and bought a house, etc. In short, no time to game whatsoever. Hell, I'm still on the final dungeon of FFIII 5 sodding years after buying the game! #prayforriotgirl

I've been thinking about restarting FFT (was 16 hours in) for quite some time, as I'm itching to get back into it again - even if Dorter City Slums brings back bad memories.

I need to finish Oceanhorn first, then I'll restart FFT on normal mode - but any deaths during story mode are permanent. I like the drama and tension.

I realise the challenge period has been and gone, but this thread has acted as a catalyst to rekindle my interest. Quite where I'm going to find time to actually play the goddamn game is another story ...

Cheers!